NFL 2017

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The Steelers released James Harrison

The Patriots signed James Harrison

:bang:
I hear he hasn't played a single snap in two months. :idunno: There's a theory that he's strictly for if NE faces KC, because he's got the LT's number. :idunno:

Anyway, :chuckle:. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There's a theory that he's strictly for if NE faces KC, because he's got the LT's number.

There's a theory here in Pittsburgh, that he's strictly at NE in case NE faces Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game......Harrison will be able to tell Belichick & Brady everything the Steelers do on defense (as if they need that info).

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
There's a theory here in Pittsburgh, that he's strictly at NE in case NE faces Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game......Harrison will be able to tell Belichick & Brady everything the Steelers do on defense (as if they need that info).
:chuckle: Could be .. :)

Jerry Shugart

Well.....so much for the Cowboys.

They had Elliot and Lee back, and still lost at home to a team that only had a total of 136 yards from their offense.

As I'm sure most of you already know, the Seahawks had 142 yards in penalties. Which made them the first team since 1966 to win a game with more penalty yards than yards from offense.

The offensive coaching for the Boys in that game was pitiful. At about the time they started getting their rushing game going good the coaches started calling pass plays.

To make it worse, instead of calling play-action passes to take advantage of their running plays they emptied their backfield so everyone and their dog knew they were going to pass.

I have a feeling that Scott Linehan, their Offensive Coordinator, will be fired. Good riddance!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The last week is just a giant coin toss for many of the games, but why not?

1. Chi @ Min (12.5): I went the other way on this one because a) the line it huge and b) the Vikes don't really need to prove anything or keep their starters in. Will they anyway? Who knows? It's week 17, Throw a dart.

2. Cle @ Pit (14.5): sort of the same thing, but I'm throwing the dart the other way. Why? Because the Browns are flirting with a piece of history and if you're going to go down that rabbit hole why not go with flare?

3. Dal (2.5) @ Phi: I'm finally picking against Philly. Dallas doesn't need to get anyone hurt and Philly will be trying to get their qb back in his game after last week. Which can only mean one thing, a meaningless Cowboys victory. :plain:

4. GB @ Det (7.5): if the Lions can't win this one they'll lose more than a game.

5. Hou @ Ind (3.5): because I still remember being a Colts fan, Indy.

6. Jet @ NE (15.5): cold weather in New England? A good tune up for Tom and Co. and they need to lock up the #1 position.

7. Was (3.5) @ Gia: Washington puts the ignoble cap on an embarrassing season for New York.

Afternoon games in a minute.

8. Car @ Atl (3.5): December has been a down scoring month for Atlanta. I like Carolina to upset.

9. Buf (2.5) @ Mia: should be the Bills, but I can't work up much for them on the road and this is exactly the sort of pointless win the Fins like to post.

10. Cin @ Bal (9.5): the Ravens should win this one. By this much? I don't know. I didn't work the math this week, so I'm going to say sure, a playoff mentality and a lack of composure on the Bengals side allows for it.

11. KC @ Den (3.5): I'm going to take the Chiefs in an upset. Meaning they'll probably rest starters and lose 3-0 :mmph:

12. Jac @ Ten (5.5): a good team plays the better team's backups. Come on Titans.

13. Oak @ (SD 7.5): I like the Chargers to put up some numbers. I'm no longer sure Oakland recalls how.

14. SF @ Rams (3.5): will this be the day that SF remembers who they were before Jimmy got there? Will Jimmy crack corn? I don't care. But just to be stubborn, LA is likely going to rest and if they do the Niners can get them. I'm taking the still unlikely upset.

15. NO (7.5) @ TB: Saints. They clinch the division with a win and they're playing excellent, balanced football. The Bucs aren't.

16. Arz @ Sea (8.5): Seattle needs this and they need to win it making a statement. It's now or never...though it may be now and never, depending. Seahawks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm running actual numbers as the early games go on to see if I would have called it the same. I'll post them here in a few.

1. Chi to keep it closer.
2. Pit to cover. Correction: Browns to upset.
3. Philly to upset the line.
4. Det to cover.
5. Ind to cover.
6. NE to cover.
7. Gia to upset by the half point.
8. Atl to cover.
9. Mia to upset.
10. Bal to cover.
11. KC to upset.
12. Jac to upset.
13. SD to cover.
14. Rams to cover.
15. NO to cover.
16. Arz to upset.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pit to cover. Correction: Browns to upset.

LOL...the Steelers, for the second year in a row, beat the Browns with their JV Team.

It's very sad when the Brown's starters can't beat the Steeler's 2nd & 3rd string players.

Oh well....such is life when your team is 0-16, and 1-31 the last two years.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If it were me, I would bring head coach Hue Jackson back for 2018....what are the odds of going 1-47?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
LOL...the Steelers, for the second year in a row, beat the Browns with their JV Team.
A line upset. I didn't expect the Browns to beat anyone but themselves. :eek:

So far today...

1. Chi to keep it closer.
I had it 10 - 21. Final: 10 - 23. Lost by the half point. :mmph: 0-1

2. Pit to cover. Correction: Browns to upset.
:D 1-1
3. Philly to upset the line.
This is where the numbers need tempering. 1-2
4. Det to cover.
:D 2-2
5. Ind to cover.
:D 3-2
6. NE to cover.
:D 4-2
7. Gia to upset by the half point.
:D 5-2

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:mock: Baltimore Ravens

Tyler Boyd (went to Pitt) scored with 40 seconds left to eliminate the Ravens.

The Bengal's win, puts the Buffalo Bills in the playoffs for the first time since 1999. However, the Bill's LeSean McCoy (went to Pitt) has a serious ankle injury, and may not play in the playoffs.

:mock: Seattle Seahawks

But thanks for eliminating Dallas last week.

So, it's looking more and more like a Steelers vs. Patriots AFC Championship Game. Unlike the Steelers, the Patriots played Brady and their starters to secure the home field throughout. Led by Brady, and Dion Lewis (went to Pitt) the Patriots had no problem with the Jets.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just how bad are the Browns?

The Browns were 0-16 this year. They were 1-15 last year.

However, they were 1-10 in their last 11 games of 2015.

So....that's 2-41 in their last 43 games.

Can you imagine playing 43 football games, and only winning 2 of them?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Picking up my picks with the afternoon games I set out earlier:

8. Atl to cover.
6-2 :D The Falcons did what they had to do to keep from falling prey to the SB curse.

9. Mia to upset.
:mmph: 6-3 And another Fin qb mishap.

10. Bal to cover.
:mmph: 6-4 Wow. That just shouldn't have happened. Lucky break for the rest of the AFC playoff teams as until this debacle the Ravens had been building to a playoff run as a dark horse.

11. KC to upset.
:D 7-4 There you go.

12. Jac to upset.
:D 8-4 Not by much, but by enough.

13. SD to cover.
:D 9-4 Too bad it won't get them in. Another dangerous AFC team on the outside while the Bills and Titans limp in to exit early.

14. Rams to cover.
:chuckle: :mmph: Okay, with back ups and the way SF is playing, foreseeable, but without adjusting the numbers I feel comfortable. :mmph: 9-5, but I would not be kept from double digits.

15. NO to cover.
Gave the game away. :mmph: 9-6. I said I would not be kept from double digits.

16. Arz to upset.
:D 10-6, and the upset pulled me back and capped off a pretty darn good season of double digit wins against the line, on average. :D

Can't wait to look at the playoff picture and start the breakdown. :thumb:

Jerry Shugart

Just how bad are the Browns?

The Browns were 0-16 this year. They were 1-15 last year.

However, they were 1-10 in their last 11 games of 2015.

So....that's 2-41 in their last 43 games.

Can you imagine playing 43 football games, and only winning 2 of them?

That's almost as bad as the Steelers played between 1933 and 1971 when they made the playoffs just once, in 1947, when they were shut out by Philladelphia.

Imagine that! Only one playoff game in 38 years! And they didn't even score one point!

The Steelers were the Browns for the first 38 years in the history of the NFL.

drbrumley

That's almost as bad as the Steelers played between 1933 and 1971 when they made the playoffs just once, in 1947, when they were shut out by Philladelphia.

Imagine that! Only one playoff game in 38 years! And they didn't even score one point!

The Steelers were the Browns for the first 38 years in the history of the NFL.

OUCH!!!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Imagine that! Only one playoff game in 38 years!

Currently, your Cowboys have won TWO playoff games in the last 22 years.

IMO, that's harder to do than what the Steelers did from 1933-71. Because back in those days only two teams made the postseason. Today, twelve teams make the postseason every year.

Despite twelve teams making the postseason every year, the Cowboys have managed to only win TWO postseason games in 22 years.

The Steelers won two postseason games just last year. Yet, it's taken the Cowboys 22 years to do what the Steelers did in one year.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Poor Jerry......when the playoffs start this weekend, his Cowboys will be golfing.

Meanwhile....the Steelers will be looking to add yet another postseason win to their already NFL leading 36 postseason wins (most all-time in the NFL)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Most Postseason Wins by Team

36- Steelers
34 - Cowboys
34- Packers
32 - Patriots
31 - 49'ers

Jerry Shugart

Currently, your Cowboys have won TWO playoff games in the last 22 years.

That is one playoff win every eleven games. The Steelers played in only one playoff game during a 38 year span, and in that game they didn't even score one point!

In the last 25 years the Cowboys have won three Super Bowls and during that time the Steelers only won two!

Most Postseason Wins by Team

36- Steelers
34 - Cowboys

The Cowboys have the highest winning percentage of any team in the NFL. The Steeler's winning percentage is somewhere near the middle of the pack, average at best!

Poor Jerry......when the playoffs start this weekend, his Cowboys will be golfing.

Meanwhile....the Steelers will be looking to add yet another postseason win to their already NFL leading 36 postseason wins (most all-time in the NFL)

It would have been the other way around if your best running back was unfairly docked six games instead of Zeke.