NFL 2017

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As things sit (and they're fluid) I have the most likely outcome a Rams/New England Super Bowl, with the Pats losing a tight game, possibly wrapping the dynasty in a reflection of the way it began. That would be interesting.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
:mock: Baltimore Ravens
You could see sadness in the eyes of coach Harbaugh when that one ended. It is just a game, and these guys are rolling in money, but that was still genuine sadness. Somehow, it puts pro football into perspective, and it justifies being a pro football fan, because it's so eminently human, even among grownups of extremely above average strength for their above average sizes, these men who clobber each other and get clobbered for a (very handsome) living, there's deep humanity on those fields. It's why we love it. It's like theater without the acting; the end is not scripted.
So, it's looking more and more like a Steelers vs. Patriots AFC Championship Game. Unlike the Steelers, the Patriots played Brady and their starters to secure the home field throughout. Led by Brady, and Dion Lewis (went to Pitt) the Patriots had no problem with the Jets.
And Harrison's strip sack and then sack, didn't go unnoticed in NE. Neither did we fail to notice that NE went 16-0 for the regular season again in the most important way---Brady wasn't injured for the season. Ask Green Bay.

The Steelers and Pats have performed a mini experiment, with two very comparable teams entering the tournament, both with a first round bye. One rested their starters, and the other did not. We'll see if there's a noticeable and attributable difference between how they each play in their first game in two weeks. 'Looking forward to it; good luck.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"The Bills are in the playoffs"

The above phrase has never been Tweeted, has never been posted on Facebook, has never been spoken in an Uber, has never been heard on satellite radio, has never been blogged, has never been streamed, has never been typed on an iphone, and has never been uttered in the 21st century..... until now.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You could see sadness in the eyes of coach Harbaugh when that one ended.

It wasn't that long ago when the Harbaugh brothers were ruling the NFL.

Now, John Harbaugh's Ravens have missed the playoffs for the third straight year, and brother Jim's Michigan Wolverines finished their season with three straight losses, including blowing a 19-3 lead in their bowl game.

Whatever "magic" the Harbaugh brothers had a few years ago, appears to be gone, not only in the NFL, but also in college football.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Steelers and Pats have performed a mini experiment, with two very comparable teams entering the tournament, both with a first round bye. One rested their starters, and the other did not. We'll see if there's a noticeable and attributable difference between how they each play in their first game in two weeks. 'Looking forward to it; good luck.

The Steelers have never played a postseason game with Big Ben, Antonio Brown, and LeVeon Bell at full health.

So, I can see why Tomlin rested Ben and Bell (Brown is out with a calf injury)...With those 3 players fully healthy, the Steelers feel they can beat anybody.

Jerry Shugart

As things sit (and they're fluid) I have the most likely outcome a Rams/New England Super Bowl, with the Pats losing a tight game, possibly wrapping the dynasty in a reflection of the way it began. That would be interesting.

I think it will be a Vikings/Steelers Super Bowl with the Steelers losing a tight game.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
"The Bills are in the playoffs"

The above phrase has never been Tweeted, has never been posted on Facebook, has never been spoken in an Uber, has never been heard on satellite radio, has never been blogged, has never been streamed, has never been typed on an iphone, and has never been uttered in the 21st century..... until now.
I don't anticipate much from them, but stranger things have happened than that a team like that winds up in the championship game. I would relish the Pats playing the Bills in the AFC championship above all else, so I'm rooting for them, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It wasn't that long ago when the Harbaugh brothers were ruling the NFL.

Now, John Harbaugh's Ravens have missed the playoffs for the third straight year, and brother Jim's Michigan Wolverines finished their season with three straight losses, including blowing a 19-3 lead in their bowl game.

Whatever "magic" the Harbaugh brothers had a few years ago, appears to be gone, not only in the NFL, but also in college football.
I root for Christians, I don't ever want to see them fail, but Brady's a Christian too, so between Christians, I'll take my home team. :)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I think it will be a Vikings/Steelers Super Bowl with the Steelers losing a tight game.
It would be amazing if Minnesota goes to the SB, especially if Philly loses their first game, so that Minnesota hosts all the remaining games.

I'd still root for NE to win if they're in it, but if it's someone else, I would love that story of Minnesota winning the SB at home. It would be a real kick for Minnesota fans, and probably a neat story for the NFL this year too. Ending on more of a good note than this year's otherwise tainted season.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Brady wins again, solidifying his undisputed Title of Greatest Quarterback Of All Times.
He's the greatest something, no doubt. But I can't argue with Town's reasoning that the GOAT has to be Montana, based on his four NFL championship seasons. He was impeccable, and four is enough proof that none of them were flukes. Even if it were only three, that wouldn't be enough to rule out a fluke, but four solidifies his clutch-ness, which is really what we're talking about when we're talking the GOAT. He performed best under pressure.

Of course, I'd still like to see a "balls-and-strikes, passed-balls-vs-wild-pitch" metric to compare apples with apples better, but in the absence of that (with only passer rating), I have to go with Montana too. If Brady wins another ring (maybe this year), even if he plays perfectly in the next SB, he can't undo the blemishes on his record, and Montana, when he got there, never had any.

Not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Brady wins again, solidifying his undisputed Title of Greatest Quarterback Of All Times.
Bill Russell isn't the GOAT either. Brady is tied for 2nd with me and the undisputed, greatest system qb of all time.

He's the greatest something, no doubt.
System qb. He goes down the Pats win 11 with a guy who goes on to...nothing. Peyton goes down for a year his team wins 2 games. :plain: Two.

Even so I have him paired with Manning at the 2 spot on my top 10, because of sustained greatness. Even if Peyton did manage to beat him and his with two different teams and limping at the end.

But I can't argue with Town's reasoning that the GOAT has to be Montana, based on his four NFL championship seasons.
I think that distinguishes him. When you get to the top ten you can make all sorts of arguments, but you can't argue that no one on that list played at his level in the biggest game and every time. It's just...improbable doesn't seem to cover it.

He was impeccable, and four is enough proof that none of them were flukes. Even if it were only three, that wouldn't be enough to rule out a fluke, but four solidifies his clutch-ness, which is really what we're talking about when we're talking the GOAT. He performed best under pressure.
Makes me wish I was a Niner fan. Makes me grit teeth and put him atop the list where my guy is second (okay, tied-ish).

Of course, I'd still like to see a "balls-and-strikes, passed-balls-vs-wild-pitch" metric to compare apples with apples better, but in the absence of that (with only passer rating), I have to go with Montana too. If Brady wins another ring (maybe this year), even if he plays perfectly in the next SB, he can't undo the blemishes on his record, and Montana, when he got there, never had any.
And unlike Montana, he never had to try his luck without his coach and team of choice.

Not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times.
Just ridiculous. And there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have done it again if Young hadn't been behind him. That team and system Young won with lost to Joe and an inferior (if still very good) Chiefs team.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Brady ints by year over the last 10 years:

1017: 8
2016: 2
2015: 7
2014: 9
2013: 11
2012: 8
2011: 12
2010: 4
2009: 13
2007: 8

Or, he's only thrown fewer in a year 3 out of his last ten playing years.

Five games ago he was terrific with 1 int against 4 tds. This week was decent and he put up 2 td to one int. In between he had two bad games and one wash. But then, he was without an essential weapon through some of that and was playing some pretty good defenses on top of it. The sky isn't falling.
I can only hope not. Your analysis is valid all other things being equal, but things are not equal when we're talking about a 40yo passer. :)
Which was extremely unusual for anyone, including Tom. The closest he came to that total was in 2010.
Yes, and it was confidence-inspiring. The six picks in five games streak was the opposite.
He looked just fine against Buffalo. Controlled the field and ended the day with a rating over 100. It's the longest streak he's had for throwing picks, but it's understandable given.
What do you mean by "it's understandable given?" Are you shortening something like, "It's understandable given the circumstances?" or "It's understandable given what I said earlier?" :idunno: I'm trying to understand you better.
He had two in one of those games. That's not a trend. It's an anomaly.
Again, given that he's 40 years old, I'm treating every hint of degradation as a potential serious threat. :)

And the fact is that even though his numbers weren't great against NYJ, he broke the pick streak, and that all by itself is great news for Pats fans.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I can only hope not. Your analysis is valid all other things being equal, but things are not equal when we're talking about a 40yo passer. :)
I'd agree you have to keep a watchful eye, because the wheels will come off and when it happens it can be quick and startling. I have a theory on why I'll note in a moment.

Yes, and it was confidence-inspiring. The six picks in five games streak was the opposite.
You lose Gronk it hurts. Against the right match up it can hurt a lot. But he always had games like this, even in his prime. He just didn't have as many that closely grouped. He appears to have recovered.

What do you mean by "it's understandable given?" Are you shortening something like, "It's understandable given the circumstances?" or "It's understandable given what I said earlier?" :idunno: I'm trying to understand you better.
Sorry, I meant given the surrounding circumstances, like Gronk being out for a bit.

Again, given that he's 40 years old, I'm treating every hint of degradation as a potential serious threat. :)
It'll come, but it doesn't look like it's coming now. The real problem with his age is injury. His arm won't just stop working. Muscle won't just not be there all of the sudden. A lot of the time what happens is a great one is there by virtue of real talent and exceptional work ethic. When the talent degrades there's either room to compensate or there isn't. With Roger Craig, who was a modest talent made great by work ethic (that he helped develop in Rice) once that talent began to erode there wasn't any way for him to compensate and the dive was dramatic and abrupt. Others, like Warren Sap or Charles Barkley, upped their work to compensate for diminishing skills and lengthened their careers.

Brady has done that, which is why he hasn't nose dived. But there's only so much you can do and only so long it can sustain you. He felt the decline in 2012 and 2013 and course corrected with work and approach. That led to a climb back into near prime condition, but this year is a slip back to a couple of years ago. Still great play, but given his work I'd say it's a harbinger of continued decline. Look for next year to look weaker still. I'd say he has one great year beyond this, barring injury, and another really good one. If he's lucky. If he can stay away from the injury bug.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, a topic for discussion. Which is worse, the constant reward for mediocrity and waste of talent the Bengals have been guilty of foisting on fans by holding onto Marvin Lewis or the debacle that is the Cleveland Browns and their staying pat with Hue Jackson?