NFL 2017

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
EXACTLY!

It will be difficult for any team to outscore the Steelers because they have so many great offensive players with play-off experience.
They're among the strongest offenses this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how good Dallas can be with Elliot back though.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Final score 27-24

I don't know how you do it TH.
Clean living and a good calculator. :eek:

And...
...if TB keeps it closer than 6.5 tomorrow I'm back to 11...if not, a decent week anyway.
Thank you TB 11-5 :D Not my best, but I'll take it.

Anyways, Brady, Brees, Flacco, and Roethlisberger all have rings, not to mention Russell Wilson. Usually the experience helps in the playoffs.
Which has a way of reflecting consistency and excellence. Russell's team just doesn't look strong enough against the top two contenders absent one of those games.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb, and predict some new blood in this years Super Bowl. Jacksonville vs. LA Rams
I like the Rams chances as much as anyone contending in the NFC. They're in the discussion with New Orleans. It's hard to imagine Foles taking Philly to it, though that's a solid team. I can't see Jacksonville making it to the Championship game.

P.S. if Dallas somehow gets in, I don't think anyone in the NFC can stop them now that Wentz is out, and Zeke is back. That "gift" from Oakland last night, just might have put them in the playoffs.
I'd like the Rams or Saints against them, especially the Rams. A Philly matchup would be interesting.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Pro Bowl selections were announced today.

The Steelers led the league with 8 players named to the Pro-Bowl.

However, 7 of the players were offensive players.....the lone defensive player was Ryan Shazier, and he is out for the rest of the season.

So, the Steelers will enter the post-season with 7 offensive Pro-Bowl selections, and 0 defensive Pro-Bowl selections.....that's not a good combo for the playoffs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Pro Bowl selections were announced today.

The Steelers led the league with 8 players named to the Pro-Bowl.

However, 7 of the players were offensive players.....the lone defensive player was Ryan Shazier, and he is out for the rest of the season.

So, the Steelers will enter the post-season with 7 offensive Pro-Bowl selections, and 0 defensive Pro-Bowl selections.....that's not a good combo for the playoffs.
But as a sum of parts you're doing pretty well...except against the run. You're a top ten defense in terms of points allowed and you're 4th in giving up passing yardage, which is an excellent playoff predictor. So I wouldn't put on the sackcloth just yet.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Been looking over the power rankings of a dozen reputable sites. I'm going to put their average answer 1-32 and then my own rankings to the right.

Power Rankings for Week 16

Avg. ____Mine

1. NE____Ram
2. Pit____NE
3. Phi____NO
4. Ram___Pit
5. Min____Jac
6. NO____Phi
7. Jac____Bal
8. Car____Min
9. Atl_____Atl
10. KC___Car
11. Bal___SD
12. Dal___KC
13. Sea___Sea
14. Det____Dal
15. SD____Mia
16. Buf____Was
17. Ten___Det
18. GB____Buf
19. Mia___Ten
20. Was___GB
21. Oak___Jet
22. Arz___Den
23. Den___Oak
24. Chi___Arz
25. TB___Chi
26. Jet___SF
27. Cin___TB
28. SF___Cin
29. Hou___Hou
30. Ind___Gia
31. Gia___Ind
32. Cle___Cle

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looking over the potential playoff teams for the fun of it (because calling the games the last two weeks is a dart throw and only a fool would actually bet in this window, as some teams tank and others play against orthodoxy).

The AFC

1. New England: a productive offense and a defense that has been surprisingly good at keeping folks out of the end zone, when you consider they're really bad at stopping other teams from moving the ball. The Pats are 29th at allowing yds through the air and 26th against the run. BUT, they're the 6th stingiest team when you get in the red zone. That's a dangerous way to live, defensively. Offensively, they're the best yd per game passing team in the league, edging out Pittsburgh (but not by much) and the 16th best at running it, with a respectable 110 per game average. And when it comes to scoring they're essentially tied with New Orleans and a fg removed from the leading Rams (who would be tied with Philly for the top honor but Philly is no longer Philly on that score).

Prognosis: Brady and Co. are the prohibitive AFC favorite, but they're vulnerable.

2. Pittsburgh: balance that can frequently lead to a place at the SB table. They're about a point and a half dog to NE in terms of points scored. They lean more heavily on the pass than they have to, in part because their star RB also has soft hands. But they're capable of running between the tackles and finding tough yardage. Defensively, they're right there with the Pats on holding down red zone production, but they're also 5th against the pass and 8th against the run in terms of yardage allowed, so it's harder to get to that red zone when you play Pittsburg.

Prognosis: it depends on whether or not they can get out of their own heads. They should be capable of winning against NE, but giving up the home field might be the difference here if it comes to that.

3. Jacksonville: the 5th best scoring offense with an unusual lean to the running game (1st) instead of the passing (19th) though they've proven they can move the ball effectively either way. Defensively they're the stingiest in the NFL, best against the pass, if on par with their offensive passing production when it comes to stopping the run (19th). So they have two vulnerabilities, defending the run and passing the ball.

Prognosis: qb play and run defense are question marks in terms of balance that could cost them, but it's time to give the Jaguars a seat at the serious consideration table.

4. Kansas City: after a disastrous stretch the Chiefs appear to have found their legs again just in time for a playoff run. But how far? Offensively they're 6th in scoring, 10th rushing and 7th passing. The traditional strength of the team, defense, is less reliable. They're 14th in pts allowed, 27th in yds allowed rushing and 26th yds allowed passing. A more drastic version of NE then, with the same worries attached.

Prognosis: the Pats have the same weaknesses and strengths, but greater reliability on the offensive side of the ball. Unlike the Steelers, they may be in New England's head instead of their own, so Pats fans have to hope the Steelers take care of them, if need be, before they reach Foxboro.

Beyond this point I don't care, unless the surging Ravens can fight their way in, in which case they become an old Giants like worry for everyone.

NFC

1. Philadelphia: but not really. This is a solid team that could reach the mountain top with consistent play from Noles, but it's unlikely. So I'll step over the statistics and make this note and prognosis: they'll acquit themselves well, but it will take a miracle for them to win a ring without Carson.

2. Minnesota: 10th best scoring offense. 9th in both passing and rushing, meaning they're better at moving the ball than getting into the end zone. Defensively, they're solid. 2nd only to Jacksonville in pts allowed, 2nd in allowing rushing yds and 3rd against the pass. A monster defense that could take a poor offense deep in the playoffs, and this isn't a poor offense.

Prognosis: with Philly reduced they have a clear shot at the whole thing. But they've been one thing on the road and another at home and the strength of the disparity is troubling. At their best, I think they could take Tom and Co. to the woodshed. And they might just get the chance given their home field. Who can challenge?

3. New Orleans: my dark horse for a while. It's hard for me to take even a team like the Vikings over a team with Brees and any sort of defensive help. The Saints have the 3rd best scoring offense, 5th rushing the ball and 4th passing. Their defense is tied for 9th on pts, 18th against the run, and 7th against the pass.

Prognosis: the run defense is worrisome, but not overly given most of the competition will be pass heavy and this is the best defense/offensive balance Brees has had to work with in his career, including the one he earned a ring with. It's not hard for me to see them in another SB.

4. Rams: the scary thing is how good this team is and how deep the threats in the NFC are...5th in pts scored, 7th in rushing yds, 12th passing. On defense they're 5th best in the red zone, 24th against rushing attacks and a stingy 6th against the pass.

Prognosis: that weakness against the run is troubling, but this is a dangerous team, capable of beating most.

The rest...Carolina and Atlanta are both capable contenders and a hot handed Dallas, if they make it in, could be trouble, but the cream is 1 - 4 and the likely representative will be found there.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Too much going on this week to call things early. I'll get in the last week for the fun of it early. Haven't had a crash week yet, so fingers crossed on this one. :)

So far this week the Ravens won but by less than the two td margin no one should have expected and Minnesota beat the back up, so that was a 2-0 gimme to start the week.

3. NO is a 5.5 fav over Atlanta. I went Saints to make their division statement.
Thank you, New Orleans. Best looking team Brees has ever had. Who knows what that might mean before it's all over.
3-0 :D

4. NE @ Buf: the Pats are a 12.5. Buffalo plays better at home and they're close so far, but I took a flyer on the Pats, so here's hoping for an unanswered burst at some point.
And burst they did. 4-0 :D

5. Cle @ Chi (6.5): why would anyone take the Browns, who would just as soon lose this and try again for a qb in the draft?
Who indeed? 5-0 :D

6. Det (4.5) @ Cin: who has faith in the Bengals outside of their home town? And who in it?
And Detroit continues to make the argument that the statute of limitations on taking them seriously has run. Wow...didn't see this one coming 5-1 :mmph:

7. Den @ Was (3.5): Washington, because Denver doesn't travel.
And they didn't. 6-1 :D

8. Ram (6.5) @ Ten: better at home and playing close early too, but I like the Rams to cover before its done.
Disappointing margin. The Titans did everything they could being outmatched. Fun game. 6-2 :mmph:

9. Mia @ KC (10.5): that's a lot of points against a stout defense. I have it a 17 - 20 contest, so I'm with Miami though it looks like there are going to be more tds than I thought.
When the score broke open I was worried. Ah well. 6-3 :mmph:

10. SD (6.5) @ Jets: SD in a snap back game.
And the world rights. 7-3 :D

11. TB @ Car (9.5): the Panthers should dominate. I called it 18 - 28
Can't believe in a game this important the Panthers showed up this small...a late win that restores some faith, but not the margin I needed. 7-4 :mmph:

Heading into the afternoon games. I need three of five for double digits this week. It's up for grabs.

12. Jac (4.5) @ SF: respect for the late play of SF or evidence of a lack of belief in Jac? I'll take the Jags to cover.
SF is back? Have to admit I can live with games like this being my outlier. 7-5 :mmph:

13. Sea @ Dal (4.5): I like this one as a nail biter and I'm not going to run from Seattle on pts.
Thanks Dallas, for giving me no worse than a split for week 16. 8-5 :D

14. Gai @ Arz (4.5): :idunno: let's say Arizona 22 - 17.
And thank you Arizona for giving me no worse than a winning week 16. 9-5 :D

Monday Games: I need one of these to go my way for another 10 or better win season. I'd rather have both. :)

15. Pit (9.5) @ Hou: I'm not willing to go that big. Probably my mistake, but I have it at 8, like...30 - 22. Which Houston do we get this week? Which Steelers for that matter.

16. Oak @ Phi (8.5): man, they lose their qb and are still picked a two score fav over Oakland. I haven't gone against Philly under two digits and I'm not ready to now. Eagles.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Brady and Co. are the prohibitive AFC favorite, but they're vulnerable.
I haven't called them prohibitive favorites all year, and especially not since Brady started chucking picks like they're going out of style. Their D is as good as any in points allowed (points being, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters anyway), and if Gronk is playing, then they are favored, but not by much, over anybody. 'Doesn't mean they won't run the table, but it's far from a given, even starting with the Jets next week (1st seed remains up for grabs, IOW).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I haven't called them prohibitive favorites all year, and especially not since Brady started chucking picks like they're going out of style. Their D is as good as any in points allowed (points being, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters anyway), and if Gronk is playing, then they are favored, but not by much, over anybody. 'Doesn't mean they won't run the table, but it's far from a given, even starting with the Jets next week (1st seed remains up for grabs, IOW).
New England is 3 pts off the top scoring offense in the league, the Rams, with NO beating them by less than a point, and Philly ahead on an average that no longer signifies. They're 6th in pts allowed. Only Jacksonville and Baltimore compare on the AFC side.

And Brady has thrown all of 8 picks, which is below his career average, though not as impressive as last years 2 ints. He's having one of his better years all around. They're the prohibitive. Steelers are in a physical position to challenge, but I wonder about them mentally, especially on the road. Jacksonville is a puzzle. They didn't help instill confidence today...except in the Niners.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well.....so much for the Cowboys.

They had Elliot and Lee back, and still lost at home to a team that only had a total of 136 yards from their offense.

As I'm sure most of you already know, the Seahawks had 142 yards in penalties. Which made them the first team since 1966 to win a game with more penalty yards than yards from offense.

beloved57

If My Boys can beat the Panthers next week at home they're in !

Im not one to cry about the refs but we got jobbed yesterday, nevertheless the Saints won fair and square !

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If My Boys can beat the Panthers next week at home they're in !
Should make for a great game. Newton is still an uneven player. If he brings that into the mix you have a good chance with a team that still has that Super Bowl talent, but needs a better scheme offensively (new offensive coordinator) and some swagger, which may mean a new coach, or a surprise playoff run...you never know.

Im not one to cry about the refs but we got jobbed yesterday, nevertheless the Saints won fair and square !
Nothing wrong with getting beaten by that bunch. They have a legitimate shot at winning it all again, though the Vikings are better than I've wanted to think they are...I think.

I don't think it's the Steeler's players, I think it's the Steeler's coaches (especially Tomlin) who have the mental problems against New England.
I can't figure out what it is, but I don't get that sense of identity that I once did with them and I think that's the coach's issue to be sure.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Brady started chucking picks like they're going out of style.
Brady has thrown all of 8 picks, which is below his career average, though not as impressive as last years 2 ints. He's having one of his better years all around.
'Most picks he's ever thrown in a season is 14, a few different times. The past five games, he's thrown six picks, and that's a 19-20 INT pace for a full season. That's terrible for Brady, that's average for average quarterbacks, not him. He threw two, the first ten games, which was comparable to last season. This recent performance is worrisome when games are decided (which they are likely to in the tournament) by one score. One interception can mean the difference in a game, and two in one game, that's decided by one score, is deadly. (2015 season's AFC championship game at Denver being a recent case in point.)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
First off, congrats to the Steelers for doing better than I expected and thank you to the Eagles for pushing me back into a double digit week with a 10-6 final against the line. :thumb:

'Most picks he's ever thrown in a season is 14, a few different times. The past five games, he's thrown six picks, and that's a 19-20 INT pace for a full season.
Brady ints by year over the last 10 years:

1017: 8
2016: 2
2015: 7
2014: 9
2013: 11
2012: 8
2011: 12
2010: 4
2009: 13
2007: 8

Or, he's only thrown fewer in a year 3 out of his last ten playing years.

That's terrible for Brady, that's average for average quarterbacks, not him.
Five games ago he was terrific with 1 int against 4 tds. This week was decent and he put up 2 td to one int. In between he had two bad games and one wash. But then, he was without an essential weapon through some of that and was playing some pretty good defenses on top of it. The sky isn't falling.

He threw two, the first ten games, which was comparable to last season.
Which was extremely unusual for anyone, including Tom. The closest he came to that total was in 2010.

This recent performance is worrisome
He looked just fine against Buffalo. Controlled the field and ended the day with a rating over 100. It's the longest streak he's had for throwing picks, but it's understandable given.

when games are decided (which they are likely to in the tournament) by one score. One interception can mean the difference in a game, and two in one game, that's decided by one score, is deadly. (2015 season's AFC championship game at Denver being a recent case in point.
He had two in one of those games. That's not a trend. It's an anomaly.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Chicago Bears (5-10) are 4-0 against the AFC North (Pitt, Balt, Cinn & Clev), but just 1-10 against the rest of the NFL.

That doesn't make any sense (except for their win against Cleveland)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So, New England hosts the NY Jets, and Pittsburgh hosts the winless Browns this final week.

Both teams have secured a first round bye. However, New England needs to win to keep their #1 seed, so they probably won't rest their starters.

Same thing for Pittsburgh, they need to win in case New England loses.

BUT....if New England is up big on the Jets at the half, should the Steelers pull their starters?