NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quetzal

But just about everyone has one of those losses and Atlanta has been on a roll since. The defense let them down and the offense was still finding a groove.

TB 31
Atl 24

Atl 35
Oak 28

Atl 45
NO 32

Car 48
Atl 33

Atl 23
Den 16

Sure, Denver's offense is a work in progress and that's their lowest offensive total of the year (by one), but it's Denver, at altitude. A Bronco's team that beat TB by 20 and hadn't given up more than twenty until Atlanta rolled in to town.

Don't get me wrong, the Falcons have to tighten that defense or they're going to wear down by the time the playoffs are due. You can't keep playing pinball without it catching up to you. Ask New England. But for now they're playing the sort of offense that's tough to stop and they just moved the ball effectively on arguably the best defense in the league.
Let's be fair, that was the game their QB1 was hurt. I will be curious to see them match up again and see what happens.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Let's be fair, that was the game their QB1 was hurt. I will be curious to see them match up again and see what happens.
To be fairer, their #1qb doesn't play defense. :eek: But I take your meaning. I suspect Simien could have kept them off the field and limited the chances of that Falcon's offense. And Siemian had 1 td to 2 picks against Carolina in a squeaker of a 21-20 win.

How'd Atlanta fare? 48-33

Against the not exactly inspired Colts defense Siemian put up 0 tds and 1 int before having a staggeringly good game against the Bengals that skews his overall into looking better than it was (along with one short but effective bit in the next game before being injured).

Quetzal

To be fairer, their #1qb doesn't play defense. :eek: But I take your meaning. I suspect Simien could have kept them off the field and limited the chances of that Falcon's offense. And Siemian had 1 td to 2 picks against Carolina in a squeaker of a 21-20 win.

How'd Atlanta fare? 48-33

Against the not exactly inspired Colts defense Siemian put up 0 tds and 1 int before having a staggeringly good game against the Bengals that skews his overall into looking better than it was (along with one short but effective bit in the next game before being injured).
That's fair. I do think we agree that if Atlanta tightens up on defense and keeps up that offensive rhythm, they are going to cause a lot of trouble.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's fair. I do think we agree that if Atlanta tightens up on defense and keeps up that offensive rhythm, they are going to cause a lot of trouble.
That's my thinking. I'm not saying Atlanta is ready for the SB. I'm saying no one is and they have a puncher's chance against just about anyone right now, with some room for improvement defensively and reason to think they'll make it. Can it be enough against the NFC competition? We'll see.

Quetzal

That's my thinking. I'm not saying Atlanta is ready for the SB. I'm saying no one is and they have a puncher's chance against just about anyone right now, with some room for improvement defensively and reason to think they'll make it. Can it be enough against the NFC competition? We'll see.
I think the only team that can come close to being SB tier is New England. They are looking fantastic on most fronts.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think the only team that can come close to being SB tier is New England. They are looking fantastic on most fronts.
I have them right on the cusp, as a fg favorite over Denver on a neutral field, right now. But only NE has the proven team in place. The Vikings...can they stay healthy? Arizona--which team? Buffalo and Pittsburgh? Capable, but inconsistent. Cin? Big stage questions.

More questions than answers. Now if Siemian comes back and looks like he did in his last five quarters, the Pats are the dog between the two. If, if, if...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, I didn't have a clear read on this one so it's not a surprise in result...that said, if you told me that the Broncos would have held Rivers under 200 yds passing and under a hundred rushing, while Siemian put up over 200 yds and no picks, I'd have said, "So Denver won by ten to fourteen pts?"

So this game didn't really change much, just the luck of field position and better play from the seasoned veteran, moving the ball at over six a clip to Siemian's four and change. Most days the Chargers will lose like this and Denver fans have reason to be encouraged, even in the loss. Your qb knew he was tender and played safe. He's going to get better in the next few and the machinery is running well enough. It's just one of those games.

:cheers:

Quetzal

Well, I didn't have a clear read on this one so it's not a surprise in result...that said, if you told me that the Broncos would have held Rivers under 200 yds passing and under a hundred rushing, while Siemian put up over 200 yds and no picks, I'd have said, "So Denver won by ten to fourteen pts?"
So this is interesting. I had to go to bed at half time and when I hit the sack, Rivers had over 100 passing yards and a TD (I think). Yet, he didn't get over 200 which tells me the Denver defense did their job. Yet Siemian eclipsed and couldn't get it done? There is more to the story. Then I saw the highlights with two fumble loses by his receivers including one from the veteran Thomas. That'll do it.

So this game didn't really change much, just the luck of field position and better play from the seasoned veteran, moving the ball at over six a clip to Siemian's four and change. Most days the Chargers will lose like this and Denver fans have reason to be encouraged, even in the loss. Your qb knew he was tender and played safe. He's going to get better in the next few and the machinery is running well enough. It's just one of those games.

:cheers:
The Denver offensive line needs to show some discipline. Two holding calls cost them BIG. One for the safety with their backs against the wall. Then another when Anderson ran for the TD late. That is a 9 point swing that would have made the game much closer. Siemian looked good moving the ball late and he has a few extra days to rest up before he has to deal JJ and the boys.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So this is interesting. I had to go to bed at half time and when I hit the sack, Rivers had over 100 passing yards and a TD (I think). Yet, he didn't get over 200 which tells me the Denver defense did their job. Yet Siemian eclipsed and couldn't get it done? There is more to the story. Then I saw the highlights with two fumble loses by his receivers including one from the veteran Thomas. That'll do it.
Siemian had a decent outing. Rivers had a better one. Mostly this one turned on turnovers and field position for the kickers.

The Denver offensive line needs to show some discipline. Two holding calls cost them BIG. One for the safety with their backs against the wall. Then another when Anderson ran for the TD late. That is a 9 point swing that would have made the game much closer. Siemian looked good moving the ball late and he has a few extra days to rest up before he has to deal JJ and the boys.
Yeah, I didn't see anything that should have Denver upset. SD won a close contest, but likely wouldn't nine out of ten based on the play. Just one of those breaks that goes your way and there it is.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
@ TH and Q

Be careful with Steelers at Miami.

Since 2010, the Steelers are 5-10 against sub-.500 teams on the road.

That 5-10 record is straight up, when you factor in the point spread, it's even worse.

However, the Steelers are 3-0 at Miami this century (post-Marino)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
@ TH and Q

Be careful with Steelers at Miami.

Since 2010, the Steelers are 5-10 against sub-.500 teams on the road.

That 5-10 record is straight up, when you factor in the point spread, it's even worse.

However, the Steelers are 3-0 at Miami this century (post-Marino)
Crud. Didn't post my picks here. Well, I'll talk about them after the fact.

Interesting games: Atlanta against that Seattle defense, the Cowboys new look vs the Pack. I like the visiting teams in both, but they should be fun to watch regardless.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Make it 5-11
Did I say thanks for that nudge?

So far. I called the Bills and the Jags, putting me a 2-1.

The Bengals let me down by not keeping it closer than 10. 2-2

Cleveland did manage to keep it close enough. 3-2

Detroit scared me but the half point finally saved me, 4-2

Thanks for the nudge that had me running from that big line on the Steelers, 5-2

The Saints and Giants did just enough, thankfully. 7-2 :D

My upset special at Washington was a lucky guess, literally. 8-2 and a really good week shaping up.

The Chiefs are doing me proud. Should be 9-3 by the whistle.

Atlanta looks like it's going to send me to 9-4 unless they find a way to roar back when they get the ball to start the second half.

Dallas is getting it done. If they hold on I'm likely 10-4.

Then I just need Indy and Arz to get it done and my best week so far will be in the books.

So, I'm 8-2 and holding. :D

Quetzal

Cleveland did manage to keep it close enough. 3-2
I am super snake bit with the Browns and with good reason. :D

Detroit scared me but the half point finally saved me, 4-2
I was surprised by the output of the Rams but Stafford kept it together when it mattered.

Thanks for the nudge that had me running from that big line on the Steelers, 5-2
I didn't see this game but I saw Big Ben got hurt. Was his injury the reason for the downfall to Miami? Or were the wheels already wobbling?

The Saints and Giants did just enough, thankfully. 7-2 :D
Eli had a very good outing. The interceptions hurt but putting up 400 yards and 3TDs is a nice day.

Dallas is getting it done. If they hold on I'm likely 10-4.
Played out nicely for you. I remember seeing the results this morning and being surprised, but am I really? We have talked a lot of Rodgers and his struggles, and so they continue!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am super snake bit with the Browns and with good reason. :D

I was surprised by the output of the Rams but Stafford kept it together when it mattered.

I didn't see this game but I saw Big Ben got hurt. Was his injury the reason for the downfall to Miami? Or were the wheels already wobbling?
Didn't see much of anything, but I kept track. I just went with Tet after his last good call on his boys. :eek: My total this week is about 80% analysis and 20% blind luck.

Eli had a very good outing. The interceptions hurt but putting up 400 yards and 3TDs is a nice day.
With me it was more about being burned by Baltimore the last two weeks. Not again. :)

Played out nicely for you. I remember seeing the results this morning and being surprised, but am I really? We have talked a lot of Rodgers and his struggles, and so they continue!
Dallas looks like the future is now and I think Romo has problems getting back on the field.

Atlanta turned it around and my Colts held Houston to 3 and another win to send me to 12-2 going into tonight...I needed it after the last two weeks. I'm back in the 99%. :D

Come on Arizona! :think: Now I'm feeling greedy.

Quetzal

Come on Arizona! :think: Now I'm feeling greedy.
Worked out for you! In other news, Fitzy looked dreadful. 16/31, didn't eclipse 200 yards and an interception to go with it. He will be looking for a rock to hide under until next week when Joe Flacco takes a turn at the Jets defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.