NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well here we go folks!!

What will be the stories of 2016 in the NFL??

Will Peyton ride off into the sunset?
Will Johnny "Football" make it out of suicide watch?
Can the Broncos defense propel them to a repeat championship?
Will Carolina bounce-back?
How about the Patriots, do they have anything left in the tank?
Who will be this years surprise teams and emerging stars?
And who will be this years biggest flops?

One thing we know for sure is... the Denver Broncos are world's champs. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well here we go folks!!

What will be the stories of 2016 in the NFL??

Will Peyton ride off into the sunset?
I hope so, though I can see him wanting to go out healthy and demonstrating that his worst year wasn't a sudden collapse from the great on previously, but an illustration of the impact of injury and a new and more limiting system.

Will Johnny "Football" make it out of suicide watch?
There's nothing better than a redemption storyline. Maybe he'll find it.

Can the Broncos defense propel them to a repeat championship?
Possible, but they have a number of contracts expiring that may change the nature of the team. Carolina did it. It's possible. They need pieces on that O line and they'll have a year to figure out and develop a young qb with talent who won't be called up on to do everything.

Will Carolina bounce-back?
No reason for them not to actually get better, though I think they were still two years of effort out and hit a streak that wasn't ultimately a favor to them.

How about the Patriots, do they have anything left in the tank?
Absolutely. They need to get healthy and find a few pieces. They were pretty effective outside of Denver.

Who will be this years surprise teams and emerging stars?
:think: It will be interesting to see what the Giants do. The Bengals are another team that has to be clenching teeth over how close they were. Speaking of, it will be interesting to see if AJ gets a new home and how that goes. And will my Colts rebound from a miserable year and Luck reclaim some of the dimmed luster?

And who will be this years biggest flops?
The Browns. :eek:

One thing we know for sure is... the Denver Broncos are world's champs. :)
And well deserved. :cheers:

The Berean

I wanted to address this. TH made this comment referring to George Seifert.

Hmm. Well, it's a bit Switzer like, but I suppose I'll give him the technically true, but practically riding another man's horse in the first one.

I think you are underestimating Seifert here TH. The 1988-89 49ers who beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl were not really a powerhouse team. Through 11 games they were just 6-5 and in third place. Most people thought the 49ers were not going to make the playoffs. The team turned it around and finished with a 10-6 record. They only had a +75 point differential. The Rams also finished 10-6 but with a +114 point differential. The Vikings led the NFC with a +175 point differential. The 49ers got hot at the right time. But they barely beat the Bengals and if Lewis Billups had not dropped a sure Joe Montana interception in the end zone the 49ers would have lost the game.

After George Seifert took over as head coach the next season the team played much better. The 49ers led the NFL with +189 point differential. The next best team was at +136. The 49ers were 14-2 and the two losses were by scores of 13-12 and 21-17. They won their three playoff games by scores of 41-13, 30-3, and 55-10. IMO Seifert should get full credit for leading such a dominating powerhouse team.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think you are underestimating Seifert here TH.
I'm simply noting that he was handed a team Walsh inarguably could have guided to a SB or two. He held serve. Switzer did that. But then he did more by winning again. That elevates him, but it's not the same as building a team and winning multiple SBs with different qbs, like Gibbs and to a lesser extent, the Tuna.

The 1988-89 49ers who beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl were not really a powerhouse team. Through 11 games they were just 6-5 and in third place. Most people thought the 49ers were not going to make the playoffs. The team turned it around and finished with a 10-6 record.
It's not that unusual for even great teams to hit a lull and rebound. The roster was great, with a couple of budding stars to boot, like Taylor.

After George Seifert took over as head coach the next season the team played much better.
Or, the team continued with the improvement it had shown after that lull. And the difference was within seven points, with around four points improvement on offense and a couple of three on the defensive side of the ball. Taylor, who was good enough to be a one on most teams, became the two after Rice and there's a good bit of your offensive surge. And there's something to be said for the confidence that comes from winning a SB after losing your way for a couple of three years, missing within sight of the goal, as they had to the Giants twice and I forget who the other time.

IMO Seifert should get full credit for leading such a dominating powerhouse team.
He got a ring out of it. That's not hay. But I suspect a number of coaches with that table setting would have managed it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good. No need to start an offseason thread. Combine is coming up 23-29 of this month. NFL.com is reporting Cal gunslinger Jared Goff will participate in passing drills.

How can Hue Jackson trade Manziel? Jerry Jones was born senile. So that is possible. I don't think Al Davis is coming back from the dead.

Here are the top 50 prospects for the draft. That means they go in the first 2 rounds.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wonder who the Broncos will look at for QB in the draft. Brock Osweiler doesn't seem like a franchise guy, but maybe he will be. I think they take one, there are actually several available. There just isn't an Andrew Luck or John Elway this time.

The Berean

I'm simply noting that he was handed a team Walsh inarguably could have guided to a SB or two. He held serve. Switzer did that. But then he did more by winning again. That elevates him, but it's not the same as building a team and winning multiple SBs with different qbs, like Gibbs and to a lesser extent, the Tuna.
Ok, but Seifert had a major hand in the team that was "handed" to him. Unlike Barry Switzer who was hired from the outside Seifert had been a 49ers coach since 1980. From 1983-88 he was the 49ers defensive coordinator. Seifert had a major role in EVERY 49ers Super Bowl winning team. Seifert built those great 49er defensive teams.

On a side note, had the 49ers played the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl, instead of the NY Giants, I wonder how Steve Young would have fared? :think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder who the Broncos will look at for QB in the draft. Brock Osweiler doesn't seem like a franchise guy, but maybe he will be. I think they take one, there are actually several available. There just isn't an Andrew Luck or John Elway this time.
But maybe there's a Tom Brady to be had. :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm guessing and kinda hoping that we stick with Brock. While Peyton certainly gave the team a boost (in spirit) I think Brock actually ran the offense a bit better this year.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ok, but Seifert had a major hand in the team that was "handed" to him. Unlike Barry Switzer who was hired from the outside Seifert had been a 49ers coach since 1980. From 1983-88 he was the 49ers defensive coordinator. Seifert had a major role in EVERY 49ers Super Bowl winning team. Seifert built those great 49er defensive teams.
A qualified helped, because Walsh didn't cede authority that fully in anyone, but in principle, fair enough.

On a side note, had the 49ers played the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl, instead of the NY Giants, I wonder how Steve Young would have fared? :think:
That would have been a very, very entertaining SB. Not sure who would have won it. The problem the Giants gave was similar to the one the later Giants gave Brady's crew. Anderson's year and that defense were made to slow down and keep off the field what was arguably the best offense in the NFL at the time.

The Berean

That would have been a very, very entertaining SB. Not sure who would have won it. The problem the Giants gave was similar to the one the later Giants gave Brady's crew. Anderson's year and that defense were made to slow down and keep off the field what was arguably the best offense in the NFL at the time.

Lets not forget that in 1989 Steve Young was not yet STEVE YOUNG, Hall of Fame QB. He did start three games in 1989 but at the point he was viewed as a talented QB who hadn't done much in the NFL yet. Had Young been forced to start the Super Bowl much would have written about how could such a mediocre QB possibly beat Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills? And this Super Bowl was just a week after the NFC title game. I suspect the 49ers would have focused on the running the ball a lot.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Lets not forget that in 1989 Steve Young was not yet STEVE YOUNG, Hall of Fame QB. He did start three games in 1989 but at the point he was viewed as a talented QB who hadn't done much in the NFL yet. Had Young been forced to start the Super Bowl much would have written about how could such a mediocre QB possibly beat Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills? And this Super Bowl was just a week after the NFC title game. I suspect the 49ers would have focused on the running the ball a lot.
Then they would have lost, because Craig, while a fine all purpose back, wasn't Anderson in that year, grinding out yards. The 49ers weren't going to win with that mindset. They'd have to use Young. Buffalo was light in the pants, but awfully quick on the D line. They could run into trouble against grinders, but handle the rest and plague qbs trying to find time for passing lanes to open.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A sea of orange....

It looked like that after the 1996 Stanley Cup Finals.

I'm guessing and kinda hoping that we stick with Brock. While Peyton certainly gave the team a boost (in spirit) I think Brock actually ran the offense a bit better this year.

He performed better than Manning. Manning dropped so far so fast that he should stay home and drink those Buds he was talking about.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A sea of orange....

Remember those commercials that showed an increase in babies being born 9 months later in the cities that won Super Bowls?

I wonder what happens 9 months from now in the first city (Denver) to win a Super Bowl where pot is legal :think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Will we go a day on ESPN or Fox Sports with out Johnny Manziel? This one is actually the CBS feed on the phone. One of the two quarterbacks that transferred out says he left because of the Manziel culture that taking place now.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It looked like that after the 1996 Stanley Cup Finals.
Well not really. I was at that parade. And trust me... nobody was wearing orange. :)

He performed better than Manning. Manning dropped so far so fast that he should stay home and drink those Buds he was talking about.
Manning provided just what the team needed, when it needed it. Lets not forget that with Brock the team also struggled to score points and it only got worse as the season ended. Brock was struggling to beat a very poor San Diego team and Peyton came in and gave the team a much needed confidence boost.

Brock is good but he still wasn't the right guy (just yet).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well not really. I was at that parade. And trust me... nobody was wearing orange. :)

I mean it was packed. Point taken about the orange.

Manning provided just what the team needed, when it needed it. Lets not forget that with Brock the team also struggled to score points and it only got worse as the season ended. Brock was struggling to beat a very poor San Diego team and Peyton came in and gave the team a much needed confidence boost.

Brock is good but he still wasn't the right guy (just yet).

And not having a John Elway or Andrew Luck in the draft doesn't mean the draft isn't deep. It is actually quite deep this year. Having a seasoned veteran to help develop would be useful. Kubiak himself could do it, but a head coach in the NFL doesn't really have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.