NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloved57

Thanks. I tried to balance credit and history. Plus, Denver has been even scarier on defense and I always lean toward that and home field, but hey, I said it was possible. I just didn't see it happening in Denver. Amazing game. If that doesn't fill them with confidence and a sense of destiny, a sea change in culture and expectation, nothing will. Great game Atlanta! Everyone is taking you seriously now. :cheers:

Yes, the Offense is playing up to its potential, and the defense can and will feed off that !

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, the Offense is playing up to its potential, and the defense can and will feed off that !
They still need to improve to make the playoff chances meaningful, but there's time and they aren't without talent...maybe be more aggressive. If you can't muscle, steal, a-la the Super Bowl Saints.

beloved57

They still need to improve to make the playoff chances meaningful, but there's time and they aren't without talent...maybe be more aggressive. If you can't muscle, steal, a-la the Super Bowl Saints.

They should improve defensively, I believe three or four starters will be returning, some even next game !

Quetzal

Well, the Packers inability to play two full halves cost me a half point victory late. Man, I hate both of these teams. :chuckle:
Help me out, what is going on with Rodgers and Co.? You would think they would have a bit more efficiency on offense but they are making it look a lot harder than it really is. You certainly can't blame the offensive line because they gave Rodgers all the time he could ever ask for, and more!

Other notes: Vikings are looking fantastic and continue to surprise me. I am pretty sure I am on record for week 1 saying they would be awful... oopsie. Bears still suck, no shocker there. Rumor has it the Browns are scouting local high schools in search of a new QB. The Broncos really miss Peyton. Eli continues to struggle, giving me endless joy. The Chargers come up short in (another) shoot out.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Help me out, what is going on with Rodgers and Co.? You would think they would have a bit more efficiency on offense but they are making it look a lot harder than it really is. You certainly can't blame the offensive line because they gave Rodgers all the time he could ever ask for, and more!
It's coaching/scheming, mostly. Rodgers' talent overcame that for a while, but eventually you get a book on anyone and any team that isn't constantly evolving. The Packers are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. The coaches don't adjust well or often. You saw that in the second half. They were out coached. That deficiency has caught up with them and either they'll do better, work harder, or it's going to be that way until we find ourselves talking about how hard it is to believe they only won one ring with that qb, the way Braves fans shake their heads when the topic turns to the days of Glavine, Maddux, and Smoltz.

Other notes: Vikings are looking fantastic and continue to surprise me. I am pretty sure I am on record for week 1 saying they would be awful... oopsie.
They were too good overall to suck, but there was no way to know they'd end up with a high end caliber qb to pull the thing together. Very good team. And if Peterson can get back in and healthy, which he always does...dangerous.

Bears still suck, no shocker there.
They're a player or twenty two away.

Rumor has it the Browns are scouting local high schools in search of a new QB.
Yeah, but they're limiting try outs to running backs. :plain:

The Broncos really miss Peyton.
A lot of people, including talking heads, were exceptionally dense last year, with the whole winning in spite of and he was along for the ride nonsense. The old, wounded, half dead lion was the reason they were in a position to win that ring. He willed them into home field and his play against Brady and company was the difference in the championship game that put them in a position to embarrass the new kid and company. That was his last hurrah.

That said, all is far from lost in Denver. The new kid will be good, but he's not really ready to be more than spotty. That defense, with any sort of help, can repeat. But it won't be easy. If the Broncos had any sense they'd lure Peyton back to the team as a coach and put him on that sideline and in those practices. I really think he could impact them there.

Eli continues to struggle, giving me endless joy.
You're going to pull whole patches of hair when he makes Canton, aren't you. :eek:

The Chargers come up short in (another) shoot out.
Like the Titans, they can win when you don't expect it and give it up when you're sure they're on top of things.

truthjourney

Thanks. I tried to balance credit and history. Plus, Denver has been even scarier on defense and I always lean toward that and home field, but hey, I said it was possible. I just didn't see it happening in Denver. Amazing game. If that doesn't fill them with confidence and a sense of destiny, a sea change in culture and expectation, nothing will. Great game Atlanta! Everyone is taking you seriously now. :cheers:
Yeah that was a great game. :)
:cheers:

Quetzal

Looking to tonight's game, Carolina spots the Bucs 3.5 off the starting kick off. I am not terribly confident with the Panthers tonight. Derek Anderson will be starting under center for Carolina and he didn't give me much to be excited about last week. Maybe he has calmed down a bit and settled, we will see. To be fair, the Bucs defense is nothing to write home about. In this case, I think Carolina does just enough to get the win. I picked up RB2 Fozzy Whittaker for a tough bye week for my fantasy boys and hope it pays off with a QB2 under center. Panthers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looking to tonight's game, Carolina spots the Bucs 3.5 off the starting kick off. I am not terribly confident with the Panthers tonight. Derek Anderson will be starting under center for Carolina and he didn't give me much to be excited about last week. Maybe he has calmed down a bit and settled, we will see. To be fair, the Bucs defense is nothing to write home about. In this case, I think Carolina does just enough to get the win. I picked up RB2 Fozzy Whittaker for a tough bye week for my fantasy boys and hope it pays off with a QB2 under center. Panthers.
Went back to see the score...wow. It's official. Carolina is in free fall.

Quetzal

Went back to see the score...wow. It's official. Carolina is in free fall.
I didn't see the game, but I am not surprised. Let's take a look at the rap sheets. Anderson: 18/28, 278 yards, 0td, 2int, and 1 fumble. :smack: Thankfully, Cam should be back next week but even with him under center, I don't know about you Town, but I am not convinced it would help all that much. My my how the great Panthers have fallen. Winston did marginally better going 18/30, 219 yards, 1td, 0 int. Just goes to show you how badly turn overs can hurt.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I didn't see the game, but I am not surprised. Let's take a look at the rap sheets. Anderson: 18/28, 278 yards, 0td, 2int, and 1 fumble. :smack: Thankfully, Cam should be back next week but even with him under center, I don't know about you Town, but I am not convinced it would help all that much. My my how the great Panthers have fallen. Winston did marginally better going 18/30, 219 yards, 1td, 0 int. Just goes to show you how badly turn overs can hurt.
Ah, that's what I missed. Too busy over here. I didn't know Newton was out or I'd have gone against the line. They're struggling enough when he's there. :mmph: Shoot.

Quetzal

Coming into tonight's contest, the Broncos will be hosted by the Chargers who carry a 3.5 point head start. I believe this will be Rivers' first real challenge as he has put up exceptional numbers all year up to this point. I look for the Denver defense to put a cap on that early and ride that to the end. With Siemian back under center, I don't expect it to be pretty, but he could very easily light it up. On the flip side, the Denver defense needs to show up against the always dangerous Rivers. All considered, I will take the Broncos to cover.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Coming into tonight's contest, the Broncos will be hosted by the Chargers who carry a 3.5 point head start. I believe this will be Rivers' first real challenge as he has put up exceptional numbers all year up to this point. I look for the Denver defense to put a cap on that early and ride that to the end. With Siemian back under center, I don't expect it to be pretty, but he could very easily light it up. On the flip side, the Denver defense needs to show up against the always dangerous Rivers. All considered, I will take the Broncos to cover.
:think:

This one breaks either way for me. I could see SD covering. I could see Denver winning 27-19.

Here's the problem analyzing this game. The Charges have given up a lot of points, but they've given them up through the air and to some pretty good qbs. Can Denver move the ball like that? I don't know. The flip side? SD has put a lot of pts on the board through the air. But they did it against fairly suspect secondaries, from Indy to NO to Oakland. Can they do it against this defense?

I hate this particular game, but I'm going with Denver because when in doubt I lean on the home team and defense, if never again in Baltimore. :mmph:

Quetzal

:think:

This one breaks either way for me. I could see SD covering. I could see Denver winning 27-19.

Here's the problem analyzing this game. The Charges have given up a lot of points, but they've given them up through the air and to some pretty good qbs. Can Denver move the ball like that? I don't know. The flip side? SD has put a lot of pts on the board through the air. But they did it against fairly suspect secondaries, from Indy to NO to Oakland. Can they do it against this defense?

I hate this particular game, but I'm going with Denver because when in doubt I lean on the home team and defense, if never again in Baltimore. :mmph:
The game rests in the hands of Denver's defense. If they can put pressure on Rivers and make him move around, I think they can contain him. If they decide to take a snooze and refuse to wake up until half time, Rivers can shoot the lights out as we have seen so far this year. It will be a decent game, I think.

drbrumley

I'll take San Diego. No coach tonight for Denver and the defense is due for a bad game. Who better than Phillip Rivers to light them up? I'm probably wrong though and Denver will wax em.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'll take San Diego. No coach tonight for Denver and the defense is due for a bad game. Who better than Phillip Rivers to light them up? I'm probably wrong though and Denver will wax em.
It's a crazy game. I ran it and ran it and the mean is a Denver win and covering, but a not insignificant amount of the time SD takes it and covers.

I hate, hate, hate games like this. :plain: I wouldn't bet a hole punched farthing on it.

drbrumley

It's a crazy game. I ran it and ran it and the mean is a Denver win and covering, but a not insignificant amount of the time SD takes it and covers.

I hate, hate, hate games like this. :plain: I wouldn't bet a hole punched farthing on it.

I hear ya..

So who's your #1 right now? I got Minnesota.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I hear ya..

So who's your #1 right now? I got Minnesota.
:think: If I had to chart out a number where 20 was an average team and 30 as a SB caliber team, no team in the NFL would be ready just yet. There's a lot of uneven play and unbalanced offense/defense.

I have 17 weak sister teams below 20.
8 decent to good.
7 at playoff strength.

My number one? :think: Probably New England. Then Denver and Minnesota. Atlanta is right there.

Quetzal

:think: Atlanta....I'm not sold yet, I mean Tampa did a good number on them opening day.
I'm not sold either. Atlanta allows far too many points. The only reason, imo, that they are doing so well is that they get caught up in a shoot out and Ryan just does it better.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: Atlanta....I'm not sold yet, I mean Tampa did a good number on them opening day.
But just about everyone has one of those losses and Atlanta has been on a roll since. The defense let them down and the offense was still finding a groove.

TB 31
Atl 24

Atl 35
Oak 28

Atl 45
NO 32

Car 48
Atl 33

Atl 23
Den 16

Sure, Denver's offense is a work in progress and that's their lowest offensive total of the year (by one), but it's Denver, at altitude. A Bronco's team that beat TB by 20 and hadn't given up more than twenty until Atlanta rolled in to town.

Don't get me wrong, the Falcons have to tighten that defense or they're going to wear down by the time the playoffs are due. You can't keep playing pinball without it catching up to you. Ask New England. But for now they're playing the sort of offense that's tough to stop and they just moved the ball effectively on arguably the best defense in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.