NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Man it's been a long time since Miami was really good...

They are still looking for the replacement QB for Marino. Until Manning, Denver didn't have one either. It separates the winners from the Cleveland Browns. Whom ESPN said started 5 different quarterbacks in 5 straight games before Kessler.

Its all about Dallas now. Can they move the chains against Denver?

Quetzal

Looking at tomorrow nights gave we have the 49ers hosting the Arizona Cardinals. The line spots SF 2.5 to give them a small head start against Palmer and Co, if Palmer suits up. He left last week with a concussion and this short week does not bode well for that sort of injury. If he takes a seat it will be... erm... let's see...
read04.gif
Drew Stanton. I know nothing about this guy but it will limit productivity from the Arizona receivers. On the other hand, what has productivity been like for SF? Not much. In short, this one could be ugly but I will keep my faith where it is warm... for now. Arizona covers.
Let's talk about David Johnson. I expected him to have a good game given who was under center, but wow! I am pretty sure he is leading the NFL in rushing yards in a single game so far this year. Couple a few touchdowns and receptions, my fantasy team is more than happy! As for Mr. Stanton... let's just say the Cardinals will be very happy to have Palmer back next week when they host the Jets.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Let's talk about David Johnson. I expected him to have a good game given who was under center, but wow! I am pretty sure he is leading the NFL in rushing yards in a single game so far this year. Couple a few touchdowns and receptions, my fantasy team is more than happy! As for Mr. Stanton... let's just say the Cardinals will be very happy to have Palmer back next week when they host the Jets.
Played out about as expected for me. Two things, before Arizona fans get too excited, the Niners can't stop the run. They went into this game giving up around 140 yds on average. They added 30 yds to that for Arizona. That surprised me a little, because you knew Stanton was going to be given the safest calls ever, meaning short passes that pulled the defenders into the box and should have made the running game harder to get going.

So, marginally surprised by how poorly SF managed it and still concerned about that once impressive Cardinal defense. They did a good job on Gabbert and company, better than anyone but Seattle so far, which was encouraging. . . but then you see the damage a mobile qb does to that defense and you have to think, if they get everything together and make a run, what's happening if Carolina manages the same?

I know, I know, but it's a card to stick in your pocket and there are a couple of three athletic qbs in the NFC who can pass a little better than Gabbert. That's all I'm saying.

Another good start to the week as I begin 1-0. :D

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They are still looking for the replacement QB for Marino.

Yep.

Marino's last season was 1999.

Here is the infamous list of starting QB's for the Dolphins since then (minimum of 2 starts):

Jay Fiedler
Ray Lucas
Brian Griese
A.J. Feeley
Gus Frerotte
Joey Harrington
Daunte Culpepper
Cleo Lemon
Trent Green
John Beck
Chad Pennington
Chad Henne
Matt Moore
Ryan Tannehill

With the above list of really mediocre and bad QB's, it's no surprise that the Dolphins have been to the post-season just 3 times since 1999, all as a wildcard, and their postseason record is 1-3.

Prior to the year 2000, the Dolphins made the post-season 19 of 30 years, and went to 5 Super Bowls.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yep.

Here is the infamous list of starting QB's for the Dolphins since then (minimum of 2 starts):

Jay Fiedler
Ray Lucas
Brian Griese
A.J. Feeley
Gus Frerotte
Joey Harrington
Daunte Culpepper
Cleo Lemon
Trent Green
John Beck
Chad Pennington
Chad Henne
Matt Moore
Ryan Tannehill

With the above list of really mediocre and bad QB's, it's no surprise that the Dolphins have been to the post-season just 3 times since 1999, all as a wildcard, and their postseason record is 1-3.

Prior to the year 2000, the Dolphins made the post-season 19 of 30 years, and went to 5 Super Bowls.
Pennington was a really good, star crossed qb. But for the injury bug he'd have lifted them out of the Marino wake. His first year with Miami, before being injured again, he put up over 3,600 yds and 19 tds to 7 ints, with a qb rating of 97+. That's exceptional play. He had even better seasons with the Jets, when he was on the field for most of the season, but he couldn't stay upright. He was just too fragile.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep.

And the Steelers went a decade or so of mediocrity by passing on Marino. I can't remember the name of the player who wrecked his car after being the first round pick. I'm sure I could crib wikipedia for the draft, but you remember.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And the Steelers went a decade or so of mediocrity by passing on Marino.

They made it to the AFC Championship Game against Marino in 1984. They beat Elway in Denver that year.

But, from 1985 - 1988, it was pretty bad.

I can't remember the name of the player who wrecked his car after being the first round pick.

Gab Rivera.

He was paralyzed in a car accident after 6 games. He was a nose tackle from Texas Tech.

In the 1983 Draft, the Steelers took Rivera with the 21st pick. Everyone thought they would pick Marino if he was still available. However, they didn't.

Miami picked Marino with the 27th pick.

As much as a regret that that has been for the Steelers (considering Marino was born in the City of Pittsburgh, and played for the Pitt Panthers), the New York Jets chose Ken O'Brien with the 24th pick instead of Marino.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Speaking of that 1983 Draft.....it had a lot of good players.

Hall of Famers from the '83 Draft:

John Elway
Eric Dickerson
Jim kelley
Dan Marino
Darrell Green
Bruce Matthews
Richard Dent

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pennington was a really good, star crossed qb. But for the injury bug he'd have lifted them out of the Marino wake.

For the Dolphins, it's been a two headed monster.

First, they never replaced Marino with anyone close.

Secondly, Brady was chosen by the Patriots right after Marino retired......the Dolphins play in the same division as the Patriots.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For the Dolphins, it's been a two headed monster.

First, they never replaced Marino with anyone close.

Secondly, Brady was chosen by the Patriots right after Marino retired......the Dolphins play in the same division as the Patriots.
But then, how many teams wait for a while when it comes to great qbs?

KC is still waiting for the second Dawson shoe to drop. Who has SF had since the deadly combo of good fortune? Most teams wait for while and few manage to do much until they find that guy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Th

Fair summation
Thanks. I tried to balance credit and history. Plus, Denver has been even scarier on defense and I always lean toward that and home field, but hey, I said it was possible. I just didn't see it happening in Denver. Amazing game. If that doesn't fill them with confidence and a sense of destiny, a sea change in culture and expectation, nothing will. Great game Atlanta! Everyone is taking you seriously now. :cheers:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Speaking of good starts, I'm 8-4 against the line heading into tonight's game. :D

Glad you took the Steeler's minus the points against the Jets.

After the Steelers play at Miami next week, they have New England at home, Baltimore on the road, and then Dallas at home.

Those three games will tell us if the Steelers are for real or not this year. I'm still suspect of a defense that gives up almost 300 passing yards a game.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
good starts
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...nference=ALL&d-447263-s=PASSING_INTERCEPTIONS

Through the league maximum at this point five games, Minnesota's, Dallas's and New England's passing games have combined for zero interceptions. Dallas and NE are tied with 155 pass attempts through five, and Minnesota has 158. Each of these programs' passer ratings, is between 102-109, trailing Atlanta's QBR of 121.6 through five, by a considerable margin, even though their program has thrown a pick on average every 84 attempts, trailing GB, who've thrown one pick in 94 attempts this year.

If you were to watch these teams' games end-to-end you would see 468 consecutive PAs without a single interception.

An interception is usually a play in which the offense learns that the actual play was that the QB was going to turn-coat and throw the ball to the other team's defense instead of their own offense. Teams that don't throw picks merely deny the other team's defense a chance to have a secret agent working for them on the offensive side of the ball every so many passing plays.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My sister in-law asked about fantasy football. I said take Zeke Elliot. But I can't fault her for taking A.P. If only a crystal ball worked.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, the Packers inability to play two full halves cost me a half point victory late. Man, I hate both of these teams. :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.