Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
For those who wish to pretend that domestic abuse does not exist and is not related to children witnessing it during their childhood:

According to the statistics:

http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/domestic-violence-statistics/

It's a common thing to want to place the blame on something else rather than take responsibility.

It's also convenient to not have a solid statistic of people who lived with domestic abuse but grew up and didn't become domestic abusers.

I suppose that would be a disservice to the female agenda though- the entire thing, all of this, has become centered around that. So of course there's nothing but a loaded bias within and throughout- one won't find a statistic that is against women, unless of course it's killing born infants and toddlers. And only because that can't be hidden.

Arsenios

Except for those cases where it is a woman's fault, and there are those out there. If the kids grown up seeing their mother hitting and screaming at their dad, they are just as damaged as if it's the other way around.

:thumb:

The human condition is broken -
That is why Christ incarnated...
The only evil we have a chance of eradicating is that within our own souls...

Arsenios

Arsenios

You'd best trust God to do that. :)

He won't do it against our will...

But yes, you are right...

ONLY God CAN eradicate sin in our own souls...

AND...

Our repentance is His prerequisite...

"Repent and be baptized, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"

I know, we disagree on this issue...

Arsenios

glorydaz

He won't do it against our will...

But yes, you are right...

ONLY God CAN eradicate sin in our own souls...

AND...

Our repentance is His prerequisite...

"Repent and be baptized, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"

I know, we disagree on this issue...

Arsenios

Yes, we do, but I'll leave you with this to ponder. He doesn't need to do it against our will....He gives us the will to do His good pleasure.

Philippians 2:13
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.​

ClimateSanity

Yes, we do, but I'll leave you with this to ponder. He doesn't need to do it against our will....He gives us the will to do His good pleasure.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.​

It might take bringing you to the edge of despair first. It's at that point, you do it willingly. Not saying its always that way....just happened to me.

glorydaz

It might take bringing you to the edge of despair first. It's at that point, you do it willingly. Not saying its always that way....just happened to me.

Quite true, but we can be CONFIDENT He will perform what He began in us.....as new creatures in HIM. :)
Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:​

Arsenios

13 For it is God Who is working in you
both to be willing
and to be doing

His good pleasure.​

I hope you like the correction I gave to your text -
Same meaning, with different emphasis...

And the corollary to that sentence is:
"Ask and ye shall receive."

Personally, I went beyond despair, and flat out gave up, as an atheist... And at that point, I received the break-throughs from God that I needed... But that is a case of an unbeliever... These days, I ASK for the will to DO God's will, and to even to KNOW God's will I ASK to be shown it... Then I seek it, and beckon unto it, and it gradually [as a general rule] arrives not all that supernaturally...

Of course, I am a slow learner...

Arsenios

glorydaz

I hope you like the correction I gave to your text -
Same meaning, with different emphasis...

No, I didn't really like the "correction" you gave. "To be willing" isn't the same as to have a strong desire....which is what I believe the verse is saying.

And the corollary to that sentence is:
"Ask and ye shall receive."

Personally, I went beyond despair, and flat out gave up, as an atheist... And at that point, I received the break-throughs from God that I needed... But that is a case of an unbeliever... These days, I ASK for the will to DO God's will, and to even to KNOW God's will I ASK to be shown it... Then I seek it, and beckon unto it, and it gradually [as a general rule] arrives not all that supernaturally...

Of course, I am a slow learner...

Arsenios

So, the verse you "corrected" was perfect the way it was. And you see your agreement with that in the yellow (above). He works in you (causes you) to desire (will/want to) and to do (accomplish) His good pleasure. I'll stick it in the verse and you can see what I mean. To be willing is almost a reluctance where "to will" means to really want to do something.

Phil. 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will (want to do or desire to do) and to do of his good pleasure.​

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No.

Ephesians 5:25 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I was a VAWA lawyer working with three different shelters.

and here we see the roots of the bias inherent in town's thinking

having worked with women who were abused and in need, town then believes that every woman who claims to be abused and in need, is.

because that's all he knows

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

having worked with women who were abused and in need, town then believes that every woman who claims to be abused and in need, is.

I called that out before. Being a lawyer basically disqualifies one from the topic of court bias.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Knowledge isn't a bias and my perception on the matter is backed by objective fact and extensive training. It's illustrated in my anecdotal experience and supported by it, but the rule comes from larger observations and recording.

I've actually spoken about turning down representation for some because I felt there was no substantiation for the charges and, once or twice I was fairly certain it was an angle for divorce. Mostly it isn't and rarely when you make rounds in the shelter. The hardest part about that representation is how often they go back in mid legal action, until the next bruise or worse, until they hit bottom and recognize the cycle they're locked into. It's hard to watch.

Like most lawyers who practice widely and long enough I've seen the exception and the rule often enough.

Arsenios

No, I didn't really like the "correction" you gave. "To be willing" isn't the same as to have a strong desire....which is what I believe the verse is saying.

Well, there IS a great division driven between the spirit and the soul when one "denies one's self" in preparation to "follow Christ", and this is usually understood to deny mortalized self-will and to embrace Christ's Holy Will... You are right, will and desire are closely connected, and the Greek word for both is the same word - theleo...

When Paul wrote in Romans to those knowing the Law as (if he himself were) one knowing the Law, he divided himself the same way, for what he desired to do, he could not, and what he desired not to do, that is exactly what he did in fact do, knowing the Law...

The Greek present, "to will", is normally an ongoing present, and means to be DOING the action of WILLING or DESIRING (which you prefer)...

The Call of God indeed does give one a strong desire, and it is in that desire that one finds one's self unwilling to be DOING that which one is desiring - Hence the STRUGGLE that is so essential for the faithful to be engaging - As Paul wrote: "To be running the race set before us"... So that when we fall short, we ASK God for strength to be DOING and to be KNOWING His Divine Will...

In the absence of asking, we will not be receiving - Even the Lord's Prayer which we all pray so regularly - is a series of six petitions asking God's help that we walk only in His Will...

So, the verse you "corrected" was perfect the way it was.

The English simple present, "to will and to do" can translate both the present and the aorist infinitive, you see... But "to be willing and to be doing" can ONLY translate the Greek present tense.

We disagree then, for I understand the import of the sentence to mean that when our feeble will runs out of strength, it is God Who will strengthen us in our struggle to do God's Will that we are falling down trying to do in our weakness...

You think it is simply "a strong desire", and this God does give to us, but then He withdraws this string desire so we can see where our weaknesses lie, and attain greater repentance from them so as for God to return and heal them...

We have two very different understandings...

And you see your agreement with that in the yellow (above). He works in you (causes you) to desire (will/want to) and to do (accomplish) His good pleasure. I'll stick it in the verse and you can see what I mean. To be willing is almost a reluctance where "to will" means to really want to do something.

There IS reluctance until we become perfected [fully mature] in the faith of Christ... Which is why Christ says: "FIRST, let him deny himself..." Later, as the reformation of the soul proceeds, that reluctance in each area of the soul holding self-satisfying passions is abated, repentance by repentance, attaining God's mercy from Glory to Glory...

Phil. 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will (want to do or desire to do) and to do of his good pleasure.​

Yes, this He does... And He commands us in this regard:

"ASK, and ye shall receive!"

Because, you see, we are working with TWO wills in our ONE soul and body...

One will desires God...

The other does not...

And WE are not strong enough to desire God and overcome our self-will...

SO...

"I will receive the Cup of Salvation...
And I will CALL upon the Name of the Lord..."

We ask of God in order to receive of God...

Arsenios

Status
Not open for further replies.