Theology Club: I'm a heretic (probably...you tell me)

journey

I think the sign gifts were for the early church and the Jews in particular. I've never seen where pastors are supposed to be teachers...although that's what's popular today. As far as teachers, I've been taught by some brand new believers from some particular portion of scripture the Lord has opened to their understanding in a wonderful way. We're all evangelists, are we not, sharing the Gospel with who the Lord brings our way though not necessarily called to the mission field?

It's ever that danger that when people consider themselves to be teachers, etc. that pride enters in. I recognize some are blessed with the ability to teach, but rarely do they see that in themselves.

As far as prayer goes, I agree completely with you, musterion. I don't care if it fits with Acts 2, 9, 13, or 28. I have had way too many prayers answered over the past forty plus years and seen the prayers of others answered to ever call it mere coincidence. I believe all my prayers are answered...sometimes with a no, but always with an understanding that my request was amiss. I've even been thankful a specific request was denied because it would have been unprofitable compared to what actually happened. In the same way, I would tell my own children NO because I knew it was not for their good. Your analogy of a loving father was right on. :thumb:

What a great thread this has turned out to be....and it was "reborn" from an earlier time. Way cool.

I agree completely - excellent post.

glorydaz

Yay! Glorydaz is back!

Hey loved one in the Lord; thanks for your contribution.

Explored in or not, we differ on this, and that's fine by me - "for whatsoever is not of faith is sin," Rom. 14:23.

Please, if you find you do not understand what I mean by quoting that part of that verse in this context, feel free to ask me; you know I've got your back. D.

Thanks, D. I appreciate that, and you're right....I have no clue about what exactly we don't agree on or why you posted that particular verse or what it's in relation to. Is it about prayer or the gifts? :)

way 2 go

there are plenty -

tumblr_mj7krd58tW1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

Jerry Shugart

You do that. Before you go, keep in mind that Paul wrote Ephesians about four or so years before he wrote 2nd Timothy. Notice how positive Paul's outlook has become regarding the future condition of the Church right before the end of his course...

Doesn't sound like he was too positive, as witnessed by his warning here:

"But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some" (2 Tim.2:16-18).​

That is why he said that gifts would continue being given to equip his people for works of service UNTIL we all reach unity in the faith:

"So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (Eph.4:11-15).​

Common sense dictates that gifts are still being given because those in the Body have not yet reached a unity in the faith. But you continue to ignore this fact. Do you think that we have all reached unity in the faith?

Of course we haven't and the various opinions found on this forum prove it. Despite this you can somehow imagine that we have indeed reached unity in the faith. How else can you explain your idea that the gifts are no longer needed or are no longer being given?

The "apostles" and "prophets" were initially given to equip Christians for works of service. But their work was foundational in nature and once the foundation was laid then it was not necessary for those gifts to be continued to be given. However, the other gifts serve to help Christians attain to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Now please explain why you think that the gifts have been discontinued to be given despite the fact that Paul made it plain that they will continue to be given UNTIL those in the Body reach a unity of the faith?

You haven't yet addressed those facts!

musterion

Doesn't sound like he was too positive, as witnessed by his warning here:

"But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some" (2 Tim.2:16-18).​

Exactly my point. In contrast, Ephesians was upbeat and positive in tone. There'd been a major change between the two writings.

That is why he said that gifts would continue being given to equip his people for works of service UNTIL we all reach unity in the faith:

Then in 2,000 years God has been unable to see it happen, and the situation grows worse all the time. Did He fail? No. Pauline revelation had not yet been rejected by the Church, due to grievous wolves and false skins of godliness, when Paul wrote to the Ephesians.

By the time of 2 Timothy, however, the Spirit told him what was now going to happen, overriding his hope of oneness in Ephesians. What was coming, and has come, would be grim.

2 Tim 3 describes the then-future condition of the professing church. Does it foretell a Body in oneness, united around Paul's revelations, per his hope in Ephesians? No. Falseness, heresy and iniquity? Yes.

Common sense dictates that gifts are still being given because those in the Body have not yet reached a unity in the faith.

Your common sense may dictate that, but what was perhaps the final revelation Paul received said the opposite. I know which one I'm going to believe.

But you continue to ignore this fact. Do you think that we have all reached unity in the faith?

Nope. 2 Timothy explains why not.

I have now adequately addressed your points. You, on the other hand, are citing human tradition when you say that some of the gifts Paul mentioned in Ephesians are gone while others remain. Paul made no such distinction; either all are in action today or none are. You are a dishonest, careless handler of the Word of God.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

You are a dishonest, careless handler of the Word of God.

First you asserted that Paul became more positive as time went by:

Before you go, keep in mind that Paul wrote Ephesians about four or so years before he wrote 2nd Timothy. Notice how positive Paul's outlook has become regarding the future condition of the Church right before the end of his course...

And then when I quoted from 2 Timothy which demonstrated that Paul wasn't so positive right before the end of his course you turn around and say that he was more positive earlier:

Exactly my point. In contrast, Ephesians was upbeat and positive in tone. There'd been a major change between the two writings.

And then you say that I am a dishonest handler of the word.

I see this all the time on this forum. When someone can't answer the message they attack the messenger.

Last edited:

Danoh

Thanks, D. I appreciate that, and you're right....I have no clue about what exactly we don't agree on or why you posted that particular verse or what it's in relation to. Is it about prayer or the gifts? :)

Good day, sis,

We differ in the above in the sense that, whereas you hold that God still works today outside of His Word...

I, on the other hand, hold that God only works today, by His Spirit resident, in the inward man of the Believer, through His Word.

We see this as His signs in the Gentiles for a sign to His sign people: Israel, that He was (temporarily) moving away from them (Romans 11's "diminishing away"), came to a close, Isaiah 8:18; 1 Cor. 14: 21-22; Acts 28:28.

I'll come back to that in another post, as I want touch on something just as important.

I ended the previous post as I did, because, in this issue, as with all others, for me, for example here, to insist that you (or anyone in the faith) believe a thing as I do, would be to insist that you/they sin, "for whatsoever is not of faith" (not something you/they perhaps do not presently hold to in the same manner, if ever) "is sin," Rom. 14:23.

As he had written earlier, in 2 Cor. 1:

24. Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

You stand by faith; by the faith of Christ; by what He alone accomplished.

In this, none of us have any business insisting anyone in the Son, believe as we do just so we can be impressed with what a smart individual we are, or whatever each person's issue might be that they have yet brought to and left, at the Cross, despite all their talk of having all the right answers, including this fool writing these very words to you, here.

You stand by faith, sis. By what He accomplished for you to just put out your precious hand, and grab a hold of - Eternal Life!

There is "healing" in that, that no physical delivery can ever match!

As Tammy put it, "His grace is sufficient!"

Now this, I do insist you rest all your cares in, lol

Much love to you, in the Lord.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good day, sis,

We differ in the above in the sense that, whereas you hold that God still works today outside of His Word...

I, on the other hand, hold that God only works today, by His Spirit resident, in the inward man of the Believer, through His Word.

We see this as His signs in the Gentiles for a sign to His sign people: Israel, that He was (temporarily) moving away from them (Romans 11's "diminishing away"), came to a close, Isaiah 8:18; 1 Cor. 14: 21-22; Acts 28:28.

I'll come back to that in another post, as I want touch on something just as important.

I ended the previous post as I did, because, in this issue, as with all others, for me, for example here, to insist that you (or anyone in the faith) believe a thing as I do, would be to insist that you/they sin, "for whatsoever is not of faith" (not something you/they perhaps do not presently hold to in the same manner, if ever) "is sin," Rom. 14:23.

24. Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

You stand by faith; by the faith of Christ; by what He alone accomplished.

In this, none of us have any business insisting anyone in the Son, believe as we do just so we can be impressed with what a smart individual we are, or whatever each person's issue might be that they have yet brought to and left, at the Cross, despite all their talk of having all the right answers, including this fool writing these very words to you, here.

You stand by faith, sis. By what He accomplished for you to just put out your precious hand, and grab a hold of - Eternal Life!

There is "healing" in that, that no physical delivery can ever match!

As Tammy put it, "His grace is sufficient!"

Now this, I do insist you rest all your cares in, lol

Much love to you, in the Lord.
:thumb:

You stand by faith; by the faith of Christ; by what He alone accomplished.​

Signed, sealed, delivered.

Arsenios

I don't know of a single Christian today
that has all their prayers answered.

Hey, Tam...

Sure you do...

Yours especially...

A non-response is one answer...

You see...

But even most non-responses are so
simply because we do not pay attention
to the events that ARE our answers ...

Reality is the ontological answer...

When we pray with tears in profound need...
The answers come...

When we pray for our favorite ice cream...
Silence is a really good answer...

Jes' sayin'...

A.

Arsenios

That seems to be the answer most given.

Properly so, because word answers are shallow, and events speak the ontological answers that matter...

Or, to quote a friend of mine:

"Talk is cheap, and experience is the only teacher..."

God's answers are ontological...

Which makes discipleship a reality-quest...

A.

musterion

First you asserted that Paul became more positive as time went by:

And then when I quoted from 2 Timothy which demonstrated that Paul wasn't so positive right before the end of his course you turn around and say that he was more positive earlier:

And then you say that I am a dishonest handler of the word.

I see this all the time on this forum. When someone can't answer the message they attack the messenger.

My "positive" comment was deliberate sarcasm in order to make the exact opposite point -- that in 2 Timothy, Paul was not at all positive and hopeful for the future, as he had been in years before to the Ephesians. But I figured you'd feel insulted if I pointed out that it was sarcasm. I figured you'd be able to pick up on such a simple rhetorical device. I figured wrong.

Now that you've embarrassed yourself even more than you already had, feel free to tell us how many apostles are among us today and how we can know they're apostles. Since your stated position demands that the gift of apostles is still in operation, I mean.

Or will you continue to dodge this issue in a less than honest fashion?

glorydaz

Good day, sis,

The rest of your post is fine, but this part is kinda silly if you ask me. In the first place, prayer has absolutely nothing to do with gifts. It does have to do with the Spirit who indwells us (in the inward man) which is how we commune with the Lord. He very often answers us through His word, especially as to why we may not receive what we have requested...we do find answers in the scripture, and I'm not denying that. However, when we see our prayers being answered, we are not to count it as coincidence. I will never agree to that, and I think it's wrong. I don't see how you can even compare prayer and intercession with any gift.

Phil. 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.​

So, I'm thinking maybe you aren't quite perfect about looking at things from someone else's viewpoint after all. :chuckle:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
However, when we see our prayers being answered, we are not to count it as coincidence.
I ask this with all sincerity .....
How do you tell the difference between God personally intervening and coincidence?