I hate funerals and ...

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Ahhhh yes, capitalism is alive and well in America. This entrepreneur is obviously reacting to market demand, offering something people want for a profit, and necessity being the mother of invention we now have the drive through viewing window at the mortuary. I don't know why you all hate this, you don't even have to get out of the car, meet other mourners, just in and done...brilliant! :chuckle:

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
When, why, if we should go to funerals or not go?

Would you not go due to distance?
Would you not go due to not being close to the person?
What other reasons would one go or not go to funerals?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I laughed out loud over that comment!
Made me think of my aunt. Years ago she and I were in the same funeral home limo on our way to the cemetery to watch my great grandmother get planted and my aunt said "I hate all this crap. When I die just toss me in the river and go out and have a beer."

Well my aunt died a few years ago and I was a thousand miles away and could not attend her funeral. So I took her up on her word. I went to a local pub ordered a glass of wine and raised it in a toast to her. That was the best funeral I ever attended. :)

PureX

It's the phony and expensive 'hubbub' that funerals have become that I dislike. I understand that the loved-ones of the person who has died often need that ritual of finality to help them accept and grieve their loss. But in the old days we'd do it quickly, and at home, and at little trouble and expense to the family.

That's how we should be doing it, still.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Would you not go due to not being close to the person?"
I think it's more about the loved ones who remain who might be grieving.

"What other reasons would one go or not go to funerals?"
If the grieved are also dead spiritually (Mt 8:22).
dead.gif

"Most people die by 30 but we don't bury them 'til 65 or so." ~ Mark Twain Eze 20:18

fzappa13

My father build an art museum called the cosmic shed https://www.facebook.com/CosmicShed and during the process he made a huge pile of all the wood waste. When people asked him about the pile he said it was his funeral pyre. Turns out he wasn't joking. I called everyone in his personal phone book and told them we were going to have a wake at the shed. It's wasn't planned but this low layer of fog spread out over the area and we had a full eclipse of a full moon. It was just a little surreal.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
It's the phony and expensive 'hubbub' that funerals have become that I dislike. I understand that the loved-ones of the person who has died often need that ritual of finality to help them accept and grieve their loss. But in the old days we'd do it quickly, and at home, and at little trouble and expense to the family.

That's how we should be doing it, still.
Cultures mourn in a variety of ways. I think the body should be laid to rest in burial to acknowledge the fact that we are made in God's image and likeness (Ge 9:6). We will be raised bodily (1 Jn 3:2).

Now, if you've been eaten by a shark and your bits are scattered all over the ocean, this could not be helped. Still, God will gather up all that is you--your DNA--and give you a body fit for eternity-- wherever that may be--a body fit for heaven and living there :straight: or a body fit for hell and living there. :burnlib: I recommend the former.

Last edited:

Buzzword

Made me think of my aunt. Years ago she and I were in the same funeral home limo on our way to the cemetery to watch my great grandmother get planted and my aunt said "I hate all this crap. When I die just toss me in the river and go out and have a beer."

Well my aunt died a few years ago and I was a thousand miles away and could not attend her funeral. So I took her up on her word. I went to a local pub ordered a glass of wine and raised it in a toast to her. That was the best funeral I ever attended. :)

Reminds me of my father-in-law.

(said to my wife) : "Kid, when I croak, you get my house keys so nobody can claim your stuff, then dig a post-hole and dump me in, head-first. Raise a toast and leave me for the kay-oats."