Cosby Is a Serial Rapist

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I don't think it's probable to assume that at all. Cosby was at this for 40 years. I'm surprised the number is not much higher, and in fact, it probably is. But only a few women out of the whole group of them are willing to step up and tell their story.

And he clearly exhibited a pattern of pretending to be a "mentor" to young aspiring actresses and comedians, inviting them to come to his house or room to discuss this mentorship, and then drugging them when it was clear that they were not going to willingly let him have sex with them (I'm sure some did let him, but they are not at issue, here). Why anyone would want to blame this kind of sexual assault on the women is beyond reasonable comprehension. Seems like one would have to hate women nearly as much as Cosby himself does to do something like that.

I'm simply thinking of this in legal terms for the moment, I agree that Cosby shows a pattern of raping lifeless women that are drugged, but what can the prosecution prove ? They will paint these victims as whores and to a certain extent some probably were.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm simply thinking of this in legal terms for the moment, I agree that Cosby shows a pattern of raping lifeless women that are drugged, but what can the prosecution prove ? They will paint these victims as whores and to a certain extent some probably were.

Well, IF I were prosecuting the case, I would use Cosby's own admission to drugging women as evidence to help convict him.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Well, IF I were prosecuting the case, I would use Cosby's own admission to drugging women as evidence to help convict him.

Well yes, obviously if he admits to drugging and raping them without consent, but I don't think black Willy would do that. :think:

PureX

Hopefully the juries will be more discerning than you seem to want to be.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, by selling themselves for future work or advancement or money etc.
I just don't know why it didn't become known much earlier.

For the same many other cases of rape are not known earlier ... the victims are afraid to come forward.

Considering how much effort is made on blaming victims, it's completely understandable.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For the same many other cases of rape are not known earlier ... the victims are afraid to come forward.

Considering how much effort is made on blaming victims, it's completely understandable.
And people with clout and power are intimidating to those without it, especially those within the industry. It's easy to imagine an actress, unaware of others in her position, thinking that going after a beloved public figure without hard evidence would mostly accomplish her embarrassment and an end to her professional life, along with making her own life the stuff of tabloids, lurid speculation and skeleton seeking.

It's a testimony to the power of celebrity in our culture.

musterion

Surely you've heard of the long history of payoffs?

If it's found a woman who now accuses him of rape had accepted hush money in the past, well...

Does that mean Cosby cannot possibly be guilty of any actual rape of some woman/women? No.

Did I ever say he cannot possibly be guilty of any actual rape? No.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Surely you've heard of the long history of payoffs?

If it's found a woman who now accuses him of rape had accepted hush money in the past, well...

Does that mean Cosby cannot possibly be guilty of any actual rape of some woman/women? No.

Did I ever say he cannot possibly be guilty of any actual rape? No.

yes you didn't

PureX

The rumors had been around for 30 years or more. But he was never charged. And there are all sorts of reasons for that. Some he paid off. Most were too embarrassed or frightened to speak up. And he was a very popular black entertainer, which made him difficult to take down in public.

Also, there were plenty of women who agreed to have sex with him, thinking he would help their careers. And that, too, was pretty well known by those around him and in the industry. Making it that much more difficult to be believed if one were not one of those, but had actually been raped. You know the lawyers are going to claim she wanted it.

bybee

The rumors had been around for 30 years or more. But he was never charged. And there are all sorts of reasons for that. Some he paid off. Most were too embarrassed or frightened to speak up. And he was a very popular black entertainer, which made him difficult to take down in public.

Also, there were plenty of women who agreed to have sex with him, thinking he would help their careers. And that, too, was pretty well known by those around him and in the industry. Making it that much more difficult to be believed if one were not one of those, but had actually been raped. You know the lawyers are going to claim she wanted it.
Defense lawyers know that a good defense is to sling mud by making assertions that besmirch the character of the victim. And going for the pity party works well also. Note the hobbling gait and hanging face displayed whilst being aided to walk by kindly men on each side of his ailing self? :luigi::allsmile::mario:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Defense lawyers know that a good defense is to sling mud by making assertions that besmirch the character of the victim.
A defense lawyer understands disparate claims are being made, mostly unsupported by more than testimony. So the central issue becomes credibility. The charge itself is an attack on that with regard to the defendant. The defense then has only a few ways to combat that. They'll note the lack of physical evidence, witnesses and the passage of time between the alleged event and the allegation at law. Lastly, but importantly, they'll bring into question the credibility of any witness for the prosecution. And they should. A jury needs to know if the person they're being told to believe has a reputation for being more or less than credible.

It isn't mannered, but courtrooms aren't that. They're battle grounds with people's lives and fortunes at stake.

And going for the pity party works well also. Note the hobbling gait and hanging face displayed whilst being aided to walk by kindly men on each side of his ailing self? :luigi::allsmile::mario:
Theater. But a decent prosecutor can use the attempt to his advantage, if he's sharp enough. An actor, acting. Convincingly even. The way he acted the part of a benign, helpful mentor, of a trustworthy friend, of a fatherly figure in a few cases. How he appeared to be one thing and underneath that mask was a predator. It begs a simple summation...something like, off the cuff...

"Mr. Cosby's greatest performance was never seen on any theater screen, stage or television. It was, instead, the role he played for us away from those, one crafted with guile, calculation and a force of personality that was undeniable, parlaying our good will and his ability into a beloved status, wearing the guise of a decent, caring human being. And it worked. It worked for decades, bringing the man adulation, wealth, esteem... and victims. Victims dazzled, or drawn or fooled by it all, as we were. As our wives and mothers and daughters were. One after the other. Decade after decade. Victim after victim.

All we saw was a projection, not the man...only Bill Cosby's victims saw the man, saw what was behind that mask, if mostly through a drug induced stupor. The weapon of a coward, the act of a predator. Only his victims met the real Bill Cosby. And in the aftermath? Most were too frightened to take on that persona and the weight of his public status, the thing they had believed in too. Can you blame them? Wounded, used, faced with challenging his word?

I can't. They knew what we couldn't. And they knew we wouldn't believe, wouldn't want to believe it. He counted on that. And in a way he used us too.

Well, that stops here. You've heard the testimony, witness after witness. You know the facts. The truth follows them. Your duty is clear as it is simple, do justice. Convict Bill Cosby of his crimes."

So being an actor can be turned against him. It depends on the prosecutor.