• No, cell phones are of the devil. :)

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
BillyBob said:
I HATE cell phones!!!! :madmad:

They don't work half the time and they are a nuisance every time they ring when I'm in the middle of something. I only use one for work, and very few people have the number because I hate to be bothered. If they want to talk to me they can call the office and leave a message, I'll get back to them.

And I really hate the idea of cell phones with cameras, video recorders, tape recorders and GPS units on them. I just want a cell phone that works, not all that other crap!

And I hate when people use cell phones while they are driving and it causes them to stop paying attention to what they are doing!

:sozo2:

:first:

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
BillyBob said:
And I HATE when I am talking with someone, their cell phone rings and they walk away from our conversation in favor of answering their stupid phone! :madmad:

BillyBob already said everything I have to say about cell phone, other than I HATE cell phones!!!! :madmad:

Oh, did BB already say that?

I will be the last to own a cell phone.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
philosophizer said:
Not enough to really matter. I mean, it's a phone.

Maybe cell phones work better where you live. Here, half the time they have that annoying echo and that slight delay that messes up the timing of your conversation which is crucial in business and not meaningless in a simple friendly conversation.

koban

I carry one because my son's diabetic.

90% of my calls have been to AAA to send a tow truck! :sozo2:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I have a cell phone. I've had one since I was 15. It would be strange to not have one, not sure what I'd do. My parents each have their own also. At home I always use our land line though because I'd much rather talk on that than a cell phone, but I still would never want to be without a cell phone. Right now we use a family plan. It works out pretty well. You can add new number/phones to it for an additional $20/month.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
philosophizer said:
I have one and my wife has one. The are our main phones. We don't have a land line. When we moved to Iowa we were staying with relatives for a while and we needed our own phone numbers. When we moved into our place we just never got a line hooked up. Our plan is very reasonable: free incoming calls, free nights and weekends, 1500 daytime minutes. So they're pretty much like a land line to us anyways. We have great coverage. The only annoying thing is when I forget to charge it.

I do hate the way some people treat and use their own cell phones though.
That's what I'd been doing. I haven't had a landline since I graduated from college in 2000. Because I've had cable internet, I didn't really need a land line and it was cheaper to use a cell phone, but I'd normally leave it at home unless I was going out of town.

But this month I'm cancelling my cell phone because I just signed up with SunRocket, which works over the cable internet line and works like a champ. We can keep our phone number, and we'll have unlimited long distance, caller ID, call waiting and all that good stuff for $199 a year. That works out to about $17 a month vs. $40 for our cell (or more on occasions where we'd go over our daytime minutes), so we'll save around $300 a year.

I would be concerned that we'd have no phone if our internet service is on the fritz, but my desk phone at work was replaced with a cell a couple months ago, so we have that as a backup. Also, we can have our SunRocket line forwarded to my work cell when we're out. :up:

koban

kmoney said:
I've made my fair share of those calls too! :mad:

The most frustrating one was this summer. I was north of Toronto and locked my keys in the van. As an electrical storm moved in, I attempted to contact AAA by cell phone. Had to call the NYS office, explain to them where I was in Canada and then, three times in a row, I got transferred to some French speaking operator in Quebec. Finally got transferred to the Ontario operator and while trying to explain to her where I was, lost the connection due to the storm numerous times.

I think it was about 50 minutes before I finally got the information through. :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
koban said:
The most frustrating one was this summer. I was north of Toronto and locked my keys in the van. As an electrical storm moved in, I attempted to contact AAA by cell phone. Had to call the NYS office, explain to them where I was in Canada and then, three times in a row, I got transferred to some French speaking operator in Quebec. Finally got transferred to the Ontario operator and while trying to explain to her where I was, lost the connection due to the storm numerous times.

I think it was about 50 minutes before I finally got the information through. :chuckle:
:noway: Wow, I'd be so mad. I would have just broke the window rather than deal with all that. :chuckle:

Emo

We have one cell phone that my wife carries 99% of the time. We use US Cellular, which provides good service, but I don't think it's worth over $50 a month. I have a short commute to work and a direct line there so I don't think I really need one. I would be lucky to talk more than 50-100 minutes a month if I did carry one. The only time I think it might be useful would be in some type of emergency, but if I called my wife during an emergency, she would probably miss the call due to her stupid phone being buried down inside her purse (nope, my wife isn't the only woman with a messy purse). Go figure. Cell phones suck!

Another thing I don't understand is, why don't people use a hands-free device while driving their car instead of driving like a moron with a phone stuck in their ear. :think:

Last edited:

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
I don't have a house phone I only have a cell. I find that it's much more convenient to be able to have a phone that I can take anywhere with me.

It's a cheapy Motorola that cost me about 40 bux. My service is T-Mobile. I like it!
Anyone can reach me anytime for any reason night or day and I can do the same. I can't find a downside in that.

:cool:

Mr. 5020

I have a cell phone through Sprint. I've had it since 2001. I have it because I'm never home, therefore I do not have a land line.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
death2impiety said:
Anyone can reach me anytime for any reason night or day. . . I can't find a downside in that.
Don't you ever want to be out of reach?

logos_x

I don't have one...and I checked i'd like to have one...but really...what for?

I don't think I want one after all.

My home phone is on Vonage...and I love that!

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
koban said:

I went deep into Quebec last year on a fishing trip, those people barely speak any English and God knows I don't speak French. Ordering food was an adventure, and I still don't know what I said to that cop that made him throw me in jail for 2 nights. Isn't 'Frog' a compliment? :freak:

ShadowMaid

I really like my cell phone. I use it for mostly for emergencies, although Dad says I don't, because I have run out of minutes. I think he forgot, that when in CO, my phone was what we used, and I'm charged extra for that. So no, Dad, I don't use it as a general phone. Why would I waste my minutes when I can used the house phone?

Oh, and I like the fact Dad has on, because Dad doesn't live much for schedules. ^_^