Can't sleep. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Anyone have any suggestions that help you get to sleep when you are having trouble?

Eat three meals a day that includes protein.
Eating trypotophan rich foods helps.
One hour before bed, eat a potato.
You should not eat any protein with the potato (fat is okay, eg. butter).
It will work like a sleeping pill.
Also, it will increase your seratonin levels and improve your mood.

Lon

Read before going to sleep. Scripture is always good. Also think through his life from infancy through childhood. It helps to dwell on the good and force that particular negative out of the picture. Cherish your memories and even if you are still awake, time well spent. I'll be praying for you as well. I tend to do that when I feel inadequate to help with something I'm clueless about. Prayer may be the only helpful thing I have to offer here. In our Precious Christ. Philippians 4:8

journey

Yes of course you would say something like this.

I am thinking about my sons murder and wondering if they will ever find who killed him - that tends to keep one awake.

Now say something else nasty. Show everyone what you are.

I believe strongly in the power of prayer, and I like to pray before going to sleep. Opening your heart to God is a good thing, and God can give you peace. You will be in my prayers every night now.

Sandycane

Anyone have any suggestions that help you get to sleep when you are having trouble?

Thanks for any help.

I am SO sorry about your losing your son. I can't imagine how horribly difficult life must be for you right now... and I have no advice to offer other than to just do whatever helps you cope. Scream, cry, sleep, pray, whatever.

As for the sleep, as someone else mentioned, Valerian root makes me nod like a heroin addict - when I wanted to quit smoking, I took 2-3 at a time 3 times a day for two weeks. It worked, I quit, and that was more than 2 years ago.

Another thing that helps me sleep is a glass of warm milk and 3-4 sugar cookies. Knocks me right out and I sleep like a baby.

I won't pray, but I will wish for you peace of mind.
:jessilu:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Thanks for any help.
I sleep very little and what works for me is to get out of the bed if you have not fallen asleep within 15-25 minutes and just do something else. It matters not what you do, just do something and let biology take its course. There are times when I failed to sleep at all, but the next night sleep came mercifully easy. ;)

I have a very comfortable sofa with a pull out leg rest and I sometimes end up spending what time I sleep right there following some reading, just petting my dogs, or listening to a public TV classical music channel.

If it persists, consider speaking with your doctor about an Ambien prescription. But know that it is quite addictive. Barring that, consider some of the herbal remedies for sleeplessness available at good natural supplement stores or facilities.

I remember you often in my prayers.

AMR

Granite

Hall of Fame
Melatonin can help. So can additional exercise. A lot of sleeplessness comes down to an unrested mind, too, but that's the hardest thing in the world to quiet down.

Daniel1611

Melatonin can help. I just wouldn't take it regularly. Also, honestly I usually go to sleep thinking about the Lord or a passage of scripture. It's calming and relaxing to think about the Lord Jesus Christ and the Bible. I am saved by faith, not by my good works, nether am I condemned by my evil works. What good news! I don't mean to sound self righteous, but seriously, just think about the Lord Jesus Christ or about different passages of scripture. It's soothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.