Can't sleep. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

It's always those darned righteous and just who seem to get the best sleep. :juggle:
Try doing a crossword.

Truster

The conscience keeps people awake. There is no peace unto the wicked. The psalmist said that his sleep was sweet and so is the sleep of the just.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The conscience keeps people awake. There is no peace unto the wicked. The psalmist said that his sleep was sweet and so is the sleep of the just.

Yes of course you would say something like this.

I am thinking about my sons murder and wondering if they will ever find who killed him - that tends to keep one awake.

Now say something else nasty. Show everyone what you are.

bybee

Anyone have any suggestions that help you get to sleep when you are having trouble?

Thanks for any help.

Several people that I know have started taking Melatonin as a sleep aid and, so far, they say it is working.
You are, no doubt, aware of the "no caffeine after breakfast" caveat?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Several people that I know have started taking Melatonin as a sleep aid and, so far, they say it is working.
You are, no doubt, aware of the "no caffeine after breakfast" caveat?

Yeah, I was gonna' suggest melatonin, too. One has to experiment with dosage, and.....when you take it, turn out the light and leave it out.

Correct dosages of magnesium and calcium may help, too.

Camomile tea before bed.

Long walk before dusk.

:idunno: I can sleep anywhere, any time. My trouble is waking up! :noid:

PureX

I am thinking about my sons murder and wondering if they will ever find who killed him - that tends to keep one awake.
Try and control what you're thinking about. Invent a pleasant scenario to play through in your mind that has nothing to do with reality, or your son. Or even just try reading before you fall asleep to make your mind think about other things - things that don't matter. The key, I think, is to keep your mind from dwelling on unresolvable fears and frustrations and difficulties.

musterion

I've tried melatonin, it did nothing for me but everyone's chemistry differs. Chamomile was a bit relaxing but that was all.

There's a common herbal whose name escapes me that did help a few times. It was years ago and cannot now recall what it was...valerian? Can't remember.

Protein (even just turkey lunchmeat) almost never fails for me. I know people say it's a myth but it works for me.

Diphenhydramine is dirt cheap and works fine, but consider it a last resort unless you enjoy risking feeling zombified the next morning.

GFR7

Angel: I hope you were only kidding with what you said about what keeps you up at night? :think:

In any case, YES :
Melatonin DOES work
Cammomile tea
Sleepytime tea (available in grocery stores)
Things like Unisom (OTC) but can make you dehydrated or groggy so maybe not the best.

Hope that is of some help. x

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes of course you would say something like this.

Now say something else nasty. Show everyone what you are.

I know how difficult it is to not sit and dwell on your son's death, Angel. It's called being a grieving mother. In all honesty, the person who did this may never be caught. At this point, the best thing you can do is remember the good times and take comfort in the fact that your son knew how much you loved him.

You were a blessing to his life as much as he was a blessing to yours.

As far as the problems sleeping, it looks like some fairly good suggestions have been made.

musterion

Sorry I didn't see this before.

Stand (or lie down) in faith upon Phil 4:6-7. It's all any of us can do. Also, the last line of Gen 18:25.

GFR7

Angel: I am SO sorry to hear what happened to your son.
Grief is a life-long process, and it is made even more burdensome when violence and untimely death are involved.
Please be kind to yourself, and accept my deepest and most sincere best prayers and wishes for you.
There ARE cases where a murderer is caught even after many years- so NEVER give up the quest for justice. Just be kind to yourself while seeking it.
And trust in Jesus.
xx

Anyone have any suggestions that help you get to sleep when you are having trouble?

Thanks for any help.

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain and your sleeping problem. I also have major sleep problems. Exercise and loosing weight helps me more than anything. I'm a huge advocate of getting an aerobic workout every day if possible (except I always take Sundays off).

You would probably know if it's sleep apnea, right? Have you been tested for that?

Krsto

Jogging. A good sweaty workout cleans toxins out of your system. Toxins will keep you up at night. Our bodies also need less sleep because the toxins aren't wearing us out.

I jog 5 miles in one hour twice a week and when I do I need 30 to 45 minutes less sleep per night compared to the winters when I don't jog.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Thanks for any help.

I hope you're sleeping right now, Angel. As always, my thoughts are with you, especially when your thoughts are hard to bear.

One thing that's not supposed to help at all is the blue light from computer screens.

And yet, when I've been awake in the night and lying there reading my phone, I've gotten so drowsy I've

a. dropped the phone on my face

b. if I was typing, I've woken up later to find aaaaaaajjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjffffffffff on the screen.

:chuckle: :eek:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I've been awake in the night and lying there reading my phone, I've gotten so drowsy ... if I was typing, I've woken up later to find aaaaaaajjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjffffffffff on the screen.

Ah, that explains the nonsense you always post.

Status
Not open for further replies.