2015 NBA Playoffs thread

The Berean

Steinbrenner?

Since George Steinbrenner purchased the team in 1973, the Yankees have had the highest winning percentage (.566), the most World Series wins (7), and the most Division Titles (16) of any MLB team.

How did Steinbrenner "make them worse"?

After the Yankees lost the 1964 World Series the team went into a decade long decline. From 1965-67 the Yankees had a losing record. Through 1973 the Yankees were basically a .500 team. Stienbrenner bought the team in January 1973. Stienbrenner is generally credited for bringing the Yankees back to relevance. They reached the World Series in 1976 and won the World Series in 1977 and 1978.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well sure, Lebron is the best player in the league and could probably win every year but it's nice to mix it up. And Curry is a worthy contender for it. He was the best player on the best team in the best conference.
Give it to Curry's daughter. :plain:

MVP of this finals may well be the best guy on the losing team.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Congratulations Warriors !!!!!

Congratulations to Steve Kerr. After winning 5 NBA Championships as a player (3 with Bulls & 2 with Spurs), Kerr won his first NBA Championship as a ROOKIE coach this year.

"What the hell has Steve Kerr done to deserve multiple dabs at the cookie jar? - Stephen A. Smith

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Congratulations Warriors !!!!!

Congratulations to Steve Kerr. After winning 5 NBA Championships as a player (3 with Bulls & 2 with Spurs), Kerr won his first NBA Championship as a ROOKIE coach this year.

"What the hell has Steve Kerr done to deserve multiple dabs at the cookie jar? - Stephen A. Smith

I've always liked Iguodala so I'm glad he got a ring finally.

The Berean

Yeah! You managed to beat 60% of the Cavaliers's starters in only six games!

:think: I wonder if the rings on this one will be to scale.

Too bad LeBron was't named series MVP. He deserved it.

You underrate the Warriors my friend. They were the better team even if the Cavs were at full strength. This Warriors team will get it's due in time I hope. Let's review.

67-15 W-L record
Only 5 teams in NBA history have won more than 67 games.

39-2 W-L home record
Only the 40-1 W-L 1985 Boston Celtics had a better home record.

Double-digit point differential
The Warriors were just the 8th team in NBA history with a double digit point differential. Of the previous seven teams, six won the NBA title. The 7th team (1971-72 Milwaukee Bucks) lost to the LA Lakers who also had a double digit point differential.

Offensive Efficiency
The Warriors were #2 in the NBA in offensive efficiency by 0.1 points.

Defensive Efficiency
The Warriors led he NBA in Defensive Efficiency

The Warriors led the NBA is a slew of other team metrics as well. Given all these facts it's clear that this Warriors team deserves to be mentioned among the greatest single season NBA teams in history. Their NBA title is well deserved. For the Cavs to have won this series even at full strength would have required the greatest upset in NBA finals history or close to it. But in the end the injuries created a talent gap that was far too great even for LeBron James to close.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You underrate the Warriors my friend. They were the better team even if the Cavs were at full strength.
That's not what the eye test was saying. When you're down two starters you're counting on for points and playing bench guys in relief and you take the series to game six, to me it says at full strength you win in as many or fewer.

This Warriors team will get it's due in time I hope.
A skilled team. But if you go by regular season records to mark greatness then the Colts were the team of the decade normally

Let's review.

67-15 W-L record
Only 4 teams in NBA history have won more than 67 games.
One team rebuttal for most of this as a standard: Colts. :plain:

The Warriors led the NBA is a slew of other team metrics as well.
Indianapolis Colts.

Given all these facts it's clear that this Warriors team deserves to be mentioned among the greatest single season NBA teams in history.
Great regular season run. But they almost had to go seven to beat a team minus two of five starters.

Their NBA title is well deserved.
Deserved? Not in my book, though they had a great, great regular season. They were lucky in the finals. I'm not even completely sure they would have won if Irving was healthy and present for it.

For the Cavs to have won this series even at full strength would have required the greatest upset in NBA finals history or close to it.
No one would say that if Love and Kyrie were playing. It would have been an upset, but mostly because of that regular season and not an enormous one.

But in the end the injuries created a talent gap that was far too great even for LeBron James to close.
That I agree with.

The Berean

TH, buddy, what do the Colt have to do with the Warriors or basketball? My previous post pointed out how truly dominant the Warriors were during the regular season. Even if I were not a Warriors fan I would still make the same points. The Warriors regular season performance is easily of the top 10 greatest regular seasons in NBA history. They won 67 games for pete's sake. Only five teams have won more regular season games. Four of those teams won the NBA title and are considered amongt the greatest teams ever. The Warriors won 67 games AND won the NBA title. There's nothing fluky about that. I'm not saying that Warriors are a historical great team just because they won 67 games. That is only part of the reason. But if you look at the 10 teams that won 67 or more games eight won the NBA title and are rightfully considered among the greatest teams in NBA history. The Warriors are part of this group.

I simply cannot agree the Warriors were lucky to win the finals. The Warriors won their four games by 8, 13, 21, and 8 points. Two of their wins were on the road including the 21 point blow out in game 4. They barely lost game 2 by 2 points and if the Warriors would have held on to the ball on a late rebound (can't remember off hand who lost the ball) they would have won game 2 in regulation. They lost game 3 by 6 points with Curry have a HORRIBLE game. The reality is that the Cavs were lucky to even win 2 games. When the Warrior coaches changed up their lineup they ran the Cavs off the floor when it really mattered. This Warriors team is a young team with no NBA finals experience. Some of that inexperience showed during the series but their talent and depth simply won out in the end.

As for the Cavs not being at full strength many of the past great teams had such advantages as well. In the 1989 NBA (Pistons vs Lakers) Byron Scott got injured right before Game 1 missing the entire series. Then Magic Johnson pulled his hamstring in game 1 and missed the rest of the series. The Lakers still played the Piston tough but the Pistons won the series 4-0. Should the Pistons championship be "devalued" because of the unfortunate injuries to two key Lakers players?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TH, buddy, what do the Colt have to do with the Warriors or basketball?

Answer: Peyton Manning.

My previous post pointed out how truly dominant the Warriors were during the regular season.

Yes they were.

I've been following NBA Basketball for many years.

Never have I seen one conference so much better than the other as this year.

Even with Irving and Love, the Cavs maybe get the 7th or 8th seed if they played in the Western Conference.

Considering what the Warriors did, when taken into consideration how good the Western Conference was, the numbers you gave don't do justice for just how good this years Warriors team was.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How did Steinbrenner "make them worse"?

By overpaying free agents that don't contribute to wins.

Buck Showalter. The Yankees got good when George was banned from baseball, and Showalter built the franchise.

NY won one because on of his signees, Reggie Jackson. Reggie turns out to be the most prolific World Series player ever. Not that he wasn't great with Oakland first. And George ran them into the ground with a bunch of million dollar players that are also egomaniacs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TH, buddy, what do the Colt have to do with the Warriors or basketball?
The perception of a team predicated on their regular season dominance was the connection.

My previous post pointed out how truly dominant the Warriors were during the regular season.
Like the Colts for many years.

Even if I were not a Warriors fan I would still make the same points.
I don't doubt it. I'm a Celtics fan, which means I've got a wait...

The Warriors regular season performance is easily of the top 10 greatest regular seasons in NBA history.
I don't think the competition is strong enough to make that case unless you ignore context and just go by the numbers. To my mind that's a bit like ranking all time QBs without noting the rules changes and philosophical shift that made a half dozen people instant Marinos.

I'm not saying they aren't a talented team. They are. I'm not saying that their PG isn't remarkable. He is. But I am saying that if you put them in the Jordan era they wouldn't look that remarkable.

I simply cannot agree the Warriors were lucky to win the finals.
I'd say it's more that Cleveland was ridiculously unlucky.

The Warriors won their four games by 8, 13, 21, and 8 points.
Against a team absent two players good for better than all but one of those margins set against the production of their replacements. One of the 8s was in overtime, which should belong to a team at full strength playing a depleted roster.

They lost game 3 by 6 points with Curry have a HORRIBLE game.
You're not helping your case by noting the league MVP was significantly restricted by a team starting to bench players.

The reality is that the Cavs were lucky to even win 2 games.
A great team takes Cleveland out in a sweep. One player and the two weakest starters behind him left and a team with the kind of success and talent GS has, sporting the league MVP loses two and only looks dominant in one?

When the Warrior coaches changed up their lineup they ran the Cavs off the floor when it really mattered.
No, GS got off to a better start and despite both squads swapping quarters held on for the win against a tired Cleveland.

This Warriors team is a young team with no NBA finals experience. Some of that inexperience showed during the series but their talent and depth simply won out in the end.
You mean won out in the beginning, as in the first quarter. The Cavs traded with them thereafter.

As for the Cavs not being at full strength many of the past great teams had such advantages as well. In the 1989 NBA (Pistons vs Lakers) Byron Scott got injured right before Game 1 missing the entire series. Then Magic Johnson pulled his hamstring in game 1 and missed the rest of the series. The Lakers still played the Piston tough but the Pistons won the series 4-0. Should the Pistons championship be "devalued" because of the unfortunate injuries to two key Lakers players?
You can't compare the talent on those teams with Cleveland, top to bottom. You want to run those rosters? And even so, as you note, the Pistons swept them. As they should have (either) if they wanted to be considered one of the best to run a series.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think the competition is strong enough to make that case unless you ignore context and just go by the numbers.

You're nuts!

The 2014-2015 All NBA Team

1) Stephen Curry
2) Anthony Davis
3) Marc Gasol
4) James Harden
5) LeBron James.

Curry and the Warriors beat Anthony Davis and the Pelicans in round 1

Then they beat Marc Gasol and the Grizzlies in round 2

Then they beat James Harden and the Rockets in round 3

Then they beat LeBron James and the Cavs in round 4

No other team has ever had one of the five All NBA Team players on its team, and then subsequently beat each of the other four players in a row in the postseason.

What competition did Jordan and the Bulls have in the East when they won their championships? The Knicks? Pacers? Not one team from the East during the Bulls run was remotely as good as the teams that finished 2-6 in the Western Conference this year.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're nuts!

The 2014-2015 All NBA Team

1) Stephen Curry
2) Anthony Davis
3) Marc Gasol
4) James Harden
5) LeBron James.

Curry and the Warriors beat Anthony Davis and the Pelicans in round 1

Then they beat Marc Gasol and the Grizzlies in round 2

Then they beat James Harden and the Rockets in round 3
Not a great team in the bunch.

Then they beat LeBron James and the Cavs in round 4
A team missing all but one of its scorers, forty percent of its starters and they needed OT in one and gave up two loses? :plain:

That's not one for the ages. Just one for the sports pages.

What competition did Jordan and the Bulls have in the East when they won their championships? The Knicks? Pacers? Not one team from the East during the Bulls run was remotely as good as the teams that finished 2-6 in the Western Conference this year.
It's supper time, but your isolation gives away the weakness of your approach. I'll happily come back to it.