Town Quixote's

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
If you have devoted your life to Christianity - the only life you know you're going to get - the real loser around here is you.

Just imagine. What if there is no God, and you waste your life, becoming a decent and happy person for nothing?

IMJerusha

If you have devoted your life to Christianity - the only life you know you're going to get - the real loser around here is you.

Just imagine. What if there is no God, and you waste your life, becoming a decent and happy person for nothing?

Whose quote is that Barbie?

Nevermind, I found it:
Its alright. We've kissed and made up. If you have devoted your life to Christianity - the only life you know you're going to get - the real loser around here is you.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Hump Day Gazette

Somehow, the Redskin thread came back to life...sort of...
"N-bomb"? :rolleyes: You can't use the word [redacted n-bomb with a twist]?
It isn't about can't, but about won't. I grew up around many of the sort who were easy with the term, saw the twisted malice that bred it. No, I was brought up by good people and taught the difference between what one might do and what one should do.

:dizzy: Try common sense over studies.
No, I'll take hard facts over people trying to twist some subjective magic to their own purposes.

Black men (aka negros, [redacted obscenity], colored men, African American) play for the team. They don't have a problem with it. Why do you? Why are you preoccupied with skin color?
Said the only one who appears to be...

...The owner of the Redskins says he's not a racist. I believe him.
So do I. That was never the issue.

He need not bow to the hysterical Left. :sozo2:
He's not being asked to. He's being urged to do what someone who means to honor and instead insults a people should do if he means what he says. And you credited him with honesty.

...Tyrants aren't good people.
Neither are bigots or people who are indistinguishable from them in their rhetoric.

...We are one race--the human race.
That further divides into ethnicities, just as we are all Americans with a political opinion but I doubt you'd say that makes you a liberal.

Only juveniles and Leftists :Commie: believe studies
Only those in the wrong fear facts and only those who fear them try to paint them the way you do there. It also runs in kind with people comfortable reproducing that word you were so fearlessly free with behind your shield on anonymity.

While I took note of my entry into the Cub Reporter race (on race of all things)...
And I've got a horse in the race! :)

True, it will likely stand by the gate and eat grass for the remainder, maybe have itself a nice nap...wander over to the bleachers to ham for an apple, but still and all, I'm in it...if not to win it.

Gave GFR a hand in his latest thread on S.Ct. challenges...
I suspected the gays would push and twist SCOTUS' arm.
You mean that the minority opinion of a conservative bench would by its holding require the court to resolve the conflict.

This could quite possibly come back to haunt them; they push aggressively if stalled for even a moment. Patience is a virtue, but in these rainbow times patience herself must beg pardon from aggressiveness. :nono:
My real concern is for you, of course, and how you'll fill your time once that's done. :eek:

Jumped dead into the How To Argue thread with...
O dear. Just some things are really annoying. People who say something means the opposite of what it does, or paraphrasing when it is not necessary. These are the worst crimes on here.
I think the worst crime around here is hyperbole. It's murder. :plain:

Then, following a bit of a short response...
How you didn't make captain of the debate team with these mad skills is anyone's guess...literally. :angrymob:

Then continued with...
...SCOTUS as upholder of tradition would be the greatest contradiction of the mob mentality that one could undergo.
By what reason? Tradition has always had the seat of power, been pushed kicking and screaming into the next thing. Yesterdays holder of traditional values is today's historical misogynist, by way of.

Not to say that there isn't value in any number of traditions. But when we speak of law, that's not sufficient unless the tradition is reasoned and taking the form of precedent by that dividing line.

Please be aware:

I like gays; I've lived with them; I've been in their enclaves as a writer - I have NO problem with gay dogs or gay persons. (except of course lesbians)
Would you let them use your bathroom? And if so, what sort of fellow lets a dog do that? :plain:

But over in another thread someone was attempting to posterize...
Over time I have come to appreciate Town because he can parse a single sentence into endless incomprehensible dribble.
I like Eeset 'cause she oozes sincerity...or something...let's just say she's oozy. Like that stuff they put in little fake plastic garbage cans when some around here were kids. :)

Yeah, when I think of fake, plastic garbage, it's gotta be Eeset. Bless her heart.

Else, if you're on my friends' list I like you. If you aren't I probably either don't or don't know you. Now back to GM's end of the year dinner. :chew:

Tomorrow? Grid walkers, Chicago not so deep dish and someone gets Nangified. :shocked:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Weekend Gazette

So zeke stopped by a thread, doesn't really appear to matter to zeke which, to remind us...
Do you have a birth certificate, Marriage approved by the state, ID, registered cars and house, then shut up because they own you and you're off spring and everything else you think you do.

And programmed you to react in this dual charade that keeps you fighting with the other registered slaves, and last time I checked cattle do what their owners make them by fences or training, and herd them where ever they want.

You are the stupid one along with everyone else who can't grasp that the name in-slaves you, and stuck in the left right illusion like a hamster on a wheel going no where.

Listen to any political speech past or future and they are saying same BS, because they know you idiots keep buying that compost to fertilize you're mind with.
Not to interrupt you standing there with your cigarettes rolled up in your shirt sleeve, but aside from telling everyone how utterly cool and radical you are while hanging out on an internet forum, what's your deal?

I mean, what is it you're trying to accomplish? What's your end game? Or is this it?

While in the morning thread, Tott got it started...
Yo Yo Honey Singh, Yo-Yo Ma, or Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me? :)
Yo yo look Ma, no Johannes... :plain: Morning.

And zeke was back with...
...You could be the first here to take up the challenge, try surviving in you're compact without that legal name, but something tells me you are mostly loyal to the system of this world so I won't hold my breath for you to try that.
Here's the thing...why would I do that again?

Enjoy the hamster wheel.
Unless you can point to an advantage that doesn't reduce to, "I feel great about living under a bridge" I'd have to say that contracts freely entered into that benefit the parties thereto are a pretty good idea and I'm rather enjoying my life as a citizen of the compact.

What's your healthcare plan look like? Does it have dental or is it more Appalachian?

Here's a bit of a longer conversation with AR about method and forum life in the Seriously Knight rending of garments by THall...
...On TOL, we only have prayer and words... And when words fail to persuade, the dispy culture here likes to blame the one not persuaded, and begin personal attacks...
I think that's narrowly true, but not the rule. The closer rule to my mind is that someone comes in to tell everyone where to get off and gets an ear full.

Now the choice is either to respond strongly, early or late, or to choose a different course, as best you see it. Again, I think there's a season for a bit of everything, though some seem stuck in place, methodologically.

Speaking of approach...
...the response I made was by request of "42 members of a youth group,ages 15-18",,,they see the thread as a "back patting party,on the www".
Tell the kids that encouragement and recognition of the good so many bring to one another is itself a good and in service to that sense of family that should exist within the body but is too often subsumed by difference and self righteous distinction.

And Truster was in rare form in the missing link thread...
What you ''believe'' is of no consequence and has no effect on what I know to be the Truth and the Trust.
Let me know when you go down to the water's edge to hold back the tide or build a work so marvelous that generations will look upon it and despair. :poly:

Set out an irenic bit in the What Does TOL Mean to You thread...
What does TOL mean to you?

It's a neighborhood, of sorts. One with odd side streets and rougher parts, but the main boulevard is well lit and warming and most of the people here still wave and welcome you. The public square has its share of squabbles and fist shaking, but no one goes home really hurt. We learn from each other, take from and give to one another, support our fellow in grief and share in moments of joy.

As with neighborhoods, old and valued members not infrequently move on and we miss them. New people arrive to fill our halls with other voices and the old guard begrudgingly stops calling them newbies...eventually. Imperfect, raucous, funny, challenging, frustrating, helpful and almost always open for business.

Make a place for yourself. There's always room for one more and what's not to love about that? :e4e:

And got myself Nangified :shocked:...
Oh, gag me . . .
Your lips to God's ears.

I can only hope this doesn't go viral. :plain:

Before another thread went to the Hero Dogs when SD made an early bid for...
He needs to come before our dog, our spouse, our child, yes.
Oh no. You don't get to out holy the next Holy-Off champion extraordinary in waiting. :nono:

Put her in her place, Truster. Show her who the top dog is...I mean idol...I mean idol buster.
He doesn't ''need'' to come before anything nor anyone...
BAM! You've been Truster-bustered.

Then Delmar upped the ante...
I hate to go all Bob Barker on you, but this is powerful evidence that pet owners should neuter their dogs when they are young. Nothing more.
You want some, Delmar? You got an itch needs scratching? Look out, cause here it comes.
Who is Bob Baker Delmar? And more importantly what would he be ''going''?
:plain: ...bam?

So, Truster-buster may be a bit crazy, but he isn't THAT kind of crazy, eh? :rolleyes:

And zoo noted...
A thread about pets is to Truster as whistling is to a dog.
:) Nice, but Truster-buster doesn't kick up the food chain and you don't have a status badge, look out!

And here he came again...
''You have been weighed in the balance and found wanting''.
And B-B-BAAAMMMM! Just like that...yeah, exactly like that, eh Truster?

And somewhere, Truster wondered...
You think I'm out to impress people?
What are the odds?

While an enraged...well, more enraged zeke, returned with...
...you are a closet bigot TH
You can call a rock cheese but you're just going to break a tooth on it. :rolleyes:

, and a paper and plastic saint.
I see...by which I mean you appear to have lodged that chip on your shoulder in your good eye (assuming the other one is filled with blood).

Tomorrow? The last day of Christmas shopping. Which means I'll be floating about in the sea of dads sitting outside in the car with a book.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Saturday Night Special Gazette

Nodded at the newbie...
...I hope to learn from those in this forum
Well...there's no harm in optimism. :)

and possibly to pass on a few things God has shown me.
Sharing can't be beat, though it has been known to precede a beating around here, so keep a hold of your hat at all times.

In all good things, may the Lord bless us!
A lovely salutation, closing and life philosophy.

Welcome. :D

Then SD showed up in the strangest place...
The name of his team insults no one who isn't easily offended.
Not your call. Unless you're a Borg like collective of Native Americans. But I'm guessing you're not. :plain:

If you believe he's dishonest, present proof.
I actually said I believe him. I was noting you said he was honest too. So both of us have reason to expect him to alter his course of action and do better.

...We are one race--the human race. You divide. :sozo2:
In the sense that distinguishing what's said from what's done can be said to divide the honest from the less so.

:Commie: You have argued for curtailing the owner's speech.
I never have. Not once.

We have freedom of speech in our country. :5020:
We do. I've never believed or written otherwise.

We are free to obey and act mannerly.
If you were well mannered we'd hardly have anything to discuss at all on the point.

THall was back in the police thread...
While theretic continues to
ignore reality
I not only haven't, I've been arguing you need to learn how to do that, instead of conflating the anecdote with the rule.

there are only over 100 officers involved in this misconduct.

"Gilbert called the shooting "probably one of the worst cases of police misconduct" in U.S. history because of the number of police officers involved. More than 100 officers and 60 police cars, including some driven by supervisors, were involved"
Gilbert is the lawyer for the suing family. He isn't an impartial party examining the particular.

Else, involved is a fairly ambiguous word. How? Criminal conspiracy? Tangentially? Knowingly or unknowingly? Crime scene techs doing their jobs? Dispatchers? Who and how we justify that sort of inflammatory is important.

:mock: theretic
I get that's your meat, but there's none on that bone. :e4e:

Decided to do a little of the work for him...
So I decided to start looking at percentages and studies. The Cato Institute released one in 2009 that looked at the averages and found:...

The average national police misconduct rate is estimated to be 834.69 per 100,000 police officers. In 2008 there were an estimated 712,360 state and local law enforcement officers employed in the US for an average of 1 officer for every 231.5 people.​

So the rule appears to be overwhelmingly in favor of good cops doing a dangerous, thankless job.

Now set that against this:
another brick for you the queen of denial....[anecdote omitted]
Because police don't have morality issues, right?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

And there you have a distinction between our approaches.

And SD was back...
...:yawn: You call those who value freedom of speech :5020: who permit themselves to use the term [redacted use of the n-bomb] rather than the n-word :freak: for clarity sake racists? :BRAVO:
Rather, I noted that people who are easy with the term and outside of the race tend to have more issues on the subject than Ebony magazine.

I don't believe statistic over common sense. :hammer:
Right, which is why a long, long time ago you'd have sided with the sun orbiting the earth crowd. And you're just as factually wrong now.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics.” ~ James Payn
Rather, there are liars who misuse statistics, but never fool statisticians.

Then in Truster unloaded in the De Niro thread...
John Wayne was my next example and I'm please that you also saw this. His playing the Roman Centurion in the greatest story ever told was the pits.
It's hard to do much with a single sentence...

Just look at how little you do with more. :plain:

While in the NFL thread Cale inquired on the root of kmo's displeasure with me...
Jinx because [TH] predicted a Chiefs win? Or because he used the words "not a chance"?
The latter.
Well, don't walk under it then. :plain:

Have you no shame??? :sibbie:
No. I had some when I got here this morning but I loaned it to Letsargue. Not sure if I'm getting it back any time soon. :think:

Tomorrow? I go quandary mining, a history lessen (yes, yes I know) and the personality thread takes on one of its own. :plain:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
me. dumb

me. dumb

i went to your profile page and still don't see how to make a friend request. do you have to pay to be a subscriber or join a group ? sorry to bother you but you have been helpful already. thanks

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
i went to your profile page and still don't see how to make a friend request. do you have to pay to be a subscriber or join a group ? sorry to bother you but you have been helpful already. thanks
This site requires tenure of one week and 25 posts to reach registered plus status. You joined on the 21st so you still lack a few days.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"SD dropped by..."
I dropped by.
zacepi1.gif
Alas, no one was home. :sigh:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Turkey Day Gazette

SD dropped by...
...:yawn: I noted that Leftists :Commie: cannot form a sentence without :yawn: an ad hominem attack.
I note your irony, not being a leftist or communist.

:yawn: You believe speech codes should be enforced . :Commie: We do not. :straight:
I believe that rules, like laws, obligate us to behave within their constraints if we take the value associated with them and value personal honor. If you don't, just keep hammering at that envelope. Completely up to you.

:yawn: You believe studies over common sense. I believe common sense over studies.
I believe the verifiable fact over desire, to be sure.

And GFR suggested...
... Having a majority against what I did might give me stern pause.
Most people in the world aren't Christians. Are you paused?

I would certainly be insulted, at the least.
By what? The majority?

While over in the Religion section...
Catholicism is not claiming that Scripture is not divinely inspired, we are just contending to many other Christian denominations ignore far too much contained there-in.

One, not least of which, is given His Church the authority to bind or loose sins.
The authority given to the little flock was not passed on to your corrupt organization.
Sorry. God's call, not yours.

And so, history would later note, began the 30 Threads' War during which nearly two thirds of TOL's attention span perished in a conflagration of enlightenment. :poly:

And in Kat's birthday thread...
Everyone ignored my last birthday too. :p (Not that it bothered me, I'd actually rather remain shadowy and unknown anyway.) :Ninja:
Well, there goes that bet everyone.

Turing test called, 11/2/04

Revisited trust and apostasy...
...As to "my" trust. It's definitional and appropriate and I'd say that I've mostly heard argument against it by people who, taking another route, have fallen from faith.

What is of moment is whether or not it holds up under scrutiny on the point. And I think it rather does.

To accept God is to trust in Him and not in our ability to encompass Him. And the nature of that trust is clear enough:

"But I trusted in you, O LORD: I said, You are my God." Psalms 31:14

God is then the context of our being. "My God" is not a statement of possession but of being possessed. It is not a wan recognition of authority, but a declaration of all that must be real for us to have meaning, the literal context by which we see and understand all that follows. Anything less than that should be unacceptable to the faithful and is a recipe for disaster and heartbreak for the soul genuinely desiring God.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not to your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

That's what I mean when I say place your trust in the object/God and not in your knowledge about and expectations regarding. We are fallible and fight over scraps of understanding. We must then ultimately place our faith in the God who transcends that understanding when it fails us.

Settled up with SD...
Well if there's one thing you should know about:
:yawn: I use the term ni66er not the n-word :freak: when discussing the word.
...Does the n-word replace the term ni66er?
Why do say the n-word? You are referring to the n-term ni66er.
It's not. :mmph: We all know you are referring to the term ni66er.
:yawn: It's hard :sigh: because I live to say ni66er, ni66er, ni66er each day. It's my reason for getting out of bed each day.
I am free to use the term ni66er when we are discussing the cultural meaning of the term ni66er.
I'm always grateful when the day is over when I can sit back, relax and utter my favorite words ni66er ni66er ni66er that I've been withholding all day. My kitty and I put on our matching pointy white hats.

it wouldn't be that. :plain:

And the age old question...

Tomorrow? Mostly sitting around digesting...no the other sort. :plain:

Have a very safe and happy Thanksgiving. :cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Sunday Afternoon Gazette​

Had this to say about argument among friends...
...most friends will think you're daft about any number of things, disagree with you and have their own reasons for doing so any number of times in your life. And frequently those contrary reasons and positions will stand up, even if you find them unpalatable.

So if you're wise you'll nod and listen and if you're unconvinced thank them for their time and move on. And that's about it. Because that's what you do if you respect a person and they hold another understanding. You offer your perspective and everyone goes away with a little more knowledge than they likely had prior. But you have to respect them first and respect them as you do yourself.

They aren't here to advance [your] ideas and I don't require anyone to accept a thing I say as the truth. That would be a foolish, arrogant posture to hold. It's only my perspective on truth as clearly as I can approach it and as honestly as I can advance it. If there's value in it for you, great. If there isn't, that's life for you.

Then Knight gave me pause...
Nobody agrees on everything.
Now that we can all agree on...:think:

Continued to help folks drag a light hearted thread into the dust...
I think part of why people like to put others into categories or boxes is because humans need a point of reference with which to understand something; something familiar that we can measure it by.
Another reason is burial. :plain:

Which would then make me a DeadNonintuitiveunFeelingnotsomuchPerceiving.

While a new member from Missouri continued to show us...
Thank God, peaceful in and around St. Louis for the most part
Well, there go all the "black Friday" jokes and comments Letsargue had saved up...:plain:

Else, good to hear.

Continued to discuss faith and apostasy with Spec...
The point is Town that you hadn’t set out your argument in a formal manner and broken it into its constituent parts.
No, that was zip's, maybe your point, but as I related in my narrative the formula [offered] was incomplete and mistaken in premise and all of it had, in fact, been addressed in my set out which went beyond it.

That's rather the point of the far less formal and generally accessible forum life. You don't need particular training to posit or to understand and follow argument here. I think that's the better idea on the whole.

However, doubt in x isn’t necessarily willful.
How can it be anything else, unless you're of the belief that your cognitions aren't under your control, which strikes me as problematic. The question is upon what is the will predicated. Is it a reasonable response.

If you define x as the God of the Bible, then you would have to define him as a being who is (completely) trustworthy and incapable of causing doubt in a believer. This then becomes a circular argument unless you can demonstrate to some degree that the God of the Bible really is trustworthy.
Rather, the problem is found in your interjection of a mistaken causality in premise, to my mind, that it is God who is the cause of doubt. We cause doubt and that goes back to the why of it.

You have defined this yourself about the God of the Bible even though at no point in the NT does it clearly say that trust is necessary for salvation.
You isolate to the NT, I think, because the whole cloth gives you problems on the point. Yet when you want to justify doubt you rush back to take in the OT... I've set out the necessity of trust to the point of command prior, gave a couple of OT scriptural references to it. And I've noted the logical necessity of it where love is included. To add to that latter point from the NT:

25...Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. Luke 10: 25-27​

So we must love God with our whole heart and mind. And what is it that love demands? Among a number of things we learn of love in 1 Corinthian is that it bears, believes and hopes all things and that it endures all things. If I believe in God I must love God and I cannot love God unless I trust God. In fact, trusting in His delivering me from my sin and in His authority is the beginning of the Christian walk.

Matthew Henry has it, in part: "This love is a clear proof of regeneration, and is a touchstone of our professed faith in Christ."

I would agree with this because nothing cannot do anything. So what?
So I'm being thorough. God cannot fail you within the Christian context and is incapable outside of it. So the failure is then, in any context, our own.

And if you’re saying that being humble before God doesn’t necessarily mean you should be humble before ALL people then I agree,
No, I'm saying it doesn't follow that you will be. Should be? Yes, humility is one reason I find Psalmist's walk a daunting and inspirational one. I'm not in his zip code yet, though God willing and time allowing...everyone has a dream. :)

Said to a tiger fan (no, the next one)...

Tomorrow? As today, Roll Tide!
:eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Gazette Bonus (a chatroom extra):

[Yesterday 10:39 AM] bybee: Face Book removed my post about Muslims. It wasn't nice. And we know how nice Muslims are....

[Yesterday 10:09 PM] Town Heretic X: Maybe a dingo ate your post, bybee...

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Gazette Bonus (a chatroom extra):

[Yesterday 10:39 AM] bybee: Face Book removed my post about Muslims. It wasn't nice. And we know how nice Muslims are....

[Yesterday 10:09 PM] Town Heretic X: Maybe a dingo ate your post, bybee...

Wow...And it took you less than 12 hours to come up with that?