What's so Great about where You Live???

Lon

Tacoma WA
View attachment 25629View attachment 25636View attachment 25634View attachment 25635

The second largest city park in the U.S. See here for a pictorial page.
A large zoo and aquarium as well as a view of the Narrows Bridge and settled on a peninsula it has a lot of beach access. In the park, deer, seals, sea lions, sea otters, river otters, Dahl porpoise, orca, great blue heron and bald eagles run, swim, and/or fly freely. View attachment 25628View attachment 25630View attachment 25631View attachment 25632View attachment 25633

Along the waterway there are 3 marinas where Tacoma hosted the tall ship festival. There is a waterfront movie theater as well as quality restaurants and a hotel that sits on top of piers over the water.

Lon

I can see the waterfront from my house, but would have to chop down a couple of trees in the neighbor's yards to see it well. Because I live so close to the park, we have raccoons, deer, a lot of birds, and even an occasional bear come into the suburbs here.

Feel free to come up with a neat page about a few things in your home town or post a few links about it.

You can also post some of your pictures. Town Heretic and EaglesWings both posted pictures of places in and around their cities and I enjoyed them so thought a thread where we can see them all in one place would be great. Enjoy the thread and please share the beauty of your area. -Lon

Jerry Shugart

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
167de96d9de536c37860180dc99851f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I live in the city of San Luis Potosi in Mexico. The altitude is 6,000 feet and the weather is gorgeous year round. The movie "The Legend of Zorro" was filmed here and in the links below you can see some of the locations used for the film:

http://www.marylandpinkandgreen.com/2010/06/where-zorro-was-filmed.html

http://homepages.vodafone.co.nz/~kimsin2/pages/news_pages/zorro.html

At this link you can see some pics of the city:

https://www.bestday.com/San_Luis_Potosi/Attractions/
I live in the city of St. Louis where the Gateway Arch is. Parts of many movies were filmed here, including Planes Trains and Automobiles, National Lampoon's Vacation, Escape from New York and White Palace. Look up pics yourself

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days or so. But, I absolutely love where I live. Osgood is a small town of about 2500 people. I actually live outside town, about five miles. Across the street from me is an old girl scout camp with woods and a creek. There are also woods behind my house. On the other two sides of my house are fields. The last five years, my neighbor has planted soy beans. I'm hoping that, this year, he grows corn. The houses on my road are about 1/4 mile apart from each other. But, we're a pretty close community. We all help each other out when we notice that we need it. I have one neighbor who mows my lawn whenever my nephew "forgets" to do it. I have another neighbor who, knowing I'm a widow, will drop off a grocery bag of either frozen beef or venison on my porch. And, the other neighbor that I'm close to shares her garden produce with me. We have a herd of deer and a flock of turkeys that will cross through my yard going from one stretch of woods to the other. And, I have another neighbor who brings me my firewood every winter for half the price he charges everyone else.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days or so. But, I absolutely love where I live. Osgood is a small town of about 2500 people. I actually live outside town, about five miles. Across the street from me is an old girl scout camp with woods and a creek. There are also woods behind my house. On the other two sides of my house are fields. The last five years, my neighbor has planted soy beans. I'm hoping that, this year, he grows corn. The houses on my road are about 1/4 mile apart from each other. But, we're a pretty close community. We all help each other out when we notice that we need it. I have one neighbor who mows my lawn whenever my nephew "forgets" to do it. I have another neighbor who, knowing I'm a widow, will drop off a grocery bag of either frozen beef or venison on my porch. And, the other neighbor that I'm close to shares her garden produce with me. We have a herd of deer and a flock of turkeys that will cross through my yard going from one stretch of woods to the other. And, I have another neighbor who brings me my firewood every winter for half the price he charges everyone else.
Sounds like a fine place to live

Lon

We have had a few movies shot from Tacoma WA
10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
Battleground (1949)
Black Circle Boys (1997)
Born to be Wild (1995)
Chips, the War Dog (1990)
Come See the Paradise (1990)
The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer (2003)
Enough (2002)
Get Carter (2000)
The Hand that Rocks the Cradle (1992)
I Love You to Death (1990)
View attachment 25644
Prefontaine (1997)
Preston Tylk (2000)
Stephen King's Rose Red (2002)
Three Fugitives (1989)
To Hell And Back (1955)
Say Anything (1989)
Waiting for the Light (1990)
War Games (1983)

-I worked on a few of the sets for "I Love You to Death." I was in construction at the time doing flooring.

Famous people from Tacoma
View attachment 25645
Bing Crosby and his brother Bob Crosby
A crooner in his own right, lived in this house.
It says so on the plaque on the steps :)
Here is an informative pinterest page on the subject of Washington State

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I live within an hour's drive of the white sands of Gulf Shores. A little more time and I'm in Monroeville, the home of To Kill a Mockingbird. A couple of hours or so and I'm in New Orleans. All of this access while being nestled in a little country community where the same principle families that constitute our neighbors have resided for generations.

What's not to love?

For some reason my attempts to upoad photos are failing here so that will have to wait, I suppose. :idunno:

Reactions: Lon