weekly weigh in

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Because squatting is the single exercise that engages the most musculature:

Load the bar on the rack with the hooks set as high as possible, while still allowing you to stand up, even a hair, with the bar on your shoulders (no tip-toes). Load the bar with as much weight as you have, or as much as will fit secured safely on the bar. Get under the bar and try to stand up. Even if you can't move the thing, but only can bend the bar a little bit, you will learn, after trying with all your might repeatedly, how to align your body, from the placement of your feet all the way up your legs and through your hips and in your back, to lift the greatest weight possible, if it is possible to do it. Even when it's not possible to do it, you will still learn how to align your body to be maximally strong.

This is easy for your body to learn how to do. It's very clear. Stand up under all that weight. Your body gets that. There's no possibility for misunderstanding, and if it is possible for your body to do it, it will do it. You can tell when you're within shooting distance because the bar will bend a little more and more as you get closer to being able to budge it. Every mil (one thousandth of an inch) counts.

If you can stand up, lower the hooks one click and try again. Keep lowering the hooks, and keep standing up under that weight, or trying to, with all your might, and do it regularly, repeatedly. You will learn, and your body will remember how to align itself in order to lift as much weight as you possibly can.

Bear in mind that it is your responsibility to make sure that if anything falls, the weight falls back on the hooks. You have to do that. So standing up and falling over backward is not a successful lift.

john w

Hall of Fame
356 lbs....Too much eggnog, and too many Mr. Cookie Bars, over "the holidays." Went to the dentist, however, and now I am only missing 4 teeth.

john w

Hall of Fame
Oh sure!!!

You are still 172.222 lbs, just like when you were a senior at Mayberry High School.

You keep it up, Mayor, and I am going to put a "Big Freeze" on that septic tank that I ordered for you on Ebay, on for your 38.222 birthday. The Big Freeze, fella....