Watch out!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
$1000? That's expensive. I had a tree service come out here to cut down a tree (same reason as you gave) and they charged me $350.

I am just glad it's gone. Now I am working on getting rid of an even larger one in the back of the house.

My nephew (who just moved back to Nebraska) has a friend whose father owns the equipment necessary to get it down safely. I am just waiting for spring ... and the price will be $250.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Definitely. Though FTR, the gentleman who cut down my tree had been doing this for many years, though not professionally.

I have another one in the back of the house, and due to cable and electrical lines, he advised me to contact the city.

Your electric company should send out a crew to either trim it or cut it down for free. Mine did. They asked me if I wanted it trimmed or cut down (I chose to have it cut down) and they did it for me. Asked if I wanted the logs or if I wanted them to shave it down for mulch (I chose logs, because I have a wood stove) or if I just wanted them to haul it away. If I need it done again, I will have them shave down the next one for mulch for my garden. :)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your electric company should send out a crew to either trim it or cut it down for free. Mine did. They asked me if I wanted it trimmed or cut down (I chose to have it cut down) and they did it for me. Asked if I wanted the logs or if I wanted them to shave it down for mulch (I chose logs, because I have a wood stove) or if I just wanted them to haul it away. If I need it done again, I will have them shave down the next one for mulch for my garden. :)

Well, I did actually call them, and their response was that it was my responsibility. Unfortunately, I live in a small town, and the electric company isn't exactly helpful.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can ya' get Direct TV now?

Unfortunately no. There is a large tree in the neighbor's yard that would still be blocking my view. I am pretty sure they wouldn't appreciate it if I had their tree cut down. :shocked:

My choice is cable or Dish.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Heating system went out for the house.
Called a repair man and he said the unit was shot and would have to be replaced.
:shocked:

An old neighbor stopped by and looked at it.
He fixed it with a $152 sensor.

I don't know if the repair man just didn't know what he was doing, or if he was trying to rip us off.

So now I am a firm believer in getting a second opinion.

Thank God for old neighbors :up:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Was it the sensor that detects the flame (assuming gas system)?

My furnace quit working a few years back and they replaced this sensor (~$200 with labor).

Then I found out that this sense gets weird after a few years and the trick was just this simple:
Pull it out and scrape it gently something like a screwdriver or metal knife-blade (or even a little light sandpaper). Then put it back in and it'll be fine for a few more years.
I've done it a couple of times since it was replaced and it works great each time.
That sounds like what it was. He said the sensor had a charred spot on it.
He put in a new one and presto .... it worked fine.

The first repair guy that came was from a reputable service.
But he looked so young --- early 20s.
I'm not sure if he was just inexperienced, or was really trying to rip us off.
But I am real thankful we got another opinion before shopping for a new unit.
Whew!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, I did actually call them, and their response was that it was my responsibility. Unfortunately, I live in a small town, and the electric company isn't exactly helpful.

I live in a small town, too (population of 2500). My electric company is really good about cutting down trees that are close to wires though. Might be because instead of customers, they consider us members of the electric co-op.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank God for old neighbors :up:
Ain't that the truth!
We were about to go to WalMart and buy a few little heaters to place in the rooms till we could get a new unit.
So, not only were we grateful that it was something so simple to fix, and he saved us the expense of the little room heaters too.
In this weather it didn't take long for the whole house to get cold.
Brrr!

Right Divider

Body part
That sounds like what it was. He said the sensor had a charred spot on it.
He put in a new one and presto .... it worked fine.

The first repair guy that came was from a reputable service.
But he looked so young --- early 20s.
I'm not sure if he was just inexperienced, or was really trying to rip us off.
But I am real thankful we got another opinion before shopping for a new unit.
Whew!
Cool. Next time you have trouble just pull it out and rough it up a bit, then put it back in. I've done it several times.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love those old neighbors. :thumb:

I have one living here that all our friends come to when anything breaks down. The only thing he can't fix is computers. :sigh:
Me too.
Our neighborhood depends on each other and are always doing favors for each other.
It makes such a big difference to have close knit neighbors.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cool. Next time you have trouble just pull it out and rough it up a bit, then put it back in. I've done it several times.
I would if I knew what it looked like and where it goes.
The unit was in a closet and he was telling me what all he was doing, but I couldn't see what he was doing.
But he told my son about it when he got home, so he now knows.

If it happens again when I'm the only one home, I may have to holler at you to walk me through it!!!!