Watch out!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Heating system went out for the house.
Called a repair man and he said the unit was shot and would have to be replaced.
:shocked:

An old neighbor stopped by and looked at it.
He fixed it with a $152 sensor.

I don't know if the repair man just didn't know what he was doing, or if he was trying to rip us off.

So now I am a firm believer in getting a second opinion.

bybee

Called a repair man and he said the unit was shot and would have to be replaced.

I don't know if the repair man just didn't know what he was doing, or if he was trying to rip us off.

Yup! I had a clock repairman tell me the mechanism in my grandfather's clock was shot. He insisted on taking it out of the clock and he would replace it with a new one. I insisted right back that he would do no such thing! That was about 15 years ago. The clock still ticks like a top!

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Always. I had the similar situation with a tree in my front yard that was rotting away and a danger to my home because of it's location and size. A tree disposal company gave me an estimate of over $1000 to cut it down. My daughter's brother in law cut it down for a pizza and twelve pack.

Same situation with my computer: Dell, $261 for repair. My computer repairman, $100.

Oh, in regards to the tree ... he didn't get the twelve pack until AFTER the tree was cut down.

glorydaz

I love those old neighbors. :thumb:

I have one living here that all our friends come to when anything breaks down. The only thing he can't fix is computers. :sigh:

SaulToPaul 2

I came home from work yesterday to a freezing house as well.
I think my guy was honest, he got it running again for $199.

achduke

Always. I had the similar situation with a tree in my front yard that was rotting away and a danger to my home because of it's location and size. A tree disposal company gave me an estimate of over $1000 to cut it down. My daughter's brother in law cut it down for a pizza and twelve pack.

The problem with cutting down your own tree is if it would have hurt someone or destroyed someone's property you could be held liable. Tree companies should have insurance.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

$1000? That's expensive. I had a tree service come out here to cut down a tree (same reason as you gave) and they charged me $350.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

My plumber has electrical, HVAC, plumbers, and fireplace men. I always get good prices from them and they will take payments from me if I don't have the whole amount (plus, they're only ten miles from my house).

PureX

Tree removal can be tricky, and it can be a lot of work if the tree is large and difficult to get out once cut down. So prices do tend to vary widely depending on the situation.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The problem with cutting down your own tree is if it would have hurt someone or destroyed someone's property you could be held liable. Tree companies should have insurance.

Definitely. Though FTR, the gentleman who cut down my tree had been doing this for many years, though not professionally.

I have another one in the back of the house, and due to cable and electrical lines, he advised me to contact the city.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tree removal can be tricky, and it can be a lot of work if the tree is large and difficult to get out once cut down. So prices do tend to vary widely depending on the situation.

This was a HUGE tree ... which made for some rather happy individuals who live close by. There was a lot of free firewood.

Right Divider

Body part

Was it the sensor that detects the flame (assuming gas system)?

My furnace quit working a few years back and they replaced this sensor (~$200 with labor).

Then I found out that this sense gets weird after a few years and the trick was just this simple:
Pull it out and scrape it gently something like a screwdriver or metal knife-blade (or even a little light sandpaper). Then put it back in and it'll be fine for a few more years.
I've done it a couple of times since it was replaced and it works great each time.