Toxicity

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm slightly disappointed that I have come across so much toxicity , mockery and trickery as a new member.
I have joined this site because I am curious , exploring and want to become more committed to God , but I find it really off-putting when some quite a few people seem to find it a joke or some kind of interview that I need to pass. I don't enjoy elitism and think we should treat each other as equals.
I'm just saying this because if this is the way new members usually get treated you are going to scare a lot away.:allsmile:

I suspect the "Other" you have claimed lies at the root of the matter. Not a few of those with such a designation have proven themselves to be beyond the bounds with respect to Christian orthodoxy. Your proclivities to the non-canonical and Gnostic Thomas materials does seem to be a hint. If, as you stated elsewhere, you are seeking greater instruction from Scripture, then focus on the canonical books of the Bible, for therein you will find all the teachings needed in your walk of faith.

Also, why not start by explaining what it is about your views that causes you to declare yourself "Other" than orthodox Christianity and see where the discussion goes? Just a thought.

For example, what are your views on the following:

1. the Trinity

2. the full deity and humanity of Christ

3. the spiritual lostness of the human race

4. the substitutionary atonement and bodily resurrection of Christ

5. salvation by faith alone in Christ alone

6. assurance of eternal security of your salvation

7. the physical return of Christ

8. the authority and inerrancy of Scripture

I am genuinely looking forward to your responses.

AMR

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know from arguing with them that they accept it, and believe it should be legal.
Yep. That's their stance.

It ain't mine.

They think I'm a closet homosexual because I post against it so much. They cannot believe I would truly hold that opinion.
You can state plainly that you are not a closet homosexual right now.

And BTW, can a homo be a Christian?
My answer is yes.

When I came on TOL I thought it was a Christian forum, so it stunned me. I know better now.
It is a Christian forum, but not all that participate are Christians.

When you joined to express views, did you only want Christians to answer? Or are your views open to secular opinion as well?

GFR7

Tambora said:
Yep. That's their stance.

It ain't mine.
To your credit.

You can state plainly that you are not a closet homosexual right now.

And BTW, can a homo be a Christian?
My answer is yes.
I know that I am not.

I guess they can. It depends.

It is a Christian forum, but not all that participate are Christians.

When you joined to express views, did you only want Christians to answer? Or are your views open to secular opinion as well?
I already know how seculars feel.

I was hoping for Christians to respond, who are as concerned as I am.

Some very intelligent ones have, like Musterion, CL, Rez, and a few others.

Was not expecting pro-gay marriage feminists to be on this forum; no, absolutely not.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Likewise.

I DO. I own every word that comes off the tips of my fingers. I don't play word games. I don't apologize and say "Oh, I didn't mean you".

IF I disagree about something, the person will know it. My overall attitude is reflected on what you have put out here.

GFR7

I DO. I own every word that comes off the tips of my fingers. I don't play word games. I don't apologize and say "Oh, I didn't mean you".

IF I disagree about something, the person will know it. My overall attitude is reflected on what you have put out here.
I don't play word games, except in cases where it is therapeutic, as with Karl. I stand by my posts.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't play word games, except in cases where it is therapeutic, as with Karl. I stand by my posts.

Actually you do ... and I don't know who Karl is ... and that is an issue. Your posts are ... toxic.

There are so many more important issues on TOL. Child abuse and abortion come to mind.

GFR7

@Rusha:
My posts are toxic to YOU.

I get many posters giving me positive reps, and thanking me for my threads and my posts.

YOU think my posts are toxic. You should word it thusly, "Gianfranco, I think your posts are toxic."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Says you. I disagree heartily.
I say you are paranoid on that regard.

Karl is aCultureWarrior.

My paranoia is present by the umpteen number of threads I start over my pet issues.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
6. assurance of eternal security of your salvation

I don't subscribe to the once saved always saved theory.

This is my favorite scripture against that idea.

Then Joseph her husband, being a just man and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
(Matthew 1:19)​

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess they can. It depends.
Does it depend on their flesh body stopping all sin?
That would be by merit, not by grace.

Was not expecting pro-gay marriage feminists to be on this forum; no, absolutely not.
Now you know.

I, on the other hand, don't care at all for the feminist agenda.
I'm against it.
But, can one be a feminist and be a Christian?
My answer is yes.
It's the right answer for those that hold to OSAS.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They think I'm a closet homosexual because I post against it so much.

Completely bogus. That's absolutely untrue, I've never said anything of the kind, nor have I implied it.

Nor do I recall Rusha saying anything of the kind either.

PureX

With all sincerity, I'm wary of you Elo. I'll answer your question but I doubt it will be sufficient.

I stay with the Church because it's all I've ever known, but I've been struggling with my faith for quite a while now.

My life is in turmoil at the moment and it's part of my life and it's in turmoil too.
I don't know many Catholics that agree entirely with the positions of the Catholic Church. Yet they remain practicing Catholics because they still find that connection with God that they want and need through their participation with that Church.

Makes sense to me. I don't share their position, but I can certainly understand it.

Thomas Merton was brought into the Church through the architecture, of all things. So I guess God speaks to us in all kinds of ways, and through all different kinds of churches. Why should we turn away from that sweet voice just because we disagree with some of the religious tenets?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I don't know many Catholics that agree entirely with the positions of the Catholic Church. Yet they remain practicing Catholics because they still find that connection with God that they want and need through their participation with that Church.

Makes sense to me. I don't share their position, but I can certainly understand it.

Thomas Merton was brought into the Church through the architecture, of all things. So I guess God speaks to us in all kinds of ways, and through all different kinds of churches. Why should we turn away from that sweet voice just because we disagree with some of the religious tenets?

Thank you, PureX.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
should same sex marriage be legal?

I already answered the question.

answer it again

I already answered that same sex marriage should be legal.

What's the matter, Chrys ... were you having difficulty scrolling down? :plain:

do you think same sex marriage should be legal?

YES. I do..

so why is it so hard to clearly answer the question?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Completely bogus. That's absolutely untrue, I've never said anything of the kind, nor have I implied it.

Nor do I recall Rusha saying anything of the kind either.

I didn't say anything of the kind. It's his "let's lay every problem known to mankind at the feet of women" agenda.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Figures you had to borrow words from me...

Stop tazing me bro'. :freak:

sfi_raygun.gif