toldailytopic: Who are the most overrated and overpaid athletes of all-time?

The Berean

. . . at the time he was the highest paid athlete in history (football at least) . . . what did Tampa Bay get for their money? . . . a QB with a rating of about 70.

But that makes him the overpaid but not overrated. Vinny was never considered a great QB by anyone though he did have a long career. He made two Pro Bowls late in his career and ended up with some rather nice career passing numbers. He's 7th all-times in passing yards and 7th in passes completed.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As you probably already know, Granite, the baseball salary structure is silly.

Baseball is the one team sport where salary should be stat driven. Golf already is, but it isn't a team sport. You get a certain amount of dollars for RBI, then hits, then home runs, etc etc. And it is weighted towards usefullness. For example, before Prince Fielder was fat man Cecil. He had 50 homeruns, yet should have had near 150 RBI's, and didn't. He hit homeruns when nobody was in scoring position.

Silent Hunter

But that makes him the overpaid but not overrated. Vinny was never considered a great QB by anyone though he did have a long career. He made two Pro Bowls late in his career and ended up with some rather nice career passing numbers. He's 7th all-times in passing yards and 7th in passes completed.
. . . you can get that after 20+ years.

. . . 275 TDs
. . . 267 INTs
. . . one decent year . . . 1998.

. . . he never lived up to his hype.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 20th, 2011 08:39 AM

toldailytopic: Who are the most overrated and overpaid athletes of all-time?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

T.O. :vomit:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you get Bronco fans involved with the greatest, then Elway. He is an all time great NFL player, but not the greatest and shouldn't be mentioned with the others. I don't blame Bronco fans. Who isn't a homer...

The Berean

Baseball is the one team sport where salary should be stat driven. Golf already is, but it isn't a team sport. You get a certain amount of dollars for RBI, then hits, then home runs, etc etc. And it is weighted towards usefullness.
This is one problem with this system. Players who play in hitter's ballparks will have a huge advantage. Also, stats like RBI are team dependent. A cleanup man for the Yankees will have far more RBI than the cleanup hitter for the San Diego Padres.

For example, before Prince Fielder was fat man Cecil. He had 50 homeruns, yet should have had near 150 RBI's, and didn't. He hit homeruns when nobody was in scoring position.

Again RBI are team dependent. A 150 RBI season is extremely rare. Since 1960 there have been just eight 150 RBI seasons. As for Cecil Fielder when he hit 51 HRs in 1990 he led the American League with 132 RBI.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is one problem with this system. Players who play in hitter's ballparks will have a huge advantage. Also, stats like RBI are team dependent. A cleanup man for the Yankees will have far more RBI than the cleanup hitter for the San Diego Padres.

Then they have incentive to spend more time getting better.

It has been a long time since I was watching Cecil. I don't remember him getting it done. Maybe he had a late season boost. But that is what I mean. He finished the year productive.

I remember the roster full of "power hitters" like Rob Deer. And I could have been thinking of the Tigers in general. Deer had 32 home runs, and 64 RBI's in 1992(as I go back to baseball-refrence.com). Which is also what I mean. He didn't get it done.

The Berean

Then they have incentive to spend more time getting better.
I'm not sure what this means?
It has been a long time since I was watching Cecil. I don't remember him getting it done. Maybe he had a late season boost. But that is what I mean. He finished the year productive.
Cecil Fielder led the American League in RBI three years in row (in fact he led the majors three years in a row). He is one of just two plyaers to lead the league in RBI three years in row since 1938. So in terms of RBI's Fielder was getting it done. I don't use RBI in evaluating players since they are highly team dependent.

I remember the roster full of "power hitters" like Rob Deer. And I could have been thinking of the Tigers in general. Deer had 32 home runs, and 64 RBI's in 1992(as I go back to baseball-refrence.com). Which is also what I mean. He didn't get it done.
Well. Deer was an extremely poor contact hitter. He had a hard time getting his batting average over .200. That kind of hitter will never have large RBI totals. Deer often hit down in the lineup anyway.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Dice-K in Boston--the man never lived up to the hype at all, and was cringe-worthy even at his best.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not sure what this means?

Baseball is a team sport, driven by individual plays. They should be paid based on productivity, just like Golf.

Cecil Fielder led the American League in RBI three years in row (in fact he led the majors three years in a row). He is one of just two plyaers to lead the league in RBI three years in row since 1938. So in terms of RBI's Fielder was getting it done. I don't use RBI in evaluating players since they are highly team dependent.

I agree, and he should get paid for his productivity.

Well. Deer was an extremely poor contact hitter. He had a hard time getting his batting average over .200. That kind of hitter will never have large RBI totals. Deer often hit down in the lineup anyway.

He struck out a lot when Detroit needed a hit. He shouldn't get paid because he took steroids to hit the ball further. I was thinking of the Tigers in general during that time, and Fielder came to mind. When it was Deer that was awful at a time when hitting 30 home runs wasn't awful.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vinny had talent. You can play along time without being decent (productive) if you have talent.

The Berean

Baseball is a team sport, driven by individual plays. They should be paid based on productivity, just like Gold.
Players are generally paid based on their productivity or at least the assumption that a player will continue to be productive. . Alex Rodriguez gets paid mope than Juan Pierre for example.

I agree, and he should get paid for his productivity.
I agree. Cecil did get paid quite nicely.

He struck out a lot when Detroit needed a hit. He shouldn't get paid because he took steroids to hit the ball further. I was thinking of the Tigers in general during that time, and Fielder came to mind. When it was Deer that was awful at a time when hitting 30 home runs wasn't awful.
Deer was a very poor contact hitter. This was a major flaw in his hitting. He had a difficult time keeping his batting average over .200. Strikeouts are not a huge deal if a hitter does other things well when not striking out. Shoot that entire Tigers team struck out a large number of times. But they had a very productive offense. They struck out a lot but they did two things that create runs: hit HRs and draw a huge number of walks. A team that hits lots of HRs and draw a huge number of walks will scores many, many runs.

Strikeouts in themselves are not really a bad thing. Shoot, Babe Ruth led the league in strikeouts five times in his career and retired as the all-time leader in strikeouts.