toldailytopic: Who are the most overrated and overpaid athletes of all-time?

The Berean

The problem that Vinny had was that he wasn't the "sharpest tool in the shed". He had great difficulty reading defenses. This showed in college as well. When Penn State beat Miami in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl Joe Paterno used all kinds of usual defensive schemes to confuse Vinny. It worked. Penn State beat Miami 14-10. That 1986 Miami team outscored their opponents 420-136. They averaged 38 points per game but managed just 10 point against the Penn State defense.

The Berean

. . . in other words . . . he didn't live up to the hype . . .

. . . or more simply . . .

. . . over-hyped = over-rated . . . :thumb:.

:nono: over-hyped /= over-rated

"Overrated" means that some people considered Vinny a player NFL player than he actually was. Since Vinny got off to a slow start in his NFL career he was never considered a great QB, thus he was never "overrated". In the late 1990's Vinny actually became a solid QB.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Deer was a very poor contact hitter. This was a major flaw in his hitting. He had a difficult time keeping his batting average over .200.

Well, the world needs ditch diggers too. I know you see my point. In baseball they have guaranteed money. The NFL for a long time didn't, and it showed. A players contract could get renogiated or just cut. In baseball, you have to trade his huge salary.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When Penn State beat Miami in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl Joe Paterno used all kinds of usual defensive schemes to confuse Vinny. It worked.

You can't out fox somebody that has seen it all, 3 times over. Well, there are people in the slow learners group, so I take it back.

The Berean

Well, the world needs ditch diggers too. I know you see my point. In baseball they have guaranteed money. The NFL for a long time didn't, and it showed. A players contract could get renogiated or just cut. In baseball, you have to trade his huge salary.
That's a major flaw in baseball. The Giants are stuck paying Barry Zito his $126 million contract. If the cut him they still have to pay him. :down:

Silent Hunter

over-hyped /= over-rated
. . . everyone posting this thread disagrees with you then I think since they nearly to a person equate the two . . .

"Overrated" means that some people considered Vinny a player NFL player than he actually was.
. . . he was (over-rated) . . . he had just enough talent to stay employed in the sport.

Since Vinny got off to a slow start in his NFL career he was never considered a great QB, thus he was never "overrated".
. . . ok . . . over-paid then . . . staying within the confines of the OP.

In the late 1990's Vinny actually became a solid QB.
. . . not really . . . unless you want to count one good season as "solid".

The Berean

. . . everyone posting this thread disagrees with you then I think since they nearly to a person equate the two . . .
Who is everyone? It's just you.

. . . he was (over-rated) . . . he had just enough talent to stay employed in the sport.
Vinny was highly rated coming out of college because of hsi success in college. But his college skills didn't translate as well. Yet he adapted enough to last 20 years in the NFL. A 20 year NFL career is extremely rare.

. . . ok . . . over-paid then . . . staying within the confines of the OP.
:up:

. . . not really . . . unless you want to count one good season as "solid".
You need to look at his record again.

1995: 17 TD, 10 INT, 2,883 yds, 87.8 rating (12 games)
1996: 33 TD, 19 INT, 4,177 yds, 88.7 rating
1998: 29 TD, 7 INT, 3,256 yds, 101.6 rating

Silent Hunter

Who is everyone? It's just you.
. . . keep telling yourself that . . . :e4e:.

Vinny was highly rated coming out of college because of hsi success in college. But his college skills didn't translate as well.
. . . that tends to be the pattern for over-rated players.

Yet he adapted enough to last 20 years in the NFL. A 20 year NFL career is extremely rare.
. . . very true . . . and evidence for "he had just enough talent to stay employed in the sport".

You need to look at his record again.

1995: 17 TD, 10 INT, 2,883 yds, 87.8 rating (12 games)
1996: 33 TD, 19 INT, 4,177 yds, 88.7 rating
1998: 29 TD, 7 INT, 3,256 yds, 101.6 rating
. . . have it your way . . . one good season and two so-so seasons . . . hardly qualifies as "solid" though . . . :plain:.

The Berean

. . . keep telling yourself that . . . :e4e:.
Actually, I keep telling myself, "Silent Hunter is so wrong..." :p

. . . that tends to be the pattern for over-rated players.
Ok.

. . . very true . . . and evidence for "he had just enough talent to stay employed in the sport".
Ok.

. . . have it your way . . . one good season and two so-so seasons . . . :plain:.

Thank you, I will have it my way. :p Those are three solid seasons.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:nono: over-hyped /= over-rated

"Overrated" means that some people considered Vinny a player NFL player than he actually was. Since Vinny got off to a slow start in his NFL career he was never considered a great QB, thus he was never "overrated". In the late 1990's Vinny actually became a solid QB.

Words have meaning. :thumb:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cal Ripken. Hugely overrated mediocre player. His lifetime average is only .276 because he had many mediocre seasons, in his prime. His two MVP seasons are not stellar by any sense of the imagination. Sort of like Bob Griese and his 67 yards passing in a Superbowl win.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cal Ripken. Hugely overrated mediocre player. His lifetime average is only .276 because he had many mediocre seasons, in his prime. His two MVP seasons are not stellar by any sense of the imagination. Sort of like Bob Griese and his 67 yards passing in a Superbowl win.

Bump for The Berean.