toldailytopic: What were your favorite childhood toys and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Did any of you play cowboys and indian's? I had a really nice six shooter cap gun it was called "Long Tom, they had white grips on the handle, and a long barrel; I also had a Marx 25" Winchester '74 cap rifle that was really neat. I never did have a BB gun though.

Copies of the cap guns I had.
Long Tom and Marx Winchester

Those old cowboy gun rigs were really neat even when I was a kid in the 70's. Would be great to have some of those old sets. Me and my bro leaned toward sci fi, and the little snubby double action cap-ring guns were about as old school as we liked. I wish I could go back and talk to 10yr old v45, I'd tell me to grab up all the cool cowboy gun rigs and leave them in the boxes. :)

We had BB guns, we never shot our eye out, but we did some stuff we shouldnt have. With right supervision tho' I support teaching kids to shoot and BB gun is a great start. My oldest daughter's first shot was a .54 black powder percussion "hawken" style muzzleloader, at 10 yrs old, she hit 8" * 11" paper at 25 yards. :D I was proud.....

One Eyed Jack

I made a carbon freezing chamber out of legos when I was a kid. Drop a Han Solo figure in the top, and out comes a tin-foil wrapped Han Solo at the bottom. After getting Slave-1, I modified the chamber to accomodate the carbon-frozen Han Solo "figure" that came with it. I also made my own action figures out of pipe cleaners and clay. And, of course, tin-foil.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I never did have a BB gun though.
Those old cowboy gun rigs were really neat even when I was a kid in the 70's. Would be great to have some of those old sets. Me and my bro leaned toward sci fi, and the little snubby double action cap-ring guns were about as old school as we liked. I wish I could go back and talk to 10yr old v45, I'd tell me to grab up all the cool cowboy gun rigs and leave them in the boxes. :)

We had BB guns, we never shot our eye out,
but we did some stuff we shouldnt have. With right supervision tho' I support teaching kids to shoot and BB gun is a great start. My oldest daughter's first shot was a .54 black powder percussion "hawken" style muzzleloader, at 10 yrs old, she hit 8" * 11" paper at 25 yards. :D I was proud.....

We didn't have BB guns...My late brother Fred got his left eye put by a BB gun by some neighbor kid, Fred did have a BB gun at the time, so after that neither of us would have one, and that was okay, we really didn't need it.

One Eyed Jack

My next-door neighbor shot another kid in our neighborhood in the eye with my bb gun. He didn't lose his eye, but he did lose a tear gland. My neighbor got his bb gun sawed in half, and I wasn't allowed to let him play with mine any more.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How about a crystal radio. They were a lot of fun, especially if you built your own.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I had this little model derringer that you put a cap under the hammer, and when the hammer fell, the blast from the cap went into the barrel and blew out this flimsy little hollow plastic bullet.

My brother and I immediately saw the potential in this. We used a punch to punch out a huge number of powder blisters from cap rolls, pushed them down the barrel, filled it up with bbs, and then sealed it with wax.

It worked pretty well, although the pattern was a lot wider than I would have liked. That one ended when my brother was taking it out out of the house, and dropped it on the floor.

Second best was my chemistry set, which I lost when I tried to construct a red flare and tested it on the roof of the house. I tried to explain to my dad that it wasn't dangerous, and I had in in a tripod with a metal sheet under it, but he wouldn't listen.

graceandpeace

My favorite doll..."Thumbelina"

but, after I grew out of that stage, I was a tomboy all the way...and, would rather be outside exploring bugs..etc.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My next-door neighbor shot another kid in our neighborhood in the eye with my bb gun. He didn't lose his eye, but he did lose a tear gland. My neighbor got his bb gun sawed in half, and I wasn't allowed to let him play with mine any more.

The old man bent my older brothers barrell in a vise 90 degrees.

nicholsmom

Legos, Construx, TinkerToys, Lincoln Logs and just about anything that involved me building something.

Why? I like building stuff. I have the knack, I'll never live a normal life. And it kept my father from calling me a girl or a fag.

This except for all the stuff that follows "I have the knack" - obviously. I rather liked my father calling me a girl, I delight to live a "normal life" (by which I mean the traditional), and fags are things that burn in a campfire, right? I think it's rather cruel to call anyone firewood :( Not a nice man to do that :nono:

The Lincoln Logs were my favorite of the favorites, but mostly because, being a girl, my folks didn't realize that I'd like Legos, and I had to steal my brother's Tinker Toys (what? He never played with them). I still love building stuff with Legos with my boys (don't know why the girls don't seem that interested...).

nicholsmom

Those old cowboy gun rigs were really neat even when I was a kid in the 70's. Would be great to have some of those old sets.

My husband found one on e-bay or Craig's list last year for our oldest son :) They are his pride and joy. Hard to find decent caps these days, though :sigh:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
My wife didn't like guns, so she didn't buy any toy guns for the boys. So they built them out of legos instead.

And then she gave in. Guys like guns. That's how it is.

Even with no place left for me to hunt where I live, I still like shooting. Go figure.

nicholsmom

My wife didn't like guns, so she didn't buy any toy guns for the boys. So they built them out of legos instead.

So funny. I have pictures of my boys with their guns made of those humongous Legos - the ones that are 3" wide. So cute. They have their "game faces" on too. They were something like 5 and 3 :D

firon

Countreee

Countreee

Quarterhorse (Trixie), overnight campouts with Trixie and friends, playing horseback tag through heavy brush with other fellows in the community; BB gun, rifles, shotguns, hunting, a little fishing, baseball, basketball, boxing (road work, jump rope, heavy bag, speed bag, and three round bouts against my arch enemy (who was really a very fine fellow).It was just that fighting him was like fighting the vanes on a windmill in a wind storm. Boy,could he fight! And my dogs: Soup, Spud, and Tippie. Poor old Soup - He became blind in his old age and fell in the cess pool.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
We didn't have BB guns...My late brother Fred got his left eye put by a BB gun by some neighbor kid, Fred did have a BB gun at the time, so after that neither of us would have one, and that was okay, we really didn't need it.

:shocked:
Oh man that's horrible! I've never heard a real story of that happening before.

some other dude

I got hit in the upper cheek with a ricochet once. Broke the skin and left it bleeding. I told my mom I'd gotten poked by a branch.

I remember being impressed at the time at how quickly it happened. Not like TV where the good guy sees it coming and has time to duck. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.