toldailytopic: What were your favorite childhood toys and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 19th, 2011 08:55 AM

toldailytopic: What were your favorite childhood toys and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Tico

Tudor Electronic Football! It was fun designing my own plays, kicking field goals, keeping stats, having player tryouts, and being the play-by-play commentator. No two plays were ever the same.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Giant size plastic soldiers that my folks bought at Sav-on. Durable and I could play with them in the dirt. I liked durable toys. I didn't like dolls, too breakable.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Legos, Construx, TinkerToys, Lincoln Logs and just about anything that involved me building something.

Why? I like building stuff. I have the knack, I'll never live a normal life. And it kept my father from calling me a girl or a fag.

Cracked

A stick.

In the hands of an imaginative child, a stick could become a sword, and trees are monsters.

I slew many a dragon as a child.

Come to think of it, sticks and trees, rocks and streams--those make the best toys.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Another favorite was a deep red Yo-yo. I still have it and it still works.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My brother and I loved building plastic models. I wasn't very good at it because I was a bit impatient, however my brother was an excellent model builder and I still have many of his creations from when we were kids.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
small plastic horses and cowboys that would snap on
and
when the legs of the cowboys broke I would fix them by melting them on the stove burner and quickly sticking them together when mom wasn't looking
but
I'm sure she could smell it

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My sister was really into dolls. She was a dominant twin and insisted when we played together that we played with dolls. Most of the dolls I hated because they broke after a few months of play. My favorite though was an all soft vinyl doll that came from a thrift shop. It was sturdy and didn't break.

red cardinal

Maybe Monopoly doesn't exactly fit, but it's what I spend hrs doing from about the 3rd grade upwards. I don't remember the "toys" other than bikes.

Buzzword

LEGO_logo.jpg

Then, now, and forever.

Also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
515379k_27.jpeg

I had a friend who had EVERYTHING in this toy line!
...found out later it was his parents' sad attempt to make up for constant neglect.

And of course, Mighty Max, the boy's Polly Pocket.
2923075647_05412a7ff5.jpg

elohiym

My favorites? Hard to pick.

Full size G.I. Joe figures were fun to play with. I also had the G.I. Joe six wheeled sand buggy with crane and mummy sarcophagus.

Big Jim was another action figure I had. The guy had a camper on wheels. Weird, now that I think of it. :think: He could flex his arm muscle and pop open a restraint with his bicep.

I probably spent most of my time playing with plastic Army soldiers (WWII and Vietnam era soldiers) and building and painting plastic military models. (Yes, I eventually went into the military.)

Ps82

I thoroughly enjoyed my childhood so narrowing things down to one favorite is hard.

I loved playing outdoors with small plastic cowboys and Indians. I had a entire wagon train, a stage coach, and a buck wagon. A mossy area at the bottom of a huge tree with huge above ground roots was my favorite spot.

I had a cow girl out fit with a two gun holster set, ...Didn't walk any where - galloped on my imaginary horse.

And when I was older had my own pony and surrey, and a Daisy B B gun. Wouldn't kill anything with it but enjoyed target practice.

Loved playing in my sandbox ... and jumping off of things wearing a long towel as a Superhero cape.

My older brother had a club house which became my pioneer cabin.

Loved making things out of leaves, sticks, and May Pops.

Also loved my Posey Walking Doll and my tea set.

Status
Not open for further replies.