toldailytopic: What role does a politician's religion play in your support or lack of

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 2nd, 2012 07:15 AM

toldailytopic: What role does a politician's religion play in your support or lack of support for his candidacy?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Buzzword

Given that there is literally NOTHING preventing a politician from SAYING he/she worships a particular god in a particular way, regardless of the statement's authenticity or lack thereof.....

None whatsoever.

I'm more interested in whether or not he/she can DO THE JOB, and HAS MY BEST INTEREST AT HEART.

Of course, he/she could just as easily lie about both of those as well.

Thus, I don't trust any of 'em, and refuse to partake in a meaningless social ritual ("voting") which never has a truly positive impact on the country, nor does it make any of the participants happy in the long run.

You're either angry because your candidate lost, or angry later because your candidate won and didn't fulfill a single campaign promise.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
I don't really care what religion politicians foillow as long as they are not fanantics and don't allow their religious beliefs to influence them to the point where it would cloud their judgement .
This is why I am so utterly opposed to idealogues and theocrats like Santorum, Bachmann, Perry and others . They are rigidly dogmatic, narrow-minded intolerant and self-righteous because of their religious views, and this is why they are so dangerous .

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I ever have kids I'm gonna say to them, "Son, I love you, but if you become a politician or a lawyer I'll disown you."

:)

One Eyed Jack

I'd say it plays a large, if often unconscious, role for many people. It's natural to back people who hold similar beliefs.

One Eyed Jack

I don't really care what religion politicians foillow as long as they are not fanantics and don't allow their religious beliefs to influence them to the point where it would cloud their judgement .
This is why I am so utterly opposed to idealogues and theocrats like Santorum, Bachmann, Perry and others . They are rigidly dogmatic, narrow-minded intolerant and self-righteous because of their religious views, and this is why they are so dangerous .

And you're none of these? Give us a freaking break.

Newman

I'd say dedicating your life to amassing political power and sociopathic rights violations could be considered religion.

So would I support someone like that in his endeavors?

No. :nono:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If I ever have kids I'm gonna say to them, "Son, I love you, but if you become a politician or a lawyer I'll disown you."

:)

I'll tell my son, "Whatever you do, do it with honor."

Some of the best men I've ever met were lawyers. And some of the most despicable.

A profession neither requires, instills nor removes the character a man brings to it.

On the OP, I don't know any of them well enough to know what their religion means to them. But the pronouncement of atheism or Satanism, etc. would impact my decision negatively.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I can't really say it influences me at all. I can't think of a single politician that didn't at least claim to be a Christian of some sort, at least as far as they are concerned. Some are Catholics and some are Mormons, but the platforms of those religions claim to hold to the same political ideologies. If the politicians actually followed those platforms it wouldn't matter who we voted for, they would all do the same as the others.

So we have to look at what their platforms and policies are, not the religion they claim. And if they've been in the game long enough we can look at their records. Romney claims to be a Mormon, but his record shows that his policies are the same as Obama's when it comes to abortion and homosexuality. I always thought Mormons were against those things.

And Alan Keyes is Catholic, which I oppose theologically, but his politics are very much like mine.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll tell my son, "Whatever you do, do it with honor."

Some of the best men I've ever met were lawyers. And some of the most despicable.

A profession neither requires, instills nor removes the character a man brings to it.
There's nothing honourable about pandering to the most popular sentiment of the hour. That as an occupation would certainly lead to a degradation of character.

Cleekster

meh...many of the founders of this country rejected orthodox Christianity... but look at their public life and you would never know it....politicians will be on whatever side is going to get them what they want....and most have claimed Christianity so it doesn't really say a whole lot imo.

i don't really care if someone is an Atheist, Buddhist, or a an Orthodox Christian so long as they are equipped to do the job and don't have an Anti-Religion/Theocratic agenda.

however i tend to find that Christian Conservatives are almost always Social Conservatives which for me is a deal breaker.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There's nothing honourable about pandering to the most popular sentiment of the hour.
Where did I say there was? I'm sick and tired of knee-jerk condemnations of honorable professions. The problem is with men who abuse the power. And you included my profession, which isn't impacted by the above.

That as an occupation would certainly lead to a degradation of character.
That's not the occupation. That's a weak man or woman--one without sufficient character or appreciation of personal honor.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where did I say there was? I'm sick and tired of knee-jerk condemnations of honorable professions. The problem is with men who abuse the power. And you included my profession, which isn't impacted by the above.
If you want to be a successful politician, more people have to like you than like the other guy.

It's simple math. In order to gain the edge over his opponent, a politician is forced to compromise on principle in favour of popularity. The one more willing to do so always has the advantage. Simple Darwinian mechanisms take over and we get the devolution of sense and integrity at the top.

That's not the occupation. That's a weak man or woman--one without sufficient character or appreciation of personal honor.
And the office prefers him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you want to be a successful politician, more people have to like you than like the other guy.

It's simple math. In order to gain the edge over his opponent, a politician is forced to compromise on principle in favour of popularity.
I'd concede it is the easier course, but reject an inevitability.

And again, that criticism doesn't have legs with my profession, which was included in your remarks.

HisServant

Depends upon the religion.

For example, I don't think that I could ever vote for a Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, Christian Scientist, Wahhabi Muslim or any other religion that is based on juvenile principles or encourages violence against anyone.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
meh...many of the founders of this country rejected orthodox Christianity... but look at their public life and you would never know it....politicians will be on whatever side is going to get them what they want....and most have claimed Christianity so it doesn't really say a whole lot imo.

i don't really care if someone is an Atheist, Buddhist, or a an Orthodox Christian so long as they are equipped to do the job and don't have an Anti-Religion/Theocratic agenda.

however i tend to find that Christian Conservatives are almost always Social Conservatives which for me is a deal breaker.
Why is that a deal breaker?

Christians should be social conservatives, politically, in that it is not the government's job to take care of the needy; that is the job of the people. This way the truly needy are differentiated from the just plain greedy, and the needy get the help they actually need.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

^ This

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd concede it is the easier course, but reject an inevitability.
The easier course that also brings success in the job makes the inevitability ... Inevitable.

And again, that criticism doesn't have legs with my profession, which was included in your remarks.
This thread is for the politicians. I'm gonna leave the lawyers alone for now. :)

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: What role does a politician's religion play in your support or lack of support for his candidacy?

It is very important. I do not want to elect anyone who places their religious beliefs above their commitment to the inalienable rights of citizens among those Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.