toldailytopic: What do you think of the penalty the NFL imposed on the New Orleans Sa

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 24th, 2012 09:08 AM

toldailytopic: What do you think of the penalty the NFL imposed on the New Orleans Saints?

120986133_extra_large.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm OK with something being done but I think it's too harsh. It doesn't look as if the bounty program led to any injuries. The Saints didn't receive a lot more foul calls for illegal hits so their play on the field must not have looked much different than other teams. If Shockey hadn't been a snitch no one would have known.

Also, I think there has been some blowback because this is being punished more severely than "Spygate" was. They are different offenses, but in some ways Spygate was worse.

So too harsh, but I'm OK with the league coming down on things like this.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I remember saying to my wife that I thought the defense was playing dirty. Looks like I called that one. I'm completely behind the commissioner here. He should have been as hard on the Patriots and blew it because he was still getting his legs underneath himself and I think was concerned about hammering a recently storied dynasty that had been well used by the front office for league promotion.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I'm OK with something being done but I think it's too harsh. It doesn't look as if the bounty program led to any injuries. The Saints didn't receive a lot more foul calls for illegal hits so their play on the field must not have looked much different than other teams. If Shockey hadn't been a snitch no one would have known.

Also, I think there has been some blowback because this is being punished more severely than "Spygate" was. They are different offenses, but in some ways Spygate was worse.

So too harsh, but I'm OK with the league coming down on things like this.

:plain: Ditto

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Penalties for breaking laws in society should be severe enough to make others think twice about committing the crime. Seems that Goodell believes that idea should apply to his rules, as well. I think he did the right thing. If he doesn't want this to happen, and all he does is dish out fines, it won't stop the unwanted behavior. This was pretty severe, so I imagine that anyone else will think twice before trying another bounty system again.

PananThe

I think for the offense their being charged with, the punishment was too hard.....however, Goodell and the NFL warned the Saints multiple times to cease and desist, and instead of doing that they continued with the program. They are being punished this hard because of the disrespect they showed to the commissioners office, for lying and for the repeated offenses. If they had shut the system down in 2010, then this all could have been avoided.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
As many of you know I am a huge New Orleans fan and have been since I was about 13 when I lived in LA. I was ecstatic when the Saints had a near perfect season that ended with a Superbowl win. Now with that said, I am extremely grieved that the saints have soiled their garments with the bounty's and ensuing scandal that followed. The Saints brought a lot of city and state pride to a post Katrina ravished LA gulf coast and helped with the rebuilding of that town psychologically speaking so, for this to happen really overshadows all they accomplished which is very sad. I think the punishments thus far are harsh but, required to send the message that this type of behavior is unacceptable. I am sure there will be more to come with this story but, for now that is the feelings of a diehard fan. :sigh:

I hope that the Saints do not fall apart and are able to pick up the pieces and comeback to redeem themselves. :plain:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
So you aren't married then... :plain:

:first:

As for the topic, it was a dumb thing the Saints did, really bad PR for NFL, needs to be slammed. I think the punishment might be too harsh for the damage it "didnt" seem to cause, but imagine if someone did get a career ending blow out injury and then it was discovered this policy was in place, heads would roll.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am ok with it. The NFL just can go selling "Biggest Hits Videos" and highlight of big hits to ESPN.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The fact is, football took a wrong turn somewhere back, when they started to get the idea that it was good to try to hurt other players. The Saints didn't invent that idea. I've watched coaches tell ten-year-old players to do that.

The Saints just applied the idea logically. And yes, it's what makes the game exciting for many people, just as NASCAR wouldn't have much of a following without crashes.

Quincy

I support it, the outrage against is kind of ridiculous. The sport is dangerous enough without adding incentives for extra doses of malice to be thrown in.

All12Cylinders

...as has already been pointed out, this was a team and city that we all felt sorry for after Katrina.

Quincy used the best term IMO - "extra dose of malice", they apparently targeted players, Favre, Rogers.

I don't want to see that on TV and I have 12 years of full contact MA background.

I expect this mentality on the street, but I don't want the attitude as sport.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It just keeps getting worse for New Orleans.

Now there is something along the lines of a new "Spygate", with the GM, Loomis, listening in on the opposing coaches' conversations. Assuming it is true, I'm skeptical that it really helped them that much (they had a better away record during that period) but it is still another black eye on the GM and the team. Luckily, this happened (allegedly) before Payton was the coach so he shouldn't be incriminated.