toldailytopic: What are your thoughts on Planned Parenthood?

Bean Counter

I would like to take a wrecking ball and destroy all of their facilities, without the people in them of course. I would liken it to being able to tear down the altars of baal where they sacrificed children in the OT.

I hope and pray to see the day when that organization can no longer kill children.

Breathe

Same here ... I utilized PP back in my late teens and mid twenties for less expensive birth control. For that purpose, they are great ... my only issue with them is that they perform abortions.

Me too. I also sent my son and his gf to PP for a lecture and birth control pills when I realized they were going to have sex and there was nothing I could do about it. Thanks to PP, I am not a grandmother.

The most definite downside to them is that they also do abortions. But so do most hospitals, and I don't see anyone here wanting to lock hospital doors, or tear them down brick by brick.

PureX

Actually any doctor who performs an abortion is as much at fault as the woman aborting ...
Oh, I don't think so. I don't believe the executioner is to be equally blamed for an illegally ordered state execution. Unlike the state, he can reasonably claim that had he not carried out the mandate, someone less qualified would have. So at least he was able to ensure an efficient and painless end. But this is all beside the point.

If you want to stop abortion in this country, you are going to have to convince enough of your fellow citizens to agree that they should be stopped. A few years ago, when I was here on TOL, I argued that abortion should be legal because we have no proof as to when a fetus becomes a human being, and so people should have the right to choose for themselves. I no longer believe this, however. I now believe that abortion should be illegal precisely because we don't know when a fetus becomes a human beings, and as such we don't have the right to make such life and death presumptions. So you people here on TOL have actually changed at least one person's mind.

But you did it by being reasonable. And not by calling me names, or by wanting to destroy Planned Parenthood, or by trying to destroy the judicial system and stack the courts. In fact, all those things just made it all the more difficult for me to listen to you. (Not you, specifically, Rusha.)

You anti-abortion folks really need to put a check on your emotions regarding abortion, and stop calling people murderers, and trying the rip the judicial system apart, and PLEASE stop voting for idiots just because they tell you they are anti-abortion. Do it the right way, and explain to your fellow citizens calmly and reasonably why abortion is wrong. You don't have to convince everyone, just a majority, and it'll happen.

jwp98

If our goal is to reduce net suffering in the world, abortion would be fine.

If our goal is to follow God's commands and trust Him to deal with the unwanted children, that's different.

I thought murder required malice aforethought?

I once merely posted that each abortion should be agonized over, and NOT the decision of a scared clueless girl, and I got flamed by Nick among others. So my objection is: why is the public discourse not happening?

Can we ignore the political agenda of PP? What can we each do to help individual gals "in trouble"?

PureX

If our goal is to reduce net suffering in the world, abortion would be fine.

If our goal is to follow God's commands and trust Him to deal with the unwanted children, that's different.

I thought murder required malice aforethought?

I once merely posted that each abortion should be agonized over, and NOT the decision of a scared clueless girl, and I got flamed by Nick among others. So my objection is: why is the public discourse not happening?

Can we ignore the political agenda of PP? What can we each do to help individual gals "in trouble"?
Amen! That's the other tool that the anti-abortion folks can use to change hearts and minds - to offer realistic solutions, rather than pasting a scarlet letter on the irresponsible girls/women who get pregnant. Good solutions make sense to people. Reasonable alternatives will help stop girls from opting to abort.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You say that so casually. "oh, my only issue is they kill babies."

:yawn:

It is like saying "oh, the Nazi's are great, my only issue is they kill people."

Providing health care for women which includes contraception is a GOOD thing. No pregnancy = no abortion.

Which part of that did you not understand?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would like to take a wrecking ball and destroy all of their facilities, without the people in them of course. I would liken it to being able to tear down the altars of baal where they sacrificed children in the OT.

I hope and pray to see the day when that organization can no longer kill children.

You say that like you approve of all the private facilities and hospitals that still provide abortion ....

Breathe

:yawn:

Providing health care for women which includes contraception is a GOOD thing. No pregnancy = no abortion.

Which part of that did you not understand?

A lot of people don't realize that PP has prevented a lot of abortions and unwanted pregnancies simply by education and the provision of birth control - especially among young women. PP is the place they go when they want their decisions about sex to remain private.

When kids are old enough, most will have sex. Isn't it better that they have protection and birth control? Denial of those things isn't going to keep kids from having sex, but it will certainly result in more abortions, and more unwanted children. How can people not get that?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm fairly certain that all hospitals that receive federal funds are required to allow abortions in their facilities. Do you want to take a wrecking ball to all of them?

If he doesn't, wouldn't that be like saying "oh, the Nazi's are great, my only issue is they kill people."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A lot of people don't realize that PP has prevented a lot of abortions and unwanted pregnancies simply by education and the provision of birth control - especially among young women. PP is the place they go when they want their decisions about sex to remain private.

As someone who has always been staunchly against abortion, but utilized their services as a young adult, I get that.

When kids are old enough, most will have sex. Isn't it better that they have protection and birth control? Denial of those things isn't going to keep kids from having sex, but it will certainly result in more abortions, and more unwanted children. How can people not get that?

The reasoning is that by being honest and giving them all the facts, it is promoting sexual promiscuity. :hammer:

Bean Counter

I'm fairly certain that all hospitals that receive federal funds are required to allow abortions in their facilities. Do you want to take a wrecking ball to all of them?

Like the Lord told Samuel, we should look upon the heart.

You look at the heart, the intentions, of Planned Parenthood and it is evil. They want to murder unborn children. Save me the rhetoric about them trying to help people.

I don't believe the intentions of many hospitals are to murder the innocent. Like you say, they are required. The goal should be to remove the requirment.

It would be like wanting to destroy all of the concentration camps in Nazi Germany (Planned Parenthood), and also not destroying all the people who allowed it (hospitals), but removing Adolf Hitler who required it.

Hopefully you see the difference.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As someone who has always been staunchly against abortion, but utilized their services as a young adult, I get that.
How do you feel about the medical advancements that have been made in part by the horrible experiments that were done on Jews in concentration camps? Do those medical advancements give us just cause to publicly affirm the Nazi concentration camps?

Does the fact that a serial murderer might help a blind elderly woman cross the street give us cause to give that murderer public affirmation?

How many good deeds does it take to whitewash just one murdered child?

Bean Counter

In the same way I didn't get

You say that so casually. "oh, my only issue is they kill babies."

It is like saying "oh, the Nazi's are great, my only issue is they kill people." from what I said?

from my previous post. Hmmm .............................

Well, maybe if I approached it from a different perspective.

You can tell alot about the heart of a person from the things they do. I would never look at an abortionist, a man/woman whose hands shed innocent blood and think they have a good nature. Even if they donated much of the money they earned from murdering the innocent to charity. You see, I would look at that person and think to myself anyone who is willing to murder the innocent has an evil heart and they hate God.

So if you are as vehemently anti-abortion as you say you are, I would think you would be disgusted by the actions of Planned Parenthood and never use the phrase "For that purpose, they are great .... my only issue with them is they perform abortions". That's a pretty big "only issue".

That is why I said you say that so casually.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't believe the intentions of many hospitals are to murder the innocent. Like you say, they are required. The goal should be to remove the requirment.

Banning abortion WOULD remove that requirement.

It would be like wanting to destroy all of the concentration camps in Nazi Germany (Planned Parenthood), and also not destroying all the people who allowed it (hospitals), but removing Adolf Hitler who required it.

Hopefully you see the difference.

Well, being that you are a newbie and JUMPED to a conclusion that was never intended, as someone who is vehemently anti-abortion in ALL cases (including rape), I will share with you the same explanation I gave to Knight regarding my response:

Hi Knight. I just read your rep, and let me try to explain myself better. My position on PP as well as any clinic or physician that provides abortion is that THAT particular service should not be provided. That includes hospitals.

I also realize that there are women and teens who are against abortion but also need the *other* services that PP (and other places) provide. I would like to see abortion banned and clinics such as PP utilized in the way the name suggests: Planned Parenthood ... things like contraception, examinations, prenatal care, mammograms.

I was looking at the practical side of utilizing and revamping medical facilities that already exist by eliminating abortion but providing care at a reduced cost for women.

I hope this is a better explanation of my position.

In the future, I would appreciate you asking me my position on issues rather than assuming and accusing me of being fine with of something I am vehemently opposed to.

I do not approve of abortion under any circumstances. You were speaking of a building ... I was speaking of the practice.

genuineoriginal

A great many of those terminated pregnancies, if the women had given birth, would have caused an enormous number of helpless children to grow up in abject poverty, filth, squalor, malnutrition, abuse,neglect, lack of education and job opportunity , and to be surrounded by drugs,crime and random violence.
You think it is better to be murdered than to "grow up in abject poverty, filth, squalor, malnutrition, abuse,neglect, lack of education and job opportunity , and to be surrounded by drugs,crime and random violence"?