toldailytopic: Since coming to TOL I have learned that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've learnt that the truth can be drop dead hilarious. :rotfl:

The Graphite

I've learned that doctrinal truth isn't always what you want to be true, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the truth.

Which inspires me to suggest a new TOL question of the day! Hmmmm! :think:

lucy

I have learned that there are a lot of different doctrinal beliefs I did not know existed. This in turn has helped me to understand some of the reasons I was so confused about what I heard in church when I was a kid. I did not know that you have to know the underlying theological view of the particular pastor who is speaking to be able to understand what he is talking about.

Nobody ever mentioned TULIP or dispensationalism or Armninianism, etc., from the pulpit. I look back now and can see that where the pastor is "coming from" will affect the way he talks about security of salvation or the end times or the place of faith, or freewill, etc. I always felt like a weirdo because none of the other kids were bothered by stuff the pastor said and my Sunday School teachers could not answer my questions.

On the one hand, it makes me feel better to know I was not "crazy" and that some pastors really did contradict each other and some even contradicted themselves from Sunday to Sunday.

Then on the other hand, it discourages me that we really don't know all the answers, and there are so many different ways of interpreting the Bible.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That when a person is not assembling with others, covenanting in membership within a visible church and submitting themselves to its authority, there is no limit to the perversions of God's Word that these persons will come up with.

Oh, and there are some who view TOL as a bully pulpit to feed their ego to be seen, asserting mindlessly without ever submitting themselves to a proper defense of their assertions.

AMR

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
.... I don't have to win every debate.

I can let go.

... I have learned that some fights are not worth fighting.

:up: to both.

I've learned that if I jump on a topic with guns blazing, then it's very difficult, if not impossible, for me to recognize an error I might be making. And if I'm in that position and start to see that I was too hasty, it's very difficult to humble myself and admit the possibility of being wrong.

I'd rather be able to objectively evaluate what I read and what I believe, rather than putting myself in a position where I have to defend myself at all costs.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That when a person is not assembling with others, covenanting in membership within a visible church and submitting themselves to its authority,

In shepherding terms these are called fence crawlers.​

there is no limit to the perversions of God's Word that these persons will come up with.

These are using the method of "Lucky Bible Dip Study" and they use their 26-versions-in-one-bible to find a verse to make their perversions of Scripture fit their style of perverseness.​

Oh, and there are some who view TOL as a bully pulpit to feed their ego to be seen, asserting mindlessly without ever submitting themselves to a proper defense of their assertions.

Pulpit bullies are of the big "I" denomination; prIde, sIn, and always wanting to be at the center of bible beating, pulpit pounding, ego feeding, rants and raves.​

:thumb: How are you this fine day. :wave2:​

Son of Jack

In shepherding terms these are called fence crawlers.​

These are using the method of "Lucky Bible Dip Study" and they use their 26-versions-in-one-bible to find a verse to make their perversions of Scripture fit their style of perverseness.​

Pulpit bullies are of the big "I" denomination; prIde, sIn, and always wanting to be at the center of bible beating, pulpit pounding, ego feeding, rants and raves.​

:thumb: How are you this fine day. :wave2:​

Between you and AMR I feel all cheered up.:D

Seriously though, I agree with both of you.

bybee

Learning

Learning

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 20th, 2010 09:21 AM

toldailytopic: Since coming to TOL I have learned that...

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I have learned that there is so much more to learn. Many on here have opened my eyes to those things that I hadn't seen before.
I have learned a little more self-discipline in dealing with the slings and arrows of outrageous posters. I have made many apologies on here for my own ineptness and incivility but I shall carry on! bybee

Aimiel

I've learned (and this, I feel is the MOST important thing) that I'm not even half as smart as I had presumed that I was, before coming here. But being accepted, steered, laughed at, corrected and even once in a while: agreed with; I've found a home. :thumb:

bybee

I would add

I would add

Christians fight a pantload about their beliefs, mostly about unimportant things.

I would add, though, that in the process of arguing over little things I go do my homework and learn a ton!
Sometimes it results in an "oops!" and sometimes I get to gloat silently. But always, I say thank you to those who help open my eyes to the truth that is there waiting for me.
There are so many gracious people here and I'm grateful for this forum through which I have been privileged to get to know them. peace, bybee

lucy

That when a person is not assembling with others, covenanting in membership within a visible church and submitting themselves to its authority, there is no limit to the perversions of God's Word that these persons will come up with.

AMR

I agree!

grit

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo, fr. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

Aimiel

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo, fr. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
:chuckle:

Only a hobbit can confusticate and bother you, and in the same moment, make you glad that you met them.

Ps82

I've learned to take short breaks from TOL in order to enjoy daily life ... but that I have not yet tired of writing about the LORD! My passion has been going on for at least 11 years now - at TOL and other boards.

I've learned that you can find things to like about others posting even if you strongly disagree with their conclusions. It just takes time to find the golden nuggets that reveal who they are in everyday life.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

AMR

I wonder which one of them is me

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I have learned that I am eternally secure in Christ, and that my identity is in Him and not in my flesh where sin dwells. I have learned that God is in control of His own mind and that the future doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.