toldailytopic: Since coming to TOL I have learned that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I would prefer infralapsarianism that God merely foresaw, and hence permitted the fall. It is still a funny word bit short for "God merely foresaw, and hence permitted the fall."

K

Aimiel

I've learned that understanding is one thing, and expressing that understanding takes practice. LOTS of practice.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have learned that it isn't effective to be a "one trick pony".

Same with a 'Punch and Judy Show', it gets nowhere, yet seems to have come back into its own style.

Shall I complain, that also gets nowhere, just another 'Punch and Judy Show'.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've learned more what "casting pearls before swine" means.

I've learned that many times when people say they come here to learn they really only want to debate their beliefs.

I've learned that I would never want to be the webmaster of this site.

I've learned that people tend to hide behind a screen and say things to people that they would not say to them in person.

I've learned that there are some mighty neat people who live in Denver.

More to come, I'm sure.

Son of Jack

Same with a 'Punch and Judy Show', it gets nowhere, yet seems to have come back into its own style.

Shall I complain, that also gets nowhere, just another 'Punch and Judy Show'.

And here I thought that punchin' Judy was just a way of describing a baseball player's batting ability as kinda' girly.

TOL teaches me something new everyday.:D

grit

I was gonna put this response off for a while, but maybe this is the place, and I'm sure to be too long-winded about it and botch it up a bit. I took a two-year sabbatical after initially signing onto TOL, due entirely to the flavour of welcome I received within the first 30 minutes of my visit and welcome thread, which I found and still find very offensive, especially as I’m reminded of it through crude profanity of negative rep comment every time I visit my User CP. There were and are plenty of other such Christian Internet boards, and I simply chose to visit those for a while.

I don’t mean to sound a sensitive crybaby, and I think a lot of Knight, from here and elsewhere, and even of the members insulting me in their welcome - I'm quite sure they're honourable folk. Having endured a lot, like most of you no doubt, I actually think I have a pretty thick skin, I’ve just always been hopeful of better things for Christian Internet discussion.

I only post that to post this. I’ve always known that Internet communication presents special challenges even beyond the miscommunications we commonly experience in more direct or intimate settings, but what I’ve learned in the two years I’ve been away and in coming back is that most every large Christian Internet discussion board is hopelessly flawed, inadequately administered, and a blight upon the name “Christian”. It’s of course a shame, and partly an element of the format, but it’s not unlike the Christian religion in general or we Christians individually. In many ways we’re broken and a poor testament to Christ, but we’re not without the availability of Christ being genuinely seen in and through us, and our Internet discussion boards exhibiting God’s grace amidst our considerable inhospitality and cruelty.

I guess what I’m saying is that TOL teaches me to ignore member and administrator comments alike, look earnestly for the person beyond the comments, and look even more earnestly for Christ in every post. Address those, and not the symbols representing them on a flat screen.

MrRadish

I've learned that I don't know that other people don't know whether there's a god. I only know that I don't know whether there's a god.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I've learned more what "casting pearls before swine" means.

I've learned that many times when people say they come here to learn they really only want to debate their beliefs.

I've learned that I would never want to be the webmaster of this site.

I've learned that people tend to hide behind a screen and say things to people that they would not say to them in person.

I've learned that there are some mighty neat people who live in Denver.

More to come, I'm sure.
About people wanting to stick to and argue their beliefs, to the point of an obsession, I think that seems common on the net, on most forums. It is the nature on the net.

Now while I agree with you about most people 'hiding behind the screen' I do tell you in all truth what I have said to many persons face to face has been for more direct. Most persons have high level moderated jobs. After much self search, I became a forensic psychologist, partly because when I was young, I wanted to be a police officer. My family believed I should be either a doctor of sorts or a lawyer.

Here, I have to keep my self moderation, or Knight will moderate me and I would feel much shame, not following the rules. I will still call it like I see it without strong language, which people are immune to these days.

I like Colorado too, but it is too cold for me.

Casting pearls before swine? Do not waste your good works on those who choose sin, or do not give the choice food to the pigs.:)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I was gonna put this response off for a while, but maybe this is the place, and I'm sure to be too long-winded about it and botch it up a bit. I took a two-year sabbatical after initially signing onto TOL, due entirely to the flavour of welcome I received within the first 30 minutes of my visit and welcome thread, which I found and still find very offensive, especially as I’m reminded of it through crude profanity of negative rep comment every time I visit my User CP. There were and are plenty of other such Christian Internet boards, and I simply chose to visit those for a while.

I don’t mean to sound a sensitive crybaby, and I think a lot of Knight, from here and elsewhere, and even of the members insulting me in their welcome - I'm quite sure they're honourable folk. Having endured a lot, like most of you no doubt, I actually think I have a pretty thick skin, I’ve just always been hopeful of better things for Christian Internet discussion.

I only post that to post this. I’ve always known that Internet communication presents special challenges even beyond the miscommunications we commonly experience in more direct or intimate settings, but what I’ve learned in the two years I’ve been away and in coming back is that most every large Christian Internet discussion board is hopelessly flawed, inadequately administered, and a blight upon the name “Christian”. It’s of course a shame, and partly an element of the format, but it’s not unlike the Christian religion in general or we Christians individually. In many ways we’re broken and a poor testament to Christ, but we’re not without the availability of Christ being genuinely seen in and through us, and our Internet discussion boards exhibiting God’s grace amidst our considerable inhospitality and cruelty.

I guess what I’m saying is that TOL teaches me to ignore member and administrator comments alike, look earnestly for the person beyond the comments, and look even more earnestly for Christ in every post. Address those, and not the symbols representing them on a flat screen.

This is the internet. You find the same thing oh atheists forum's, I'm sure. I think Knight does an excellent job managing this forum, far better than others, which I find too clannish, or worshiping the leader. Those are the forums that ban one for disagreeing with them. Not true here; people are free to express themselves, as long as they don't break simple rules.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Since coming to TOL I have learned that...

• Most everybody here puts up with my sometimes nuttiness and shenanigans.
  • I have a lot more to learn.
  • There are more questions than answers.
  • Patience is not easily learned.
  • Knight with some others are good friends.
  • TOL is a fun forum.
  • I can roll with the punches.
  • There differences between Dispyist’s, MADist's, Pentecostal's and Doesn't Matterist's, etc., but Jesus is still central.

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I've learned that there are more nutjobs out there than I thought possible.

I agree Maxineee, people on the net are less inhibited to act nutty. Not, in all cases more aggressive or assertive, as given ones position, this might lead to respect.

However, dancing around in Wall-Mart singing:

Well, be-bop-a-lula, she's my baby
Be-bop-a-lula, I don't mean maybe
Be-bop-a-lula, she's my baby
Be-bop-a-lula, I don't mean maybe
Be-bop-a-lula, she's my baby love
My baby love, my baby love.

while dancing around customers in the checkout line would be :kookoo:

Thunder's Muse

Since coming to TOL, I have learned that....

I am God's child and He loves me...and what that really means.

I should value myself more.

Theology won't get you to heaven.

It's ok to be wrong.

Sarcasm is an artform.

A person's religious beliefs don't always stop them from being a jerk. Infact, some people use it as an excuse.

Son of Jack

Since coming to TOL, I have learned that....

I am God's child and He loves me...and what that really means.

:)

I should value myself more.

Indeed, because God does.

Theology won't get you to heaven.

Some maps are drawn better than others. Some are drawn so poorly that there is no way to make it to the right destination.

It's ok to be wrong.

I've learned this from experience.:eek:

Sarcasm is an artform.

:shut:

A person's religious beliefs don't always stop them from being a jerk. Infact, some people use it as an excuse.

:sigh:....

:plain:

:shocked:

Are you talking about me?

Status
Not open for further replies.