toldailytopic: Should it be illegal to commit suicide?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree mental health services should be sought and mandatory to hopefully prevent that person taking the lives of innocents around them. However, I do not think they should be paid for by taxpayers since it was that "persons right" to try it.

For the hospital care resulting from the attempt ... neither do I. My hopes would be the hospital would work with the person and allow them to pay the debt off over a period of time rather than demanding full payment immediately.

Silent Hunter

I do not think anyone should kill themselves, however some think this is a "right" to take their life. My faith tells me the act is an abomination against God.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
1 Corinthians 3:16-17
Taken out of context these would suggest a biblical prohibition against suicide although I am unaware of any direct reference.

As far as charged with attempted murder, that would only back up the criminal courts even further so I would say NO.
:think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Exactly how does one go about prosecuting someone who has committed suicide? :idunno:

That isn't why it is illegal. Let me help you out. Get your brains out of neutral and pay attention. I realize that is tough for a moron like you, but give it your best. :)

Suppose a person slits their wrists, or takes an overdose of something. Then that person locks themself in a room. And that person is your good friend. Can you already see where this is going? Would you try to keep out any rescue worker? Why or why not. Would it be wrong of you to block paramedics with physical force that were called to try and save him? What if you friend didn't really want to die, but was just depressed and afraid. And that is why he didn't put a 357 in his mouth. Is is immoral for you to stop paramedic? If it is immoral, it also has to be illegal. If it is not illegal, the paramedics can not help you.

Many suicide attempts fail. Later the person admitted that didn't really want to die, and were afraid.

LKmommy

From your link, "According to Nadine Strossen, former President of the ACLU, "The idea of government making determinations about how you end your life, forcing you...could be considered cruel and unusual punishment in certain circumstances, and Justice Stevens in a very interesting opinion in a right-to-die [case] raised the analogy."[23]"

I am not a legal expert but seems any law might get shot down before it ever got to point of becoming law.

Taken out of context these would suggest a biblical prohibition against suicide although I am unaware of any direct reference.

SH, I am not aware of any direct references to suicide however I said that I look to those passages and my moral/religous compass deduces it is wrong to take one's own life.

Please note, there are laws against murder and rape but that sure is not a deterrent to those actions. So on that type of thinking, sure go ahead let them make a "law" against it. That does not mean people will obey it. If it was a law, how do you handle the people who do not succeed and require life long care because they are 1/2 brain dead now? I know, they can stand in line for treatments behind the former and current returning Veterans of War.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Please note, there are laws against murder and rape but that sure is not a deterrent to those actions.

The perps are not punished.

Exodus 21

12 “He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death. 13 However, if he did not lie in wait, but God delivered him into his hand, then I will appoint for you a place where he may flee.

14 “But if a man acts with premeditation against his neighbor, to kill him by treachery, you shall take him from My altar, that he may die.

16 “He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 22

25 “But if a man finds a betrothed young woman in the countryside, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die.

Deuteronomy 17

11 According to the sentence of the law in which they instruct you, according to the judgment which they tell you, you shall do; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left from the sentence which they pronounce upon you. 12 Now the man who acts presumptuously and will not heed the priest who stands to minister there before the Lord your God, or the judge, that man shall die. So you shall put away the evil from Israel. 13 And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously.

Now, there are things in the law that are about Israel's relations with God, along with the law about how we are to treat each other. This is why Moses says the Priest and the Judge.

The death penalty is a deterent. America is not getting it done like they should. James Holmes is still breathing air.

Silent Hunter

From your link, "According to Nadine Strossen, former President of the ACLU, "The idea of government making determinations about how you end your life, forcing you...could be considered cruel and unusual punishment in certain circumstances, and Justice Stevens in a very interesting opinion in a right-to-die [case] raised the analogy."[23]"

I am not a legal expert but seems any law might get shot down before it ever got to point of becoming law.
Quite probably so . . . :idunno:.

SH, I am not aware of any direct references to suicide however I said that I look to those passages and my moral/religous compass deduces it is wrong to take one's own life.
Who am I to gauge your moral compass . . . :nono:.

Please note, there are laws against murder and rape but that sure is not a deterrent to those actions. So on that type of thinking, sure go ahead let them make a "law" against it. That does not mean people will obey it.
No law obligates obedience to it . . . aside from punishment for the same.

From Wikipedia . . . "While a person who has successfully committed suicide is beyond the reach of the law, there can still be legal consequences in the cases of treatment of the corpse or the fate of the person's property or family members".

. . . and is treated further . . .

here . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_views_of_suicide#History

and here . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_views_of_suicide#Laws_in_individual_jurisdictions

If it was a law, how do you handle the people who do not succeed and require life long care because they are 1/2 brain dead now? I know, they can stand in line for treatments behind the former and current returning Veterans of War.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes. And if found guilty, you should be executed.

picture.php

LKmommy

The perps are not punished.

Exodus 21

12 “He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death. 13 However, if he did not lie in wait, but God delivered him into his hand, then I will appoint for you a place where he may flee.

14 “But if a man acts with premeditation against his neighbor, to kill him by treachery, you shall take him from My altar, that he may die.

16 “He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 22

25 “But if a man finds a betrothed young woman in the countryside, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die.

Deuteronomy 17

11 According to the sentence of the law in which they instruct you, according to the judgment which they tell you, you shall do; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left from the sentence which they pronounce upon you. 12 Now the man who acts presumptuously and will not heed the priest who stands to minister there before the Lord your God, or the judge, that man shall die. So you shall put away the evil from Israel. 13 And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously.

Now, there are things in the law that are about Israel's relations with God, along with the law about how we are to treat each other. This is why Moses says the Priest and the Judge.

The death penalty is a deterent. America is not getting it done like they should. James Holmes is still breathing air.

Thank you NickM for mentioning the distinctions between man made laws, God's Laws, and who is subject to what. I answered the confusing hypothetical "TOD" in the manner I did and stand by it (for myself).

I agree to what you have pointed out, however the last part was my point perhaps ie. Holmes. It is isn't stopping the actions OR being an effective deterent in stopping it IMO.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
All suicide attempters must be immediately be put to death along with those who attempt abortion.

lucaspa

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 6th, 2013 06:00 AM

ROFL! And just what punishment are you going to impose on those who do break this law? A fine? The death penalty? LOL

Just because some Christians think suicide is a sin doesn't mean it should be illegal.

Is hiriing an illegal immigrant a sin? It's illegal. See how legality and sin don't correspond?

Silent Hunter

That isn't why it is illegal. Let me help you out. Get your brains out of neutral and pay attention. I realize that is tough for a moron like you, but give it your best.
After insulting me there is no real reason to read the rest of your response . . . but I will anyway . . .

Suppose a person slits their wrists, or takes an overdose of something. Then that person locks themself in a room. And that person is your good friend. Can you already see where this is going?
Not really, but let's continue . . .

Would you try to keep out any rescue worker? Why or why not.
No, I wouldn't because I'm not in charge of the rescue attempt. BTW, how do I know my "good friend" is even at home?

Would it be wrong of you to block paramedics with physical force that were called to try and save him?
It would be neither.

What if you friend didn't really want to die, but was just depressed and afraid. And that is why he didn't put a 357 in his mouth.
I say he really DID want to die given the circumstances and his emotional health at the time.

Is is immoral for you to stop paramedic?
It would be neither.

If it is immoral, it also has to be illegal.
No, it isn't. There are a lot of things you believe are immoral that aren't illegal.

If it is not illegal, the paramedics can not help you.
It isn't illegal to have a heart attack either . . . so by your reasoning the paramedics can not help you . . . :dead:

Many suicide attempts fail. Later the person admitted that didn't really want to die, and were afraid.
:liberals:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right, because people who are suicidal are thinking rationally and will not do it because they might get executed after they kill themselves :freak:
:idunno:

Laws aren't solely pointed at people who find themselves on the brink of committing a crime.

Try to think rationally. :up:

Never been suicidal have you?
Nope.

I've never considered all sorts of other things as well. :idunno:

The only reason to do this is if you want the person to be remembered on the books as a murderer.
Nope.

As far as charged with attempted murder, that would only back up the criminal courts even further so I would say NO.
Arguments from consequence are irrational.

Thank you so much for sharing, bybee. I'm sorry that you too have experienced this pain. I was a suicidal child and teenager, there is no rational thinking when in that mindset/mood.

We don't make laws in order to only instruct people at their most irrational.
Ha! Ha!:rotfl: That will do alot of good if you're already dead.

Have you ever heard of the concept of the law as a teacher?

That isn't why it is illegal. Let me help you out. Get your brains out of neutral and pay attention. I realize that is tough for a moron like you, but give it your best. :)
Sometimes I think there is no hope for the evolutionists. :)

And if just one of those were executed according to the law, others would be deterred from playing such manipulative games.

ROFL! And just what punishment are you going to impose on those who do break this law? A fine? The death penalty? LOL
Drop a freight container on them. :up:

How much does a crane cost to use for 5 minutes? :idunno:

Just because some Christians think suicide is a sin doesn't mean it should be illegal.
Now there's an idiot's argument.

Is hiriing an illegal immigrant a sin? It's illegal. See how legality and sin don't correspond?
That's right. It isn't a 1-to-1 relationship.

exminister

I recently read that if you had an abusive childhood you were 10 times more likely to consider suicide.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Making suicide illegal would stop some attempts.

Life insurance comes to mind.
Since crime doesn't pay, it would stop some people from taking out large insurance policies and then killing themselves in a desperate attempt to provide for their family.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I was going to say that I don't see how it could be enforced, but that attempted suicide should be, certainly.

My reasoning was that you could not actually punish a dead person.

But after seeing some of the arguments from those I consider friends it makes sense to make suicide itself illegal.

However, this doesn't work if there is not a swift and severe punishment for those who survive any attempts.

The only exception I have is those who give themselves severe brain damage in their attempts.

Yes. And if found guilty, you should be executed.
I was going to chuckle at this, as I thought it was a joke, then I read more of your posts.

what if you kill yourself in your bedroom?
:chuckle:

I have to give it to you, that was a good one.

You impose the punishment on those who do not manage to kill themselves.

:plain:

Is murder a sin? It's illegal. See how legality and sin don't correspond?

That's right. It isn't a 1-to-1 relationship.
True dat!

I recently read that if you had an abusive childhood you were 10 times more likely to consider suicide.
Then I should have considered it quite often.

Can you tell me why I never did?

Making suicide illegal would stop some attempts.
Certainly.

I have a friend who stopped himself because he realized that if he didn't die it was really going to hurt. If people fear the consequences if they fail they are less likely to attempt it.

Life insurance comes to mind.
Since crime doesn't pay, it would stop some people from taking out large insurance policies and then killing themselves in a desperate attempt to provide for their family.
I think most policies have a suicide clause, wherein they don't pay out if the insured commits suicide.

If suicide is outlawed, only outlaws will commit suicide.

I think crime should be illegal.
:chuckle: