toldailytopic: Should it be illegal to commit suicide?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 6th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Should it be illegal to commit suicide?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. And if found guilty, you should be executed.

HisServant

Since when has making something illegal ever stopped anyone?

Not to mention that this would be a law that would be impossible (or extremely costly) to enforce.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since when has making something illegal ever stopped anyone?
Plenty. People tend to think through consequences for actions and plenty are swayed away from crime from the fear those consequences.

Not to mention that this would be a law that would be impossible (or extremely costly) to enforce.
How much do a pile of rocks cost? :idunno:

Silent Hunter

Plenty. People tend to think through consequences for actions and plenty are swayed away from crime from the fear those consequences.
The consequences of suicide cannot be more severe than they are already. How do you punish a person who has committed suicide? :idunno:

How much do a pile of rocks cost?
I don't think you've thought this one through . . .

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
We should provide folks in their right mind the option of ending their lives if they wish to do so. As for laws on the books, I suspect they apply to situations other than physician-related where the individual in question botches the job. Where's TH?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People need to think through a law, not ridicule it. What good reason might there be for a DP law against suicide?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think that *trying* to commit suicide should be illegal insofar as criminal punishment. However, I DO believe that mental health treatment should be mandatory in most cases of attempted suicide.

Quincy

People need to think through a law, not ridicule it. What good reason might there be for a DP law against suicide?

Right, because people who are suicidal are thinking rationally and will not do it because they might get executed after they kill themselves :freak: .

Never been suicidal have you?

The only reason to do this is if you want the person to be remembered on the books as a murderer.

bybee

Right, because people who are suicidal are thinking rationally and will not do it because they might get executed after they kill themselves :freak: .

Never been suicidal have you?

The only reason to do this is if you want the person to be remembered on the books as a murderer.

I have been suicidal. I sometimes found myself on "Bleak Street"
My psychological and intellectual and emotional landscape changed in an instant. All was become colorless and pointless. I couldn't find a reason to stay alive.
Luckily, I suffer from a certain amount of inertia. Deciding on a way to end my life required more thought than I could give to it.
And, I believe, the voice of God would sneak into my thought processes and say "Will you feel this way in the morning?"
I knew that in the morning I would face the day with a better attitude.
I love life! Even as an elderly lady of 75+ years with many of the limitations which come with the aging process still, I love life!
Thanks be to God. It is God's love that has kept me in the game!

LKmommy

But that's not suicide . . . is it? Should attempted suicide be punished similar to attempted homicide? If so, why?
I do not think anyone should kill themselves, however some think this is a "right" to take their life. My faith tells me the act is an abomination against God.

1Corinthians 6:19-20
1Corinthians 3:16-17

As far as charged with attempted murder, that would only back up the criminal courts even further so I would say NO.

Quincy

I have been suicidal. I sometimes found myself on "Bleak Street"
My psychological and intellectual and emotional landscape changed in an instant. All was become colorless and pointless. I couldn't find a reason to stay alive.
Luckily, I suffer from a certain amount of inertia. Deciding on a way to end my life required more thought than I could give to it.
And, I believe, the voice of God would sneak into my thought processes and say "Will you feel this way in the morning?"
I knew that in the morning I would face the day with a better attitude.
I love life! Even as an elderly lady of 75+ years with many of the limitations which come with the aging process still, I love life!
Thanks be to God. It is God's love that has kept me in the game!

Thank you so much for sharing, bybee. I'm sorry that you too have experienced this pain. I was a suicidal child and teenager, there is no rational thinking when in that mindset/mood.

False Prophet

Yes. And if found guilty, you should be executed.

Ha! Ha!:rotfl: That will do alot of good if you're already dead. However, if you screw it up, and you end up in the bubble; then you have a lot of explaining to do to the psychiatrists, see how are you going to get out of this one when they put you in the bubble.

LKmommy

I don't think that *trying* to commit suicide should be illegal insofar as criminal punishment. However, I DO believe that mental health treatment should be mandatory in most cases of attempted suicide.

I agree mental health services should be sought and mandatory to hopefully prevent that person taking the lives of innocents around them. However, I do not think they should be paid for by taxpayers since it was that "persons right" to try it.