toldailytopic: Should businesses close on Thanksgiving?

Buzzword

Knight said:
You don't work 7 days week anyways do you? I mean you have days off, why not have this day be one of them?

You really don't think I WOULD be working 7 days a week if my employer allowed it?
My wife and I are barely scraping by, and I would LOVE to earn more money by working more.
My employer ARBITRARILY chose days when I would not be allowed to work.

And it's not arbitrary you numbskull. It's to give thanks for what we have.

Things like this help us to be a civil society and improve our overall quality of life.

It is ENTIRELY arbitrary.
It's one day on the calendar no different from any other day on the calendar.

Not to be cliche, but "you should give thanks every day of the year."

I can GIVE THANKS in five seconds while ON THE JOB.

You want to improve overall quality of life?
Kill inflation, lower the price of fixed-cost expenses, and let everyone work as much as he/she is willing and/or able for a decent living wage.

We don't need holidays to improve quality of life.
We need to be able to pay for crap.

Who are you? The Grinch. :chuckle:
Childish quip alert.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that seems to be the overwhelming consensus.

Therefore... generally speaking should businesses stay open or close on Thanksgiving?

Speaking as a mother who enjoys having Thanksgiving with my children, my *preference* is that they close.

However, it's always nice to be able to find an open grocery store on Thanksgiving Day when you realize you forget to buy the sausage that goes into the stuffing. :chuckle:

Wile E. Coyote

Speaking as a mother who enjoys having Thanksgiving with my children, my *preference* is that they close.

However, it's always nice to be able to find an open grocery store on Thanksgiving Day when you realize you forget to buy the sausage that goes into the stuffing. :chuckle:
Every year my wife forgets something and sends me out to the grocery store get it on Thanksgiving morning. I say to her, "You're the reason some people have to work on Thanksgiving" and then I go get it. :chuckle:

Buzzword

Knight said:
I don't judge my quality life so heavily weighted on my financial status.

Probably because your financial status is relatively stable.

Mine is not.

I get to experience happiness in small doses.
I impress my wife.
I get a good critique from my writing group.
I find myself emotionally moved while listening to a song.
I find myself spiritually and emotionally moved while playing/singing a song in church.
I eat food I like.
Etc etc.

But with each of those, when they are completed, my thoughts inevitably return to "But how are we going to pay for everything this month?"

Especially since I'm now a college graduate, and I feel like I SHOULD be able to find a job which allows me to pay for necessities, and then some.

That I haven't in six months of searching, while working the 32 hours I'm allowed to weekly work at my job, kind of prevents any heavy-duty "quality of life."

Do I need a big house? No.
Do I need multiple cars? No.
Would I be perfectly fine living in an apartment for the rest of my life? Probably.

I would actually be perfectly fine with BREAKING EVEN financially every month instead of having to go deeper into debt to pay for basic necessities.

To return to the actual subject of the thread, for people in my financial standing, arbitrary business closing days are POISON.
I'm healthy, I'm willing to work, so LET ME WORK instead of holding to some archaic notion of what is and isn't proper for the community!

keypurr

Probably because your financial status is relatively stable.

Mine is not.

I get to experience happiness in small doses.
I impress my wife.
I get a good critique from my writing group.
I find myself emotionally moved while listening to a song.
I find myself spiritually and emotionally moved while playing/singing a song in church.
I eat food I like.
Etc etc.

But with each of those, when they are completed, my thoughts inevitably return to "But how are we going to pay for everything this month?"

Especially since I'm now a college graduate, and I feel like I SHOULD be able to find a job which allows me to pay for necessities, and then some.

That I haven't in six months of searching, while working the 32 hours I'm allowed to weekly work at my job, kind of prevents any heavy-duty "quality of life."

Do I need a big house? No.
Do I need multiple cars? No.
Would I be perfectly fine living in an apartment for the rest of my life? Probably.

I would actually be perfectly fine with BREAKING EVEN financially every month instead of having to go deeper into debt to pay for basic necessities.

To return to the actual subject of the thread, for people in my financial standing, arbitrary business closing days are POISON.
I'm healthy, I'm willing to work, so LET ME WORK instead of holding to some archaic notion of what is and isn't proper for the community!

You sound like your living the life I had. I was lucky to get to working mans status. I worked three jobs so I could buy a house and food at the same time. My parents never had a house or a new car. But you and I seems to have some good values to live by and happiness comes from within, so you will be fine my friend.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

keypurr

Thanksgiving is a day of reflection. I would not want to step on any ones right to shop, but I will not be one of them.

Huckleberry

I'm thankful for my minimum wage job. So tomorrow I'll thankfully work on thanksgiving. And be thankful the place I work is open on thanksgiving, so I can work and get ten more hours this week. Especially since I had to take Tuesday off already (not by choice, boss needed to get his hours down).

I'm simply one of those that can't afford holidays. I prefer to eat and have a place to live.

PureX

I'm thankful for my minimum wage job. So tomorrow I'll thankfully work on thanksgiving. And be thankful the place I work is open on thanksgiving, so I can work and get ten more hours this week. Especially since I had to take Tuesday off already (not by choice, boss needed to get his hours down).

I'm simply one of those that can't afford holidays. I prefer to eat and have a place to live.
But that wasn't really the question. No one was asking if you liked being paid and treated like dirt, or not. Or even if you realized that your being "grateful" for being treated like dirt was perhaps part of the reason for your being treated that way. The question was more along the lines of do you think it's right that you should be forced/forcing yourself to work for peanuts on a major holiday while your masters are all at home with their families enjoying the profits of your labor?

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I think Thanksgiving and some other holidays are big days for some businesses, convenience stores, movie theaters, and maybe not so much now, but the movie rental places used to be busy. Hopefully those days are optional or at least at a bonus pay rate.

My bro and I own a business and I hate asking our guys to work on weekends let alone holidays. Most of our guys like the overtime, but it still bugs me. We always take the big holidays off, and usually will make an extra day optional if we can afford the time. This week we have Friday optional.

In a nutshell, if you can let your people take a holiday off, you should.