toldailytopic: Should businesses close on Thanksgiving?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 21st, 2012 09:15 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. Businesses should close for Thanksgiving. They should give their employees the day off to spend with friends and family. If they are going to remain open on Thanksgiving (with the exception of emergency services and law enforcement), they should allow those employees who want the day off to take it and staff the business with volunteers for the holiday.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree Nori.

Yet I wouldn't want it to be a law or anything. I think it's a wise business decision to shut down and honor the holiday. It's good for community and employee relations.

At the same time.... if a business decides to stay open I do not support employees who attempt to hurt the business by pressuring them to close. It's possible the business has determined that it needs to stay open on that day.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Should be the business owner's call. I for one would be closed.

In case of emergency it's nice to know Chinese restaurants are open.:cool:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You didn't ask if it should be a law, though. I agree with you on that one. I think that employers should be encouraged by their customer base to close on Thanksgiving. For instance, last year (in southeastern Indiana), Walmart closed at 7 am on Thanksgiving morning and stayed closed until midnight (for Black Friday). This year, they're open for Thanksgiving. My daughter volunteered to work for Thanksgiving so that she could have Black Friday off. They've scheduled her for both days. But, they're giving all employees an "appreciation day" on 12/7, where they get 10% off of everything they purchase in return for working those two days.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Only if the people who own the business want to close down on the holiday (or any other day for that matter).

Its none of the employees business aside from deciding whether they want to continue working for their employer.

And it sure as hell isn't any business of the government.

Personally, if I owned my own business, I'd almost certainly close things down for Thanksgiving but what I WOULD do doesn't equate to what someone else SHOULD do.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Yes, absolutely. For families to be together. However there are 24/7 services that would not benefit from it, yet they'd schedule something so that all their workers would have Thanksgiving time with family and friends.

If you didn't get it the day before, you can it the day after.

From the way back machine I remember when the were a few very favorite restaurants that were open, and virtually nothing else.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
With the exception of emergency rooms, police and fire departments, etc., it should be up the business to decide whether or not they wish to stay open.

Buzzword

Nah.
I know too many people who need the extra money and are willing to work, yet are prevented from working because of holiday closings.

Let businesses be open as long as they have employees willing to work.

I also think every business which employs hourly wage-earners should be open 24/7, as this would create a huge number of potential jobs in order to fill in the new block of work hours, and cater to one another to increase income.
My wife worked nights for a few months awhile back, and she would get off work hungry enough to go cannibal, and only a few places were available (she had an hour and a half commute, so it's not like she could just wait until she got home).

WizardofOz

Up to the business but I think they should stay open on Thanksgiving. I'll be working tomorrow! No big deal. Plan around it and each employee can work their share of holidays.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nah.
I know too many people who need the extra money and are willing to work, yet are prevented from working because of holiday closings.

Let businesses be open as long as they have employees willing to work.

I also think every business which employs hourly wage-earners should be open 24/7, as this would create a huge number of potential jobs in order to fill in the new block of work hours.
You don't see a societal benefit in occasionally stopping and giving thanks for what we have?

WizardofOz

You don't see a societal benefit in occasionally stopping and giving thanks for what we have?

That's what time-off request forms are for. Different people value different days/holidays. Some people don't have a family to spend time with. I'll never discourage a person who wants to work!

Buzzword

I see a societal benefit from employees being able to provide for their families and pay bills.

I see NO societal benefit from arbitrarily closing down when you have workers willing, able, and NEEDING to work.

That's what time-off request forms are for. Different people value different days/holidays. Some people don't have a family to spend time with. I'll never discourage a person who wants to work!

Amen!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I see a societal benefit from employees being able to provide for their families and pay bills.

I see NO societal benefit from arbitrarily closing down when you have workers willing, able, and NEEDING to work.
You don't work 7 days week anyways do you? I mean you have days off, why not have this day be one of them?

And it's not arbitrary you numbskull. It's to give thanks for what we have.

Things like this help us to be a civil society and improve our overall quality of life.

Who are you? The Grinch. :chuckle:

This Charming Manc

The issue is that if you close your business and competitors keep theres open you loose trade and market share.

So owners are scared to close there business, employees are forced to work by employers scared of loosing business share in case an competitor opens and no one in retails gets a public day off.

One of the roles of government to ensure an even playing field and rules of business everyone plays by.

An unfettered markets do not mean a capitalist utopia like the right would like to believe, it usually means you unskilled employees get shafted by greedy corporations and business men sacred of not making enough profit.