toldailytopic: Should businesses close on Thanksgiving?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
God bless all those who have to work today
I hope you get double time
especially the nurses

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, they should not be forced to close. You don't have to endorse a business if you don't like their product. That is the way of capitalism, that the US was based on through its existence. Until now anyway.

PureX

Just because I had it inflicted on me earlier today while trying to take a nap:
Why does no one protest that PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES are made to "work" on Thanksgiving?
I suppose because they are being payed a lot of money to 'play games'. It doesn't seem much like work as the rest of us know it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I suppose because they are being payed a lot of money to 'play games'. It doesn't seem much like work as the rest of us know it.
Yeah; training, exercising, etc. don't seem like hard work at all.

The Berean

It's not about positives or negatives. It's about pointing out what's being overlooked. It's about looking beyond the bias. A lot of people have never learned to consider what's being left out of the discussion, and why it's being left out. Yet that can often be the key to understanding what's really being said.
Do you apply this rule to your self as well? Do you ever take into account your own personal biases?

This isn't a form of social interaction for me. I have friends and family for that. This a form of intellectual interaction, where we share and debate ideas. I try not to respond to personalities, here, I respond to the content of the posts. There's no need for anyone to be offended by anything I write because nothing I write is about them. It's only about the ideas they posted.
Really? Hmmm...Let's see.

I think you missed the part where I was thankful for my job.

You seem to have missed the part where you deserve better. Gratitude is all well and good. I'm an ex-drunk, believe me when I say I understand the power of gratitude! But we need to be careful of what we're grateful for, lest we support our own tormentors.

That's all I was trying to say.

You sure seem to be writing about Huckleberry specifically.

Years ago I was an avid participant here on TOL and I had to quit because I was getting upset and angry and allowing myself to be drawn into the mean-spirited pettiness that some people like to stir up. So I quit participating here for a long time. I'm able to enjoy the forum more, now, without it getting to me, because I ignore personality and focus on content. If that seems cold or 'negative', that's the breaks.
No offense but you come across as a smug know-it-all. You like to "challenge" people and but it seems you don't answer questions if they do not suit you. I don't think you have ever once admitted you are wrong about anything here at TOL. A few months ago I started a thread about my nephew defending himself from a school bully. You made a post basically accusing my nephew of lying about the situation because we all know "that kids lie". So when I posted further detail you never responded to your incorrect assumption.

But how do you know this is really what happened? No offense, but kids lie. What if your nephew was the one doing the bullying, and now is being praised for it? I'm just saying' ... man, it's gotta be tough dealing with kids.

then I responded with this...

Thanks for jumping to conclusions my friend. Can't you you just accept what is and be positive? Must you always be the contrarian?

My nephew is 12 years old and is about 4'8" and 75-80 lbs. In fact he laments that he is still so tiny and his friends are starting to hit puberty growing body hair, putting on muscle, and outweigh him by 40-50 lbs. Shoot, my nephew is smaller than many of the girls in his grade. My nephew is a shy, low key, laid back kid, never been a trouble maker. He loves to play sports and is a good student. He's an exceptional soccer player and plays on several elite club teams. I took him to a college soccer game recently. When I told him if he does well in school and continues to develop as a soccer player he may be able to get a college soccer scholarship. Now, he is even more motivated to do well in school. I know my brother and I have no doubt he told his son if he ever uses martial arts to hurt people on purpose he will face swift and harsh "daddy justice". My brother was in US Army Recon and is now a Sheriff's officer. He's a strict disciplinarian and teaches his kids right from wrong and to always treat people with respect.

Then after I talked to my brother about what happened I posted this.

Ok, so I finally talked to my brother about what happened. My nephew was in the bathroom during recess relieving himself. The other boy comes up behind him and punches my nephew in the back of the head twice. My nephew turns around and the boy punches him in the face knocking him down. My nephew gets up and pushes the kid back. The kid rushes him again and my nephew pushed him back and does a jump front kick to the kids' face almost knocking the kid out. My nephew is concerned that the other kid is seriously hurt and tries to help him but the boy runs off. When the kid's mother came to pick him up she sees his face all beat up. She asks what happened and the boy tells her that my nephew attacked him. LIAR! But two other kids saw the whole thing and when the principal got involved and interviewed all the kids he suspended my nephew for a day and the other boy was suspended for a week. It turns out that the other kid has had issues before. He poked a girl with a pencil and kicked another boy in the groin sending him to the hospital. Why this kid is still in school I have no idea? :madmad: