toldailytopic: Once a person is saved can they reject that salvation should they chan

Throwback

Consider the following texts in their context and what they say about the subject at hand.

I. Romans 11: (which was written by Paul to all in Rome, God’s loved ones who were called to be holy from the nations who had also become the called who belong to Jesus the Anointed.)

13 Now, I want to address those of you who are people of the nations: Since I’m really an Apostle to the nations, I can glorify my service 14 if I can somehow make those of my own flesh jealous and save some of them. 15 Because, if throwing them away brought the world into a restored relationship [with God], what will taking them back mean, other than life for those who are dead? 16 For, if the first fruits are holy, so is the whole lump! And if the roots are holy, so are the branches!17 So, when some of the branches were broken off, you wild olives were grafted in and you became sharers of the fatness of the olive [tree’s] roots. 18 But, don’t cheer because those branches [were removed]; for if you find yourself cheering over that, remember that you don’t support the roots, they support you!19 Yet you can say, ‘Branches were broken off so I could be grafted in’ 20 … and that’s right! They were broken off because of a lack of faith; and you are there instead, because of your faith. But don’t think too much of yourselves… be afraid! 21 For, if God didn’t spare the natural branches, He won’t spare you either.22 So, recognize God’s kindness, as well as [His] willingness to remove. For a fact; those who stumbled were cut off, while you received God’s loving care… but only for as long as you stay in that [good relationship]. Otherwise, you’ll be pruned off too! 23 And if [the Jews] don’t continue in their disbelief, they will be grafted back in, because God can graft them back in again!

II. Luke 8/Matt 13
11 ‘Now, the illustration means this: The seed is the Word of God. 12 Those beside the road are those who hear, but the Slanderer comes and takes the Word from their hearts, to prevent them from believing and being saved.13 ‘Those that fall on the rocks, are those who hear and welcome the Word with joy, but because they don’t have any roots, they only believe for a season. And when seasons of testing come along, they pull away.14 ‘As for those who fall among thorns; These are the ones who have heard, but because of their daily concerns, such as [seeking] wealth and the pleasures of living, they are choked out and fail to produce.15 ‘But [those that fall] on the good soil have good and pure hearts; and after hearing the word, they remember and continue to bear fruit.
18 ‘So now, listen to the [meaning of the] illustration of the farmer who planted: 19 Whenever someone hears about the Kingdom, but doesn’t understand it, the wicked one comes and snatches away what has been planted in his heart. This one was planted beside the road. 20 ‘As for the one that was planted among the rocks; He’s the one who hears the word and quickly accepts it with joy. 21 But because he has no roots, he’s just here for a short time. For, when hard times or persecution come along because of the Word, he’s immediately trapped. 22 ‘As for the one planted among the thistles; This one hears the word, but the concerns of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke-out the Word and he doesn’t produce fruit. 23 ‘But, as for the one planted on good soil; He hears the Word, understands it, and actually puts out fruit… this one a hundred, that one sixty, and the other thirty.’

See the words of Jesus. The Rocky soil received the Word with joy, was "here" as a christian (follower of Christ), then of his own will turned away.

III. Galatians: (written by Paul to the Ecclesia (called out ones) of Galatia)

16 I tell you this: If you keep walking by the Breath, you won’t do anything that your flesh desires. 17 For, what the flesh wants is at odds with what the Breath wants, and the Breath is at odds with the flesh – they are in opposition to each other – so you don’t do the things that you may like to do. 18 And if the Breath is leading you, you aren’t under the Law.19 Now, the things that the flesh does are known. They include sexual immorality, uncleanness, unseemly acts, 20 worshiping idols, involvement in the occult, hatred, quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, divisions, sects, 21 envying, getting drunk, wild partying, and things like that. I’m warning you now as I’ve warned you before, that those who do such things won’t inherit God’s Kingdom.22 However, the fruitage of [God’s] Breath is love, joy, peace, patience, caring, goodness, faith, 23 reasonableness, and self-control… and there are no laws against such things. 24 But those who belong to the Anointed Jesus have hung their flesh on the pole, along with its passions and desires. 25 So if we’re living by [God’s] Breath, then let’s walk in the Breath… 26 don’t be conceited, and [don’t] challenge or envy one another!
Chapter 6
1 Brothers, if anyone is ever caught up in doing bad things, those of you who have the Breath should try to restore that person in a reasonable way, as you keep an eye on yourselves so you aren’t tempted also………… 7 Now, don’t make any mistake when it comes to this: You can’t mock God! Because, whatever a person is planting, is what he’s going to harvest. 8 So, if he’s planting [the desires] of his own flesh, he will harvest decay from the flesh. And if he’s planting things that have to do with [God’s] Breath, he’ll harvest life in the age. 9 So, let’s not misbehave… let’s keep on doing what’s right until that time comes, because we’ll harvest what we deserve if we don’t tire out.

IV. Ephesians 5: (written to Christians as well)
Become imitators of God as His loved children, 2 and keep on walking in love, as the Anointed One loved you and gave himself up for you as an offering… a sweet smelling sacrifice to God. 3 Don’t allow sexual immorality or any type of uncleanness or greediness to be even mentioned among you, as would be expected from holy people. 4 Nor [should you share in] shameful conduct, foolishness, or dirty jokes (which are all unbecoming), but rather, in giving thanks. 5 Because, you already recognize and know that all those who are immoral, unclean, and greedy (which really amounts to being idol worshipers) won’t have any inheritance in the Kingdom of God and the Anointed One.6 Don’t allow anyone to seduce you into using empty words. For, it’s because of things like this that the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience. 7 So, don’t join in with them, 8 because; although you were once dark, you are now light in the Lord. So, keep walking as children of light!9 The fruitage of light is every sort of goodness, righteousness, and truth… 10 things that prove to be pleasing to the Lord. 11 So, don’t share in the unproductive deeds of darkness, but speak out against them. 12 It’s shameful to talk about things that are only done in private, 13 because everything that the light speaks against is being exposed, and all the things that are being made known are the light. 14 That’s why he says, ‘Wake up, you who are sleeping, and lift yourselves from among the dead; then the Anointed One will shine upon you.’15 Therefore, pay close attention to the way you’re walking, so it’s not like those who are foolish, but as those who are wise. 16 Buy time for yourselves, because these are wicked days… 17 don’t be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 And don’t be getting drunk on wine, which leads down an unsavory path. Rather, fill yourselves with the Breath [of God].

V. 1 Thessalonians:
1 Finally, brothers; We ask and urge you by the Lord Jesus, to follow the path of the things you learned from us and to keep pleasing God. Although you’re already doing this, you must do it even more so! 2 You know the orders that we gave you through the Lord Jesus, 3 that; What God wants is [for you] to be made holy and to stay free from sexual immorality. 4 You should each learn how to take control of yourselves in holiness and honor… 5 not in passionate desires like those nations who don’t know God! 6 Nobody should overstep the limits or take advantage of his brother in this matter, for the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we warned you before and explained completely. 7 Why, God didn’t call us to uncleanness, but to holiness! 8 So, you who [choose to] disregard this [warning] aren’t disregarding a man, but The God who put His Holy Breath in you.

- this Thessalonian text contains a warning from Paul to Christian that had the Holy Spirit in them. Paul warns them to stay free from sexual immorality and not to disregard the commandment of God. He tells them that they who have been given the God’s Holy Spirit could CHOOSE to disregard God’s warnings and not stay free from sexual immorality.

- the texts says nothing about being saved, BUT when placed into the overall biblical context consider that repeatedly the writer of this text said the following: Now, the things that the flesh does are known. They include sexual immorality, uncleanness, unseemly acts, worshiping idols, involvement in the occult, hatred, quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, divisions, sects, envying, getting drunk, wild partying, and things like that. I’m warning you now as I’ve warned you before, that those who do such things won’t inherit God’s Kingdom.

-----------------------------

It was my goal to use scripture in the context of where it was written to speak out about those who come to believe in the gospel of Jesus, are "here" in the fold of Jesus sheep for a while, then turn away from the Lord into sin. The texts speak for themselves and what they clearly indicate is the fact that following Jesus and having faith in Him is a choice. It is a choice that can be made, and it is a choice that can be forsaken. As long as the sheep listen to the shephard's voice and follow Him, they are protected and no one is able to snatch them from Him, but should the sheep wander from the shephard and not harken to His voice, they could find themselves in a world of danger.

I have heard the argument that if, "a christian cannot be lost after becoming a christian because there is no way that he could be saved again since Jesus' will not be sacrificed again." This statement deserves attention. In order to address it, I'll just reference what the Bible says a believer who sins must do. See 1 John:

5 And the message that we heard from Him, which we want to announce to you is: God is light and there isn’t any darkness in Him!
6 However, if we say that we’re sharing something with Him and we just keep on walking in the darkness, we’re lying, and we aren’t doing what’s right. 7 But if we’re walking in the light (since He’s in the light), we will share with each other, and then the blood of His Son Jesus will cleanse us of all our sins.
8 Now, if we say that we don’t have any sins, we’re misleading ourselves and there’s no truth in us. 9 But if we admit our sins, He will forgive our sins and wash away all our unrighteousness, because He is faithful and righteous. 10 So, if we ever say that we haven’t sinned, we’re making Him out as a liar, and His words aren’t in us.
Chapter 2
1 My little children; I’m writing these things to you, in order to keep you from committing any sins. Yet, if anyone does commit a sin, we have someone righteous who is our advocate with the Father, Jesus the Anointed One. 2 He’s the sacrifice that begs forgiveness for our sins.

glorydaz

Consider the following texts in their context and what they say about the subject at hand.

I. Romans 11: (which was written by Paul to all in Rome, God’s loved ones who were called to be holy from the nations who had also become the called who belong to Jesus the Anointed.)

13 Now, I want to address those of you who are people of the nations: Since I’m really an Apostle to the nations, I can glorify my service 14 if I can somehow make those of my own flesh jealous and save some of them. 15 Because, if throwing them away brought the world into a restored relationship [with God], what will taking them back mean, other than life for those who are dead? 16 For, if the first fruits are holy, so is the whole lump! And if the roots are holy, so are the branches!17 So, when some of the branches were broken off, you wild olives were grafted in and you became sharers of the fatness of the olive [tree’s] roots. 18 But, don’t cheer because those branches [were removed]; for if you find yourself cheering over that, remember that you don’t support the roots, they support you!19 Yet you can say, ‘Branches were broken off so I could be grafted in’ 20 … and that’s right! They were broken off because of a lack of faith; and you are there instead, because of your faith. But don’t think too much of yourselves… be afraid! 21 For, if God didn’t spare the natural branches, He won’t spare you either.22 So, recognize God’s kindness, as well as [His] willingness to remove. For a fact; those who stumbled were cut off, while you received God’s loving care… but only for as long as you stay in that [good relationship]. Otherwise, you’ll be pruned off too! 23 And if [the Jews] don’t continue in their disbelief, they will be grafted back in, because God can graft them back in again!

Romans 11 is not speaking of individual salvation, but of the Jews being the keepers of the oracles or Covenant of God and it's now being given to the Gentiles. It is now the time of the Gentiles with the preaching of the Gospel of Grace through FAITH.

II. Luke 8/Matt 13
11 ‘Now, the illustration means this: The seed is the Word of God. 12 Those beside the road are those who hear, but the Slanderer comes and takes the Word from their hearts, to prevent them from believing and being saved.13 ‘Those that fall on the rocks, are those who hear and welcome the Word with joy, but because they don’t have any roots, they only believe for a season. And when seasons of testing come along, they pull away.14 ‘As for those who fall among thorns; These are the ones who have heard, but because of their daily concerns, such as [seeking] wealth and the pleasures of living, they are choked out and fail to produce.15 ‘But [those that fall] on the good soil have good and pure hearts; and after hearing the word, they remember and continue to bear fruit.
18 ‘So now, listen to the [meaning of the] illustration of the farmer who planted: 19 Whenever someone hears about the Kingdom, but doesn’t understand it, the wicked one comes and snatches away what has been planted in his heart. This one was planted beside the road. 20 ‘As for the one that was planted among the rocks; He’s the one who hears the word and quickly accepts it with joy. 21 But because he has no roots, he’s just here for a short time. For, when hard times or persecution come along because of the Word, he’s immediately trapped. 22 ‘As for the one planted among the thistles; This one hears the word, but the concerns of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke-out the Word and he doesn’t produce fruit. 23 ‘But, as for the one planted on good soil; He hears the Word, understands it, and actually puts out fruit… this one a hundred, that one sixty, and the other thirty.’

See the words of Jesus. The Rocky soil received the Word with joy, was "here" as a christian (follower of Christ), then of his own will turned away.

That "joy" was the same as pertains to a "jailhouse conversion" it's good news but is not received into good soil and there is no fruit. No fruit means no salvation. Jesus was not saying those were Christians, for many follow for a time and turn away before they are filled with the Spirit and bear His fruit.

III. Galatians: (written by Paul to the Ecclesia (called out ones) of Galatia)

16 I tell you this: If you keep walking by the Breath, you won’t do anything that your flesh desires. 17 For, what the flesh wants is at odds with what the Breath wants, and the Breath is at odds with the flesh – they are in opposition to each other – so you don’t do the things that you may like to do. 18 And if the Breath is leading you, you aren’t under the Law.19 Now, the things that the flesh does are known. They include sexual immorality, uncleanness, unseemly acts, 20 worshiping idols, involvement in the occult, hatred, quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, divisions, sects, 21 envying, getting drunk, wild partying, and things like that. I’m warning you now as I’ve warned you before, that those who do such things won’t inherit God’s Kingdom.22 However, the fruitage of [God’s] Breath is love, joy, peace, patience, caring, goodness, faith, 23 reasonableness, and self-control… and there are no laws against such things. 24 But those who belong to the Anointed Jesus have hung their flesh on the pole, along with its passions and desires. 25 So if we’re living by [God’s] Breath, then let’s walk in the Breath… 26 don’t be conceited, and [don’t] challenge or envy one another!
Chapter 6
1 Brothers, if anyone is ever caught up in doing bad things, those of you who have the Breath should try to restore that person in a reasonable way, as you keep an eye on yourselves so you aren’t tempted also………… 7 Now, don’t make any mistake when it comes to this: You can’t mock God! Because, whatever a person is planting, is what he’s going to harvest. 8 So, if he’s planting [the desires] of his own flesh, he will harvest decay from the flesh. And if he’s planting things that have to do with [God’s] Breath, he’ll harvest life in the age. 9 So, let’s not misbehave… let’s keep on doing what’s right until that time comes, because we’ll harvest what we deserve if we don’t tire out.

An odd translation, but your interpretation of it is incorrect. Those who are saved will have the stubble burned up by the refiners fire, but they, themselves, will be saved. 1 Cor. 13:15

IV. Ephesians 5: (written to Christians as well)
Become imitators of God as His loved children, 2 and keep on walking in love, as the Anointed One loved you and gave himself up for you as an offering… a sweet smelling sacrifice to God. 3 Don’t allow sexual immorality or any type of uncleanness or greediness to be even mentioned among you, as would be expected from holy people. 4 Nor [should you share in] shameful conduct, foolishness, or dirty jokes (which are all unbecoming), but rather, in giving thanks. 5 Because, you already recognize and know that all those who are immoral, unclean, and greedy (which really amounts to being idol worshipers) won’t have any inheritance in the Kingdom of God and the Anointed One.6 Don’t allow anyone to seduce you into using empty words. For, it’s because of things like this that the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience. 7 So, don’t join in with them, 8 because; although you were once dark, you are now light in the Lord. So, keep walking as children of light!9 The fruitage of light is every sort of goodness, righteousness, and truth… 10 things that prove to be pleasing to the Lord. 11 So, don’t share in the unproductive deeds of darkness, but speak out against them. 12 It’s shameful to talk about things that are only done in private, 13 because everything that the light speaks against is being exposed, and all the things that are being made known are the light. 14 That’s why he says, ‘Wake up, you who are sleeping, and lift yourselves from among the dead; then the Anointed One will shine upon you.’15 Therefore, pay close attention to the way you’re walking, so it’s not like those who are foolish, but as those who are wise. 16 Buy time for yourselves, because these are wicked days… 17 don’t be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 And don’t be getting drunk on wine, which leads down an unsavory path. Rather, fill yourselves with the Breath [of God].

Nothing there about losing salvation.

V. 1 Thessalonians:
1 Finally, brothers; We ask and urge you by the Lord Jesus, to follow the path of the things you learned from us and to keep pleasing God. Although you’re already doing this, you must do it even more so! 2 You know the orders that we gave you through the Lord Jesus, 3 that; What God wants is [for you] to be made holy and to stay free from sexual immorality. 4 You should each learn how to take control of yourselves in holiness and honor… 5 not in passionate desires like those nations who don’t know God! 6 Nobody should overstep the limits or take advantage of his brother in this matter, for the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we warned you before and explained completely. 7 Why, God didn’t call us to uncleanness, but to holiness! 8 So, you who [choose to] disregard this [warning] aren’t disregarding a man, but The God who put His Holy Breath in you.

- this Thessalonian text contains a warning from Paul to Christian that had the Holy Spirit in them. Paul warns them to stay free from sexual immorality and not to disregard the commandment of God. He tells them that they who have been given the God’s Holy Spirit could CHOOSE to disregard God’s warnings and not stay free from sexual immorality.

- the texts says nothing about being saved, BUT when placed into the overall biblical context consider that repeatedly the writer of this text said the following: Now, the things that the flesh does are known. They include sexual immorality, uncleanness, unseemly acts, worshiping idols, involvement in the occult, hatred, quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, divisions, sects, envying, getting drunk, wild partying, and things like that. I’m warning you now as I’ve warned you before, that those who do such things won’t inherit God’s Kingdom.

You're right...nothing to do with salvation. It does have to do with whether we suffer loss in this world or if we have a good testimony, but, again, nothing to do with loss of salvation.

It was my goal to use scripture in the context of where it was written to speak out about those who come to believe in the gospel of Jesus, are "here" in the fold of Jesus sheep for a while, then turn away from the Lord into sin. The texts speak for themselves and what they clearly indicate is the fact that following Jesus and having faith in Him is a choice. It is a choice that can be made, and it is a choice that can be forsaken. As long as the sheep listen to the shephard's voice and follow Him, they are protected and no one is able to snatch them from Him, but should the sheep wander from the shephard and not harken to His voice, they could find themselves in a world of danger.

I have heard the argument that if, "a christian cannot be lost after becoming a christian because there is no way that he could be saved again since Jesus' will not be sacrificed again." This statement deserves attention. In order to address it, I'll just reference what the Bible says a believer who sins must do. See 1 John:

5 And the message that we heard from Him, which we want to announce to you is: God is light and there isn’t any darkness in Him!
6 However, if we say that we’re sharing something with Him and we just keep on walking in the darkness, we’re lying, and we aren’t doing what’s right. 7 But if we’re walking in the light (since He’s in the light), we will share with each other, and then the blood of His Son Jesus will cleanse us of all our sins.
8 Now, if we say that we don’t have any sins, we’re misleading ourselves and there’s no truth in us. 9 But if we admit our sins, He will forgive our sins and wash away all our unrighteousness, because He is faithful and righteous. 10 So, if we ever say that we haven’t sinned, we’re making Him out as a liar, and His words aren’t in us.
Chapter 2
1 My little children; I’m writing these things to you, in order to keep you from committing any sins. Yet, if anyone does commit a sin, we have someone righteous who is our advocate with the Father, Jesus the Anointed One. 2 He’s the sacrifice that begs forgiveness for our sins.

No doubt walking worthily is something all Christians should endeavor to do, but we suffer loss here in this life...for a believer will not come under condemnation. Not because of anything we do, but because we have been born of God and washed in the blood of Jesus Christ.

glorydaz

The centurian knew when he saw Jesus he knew who he was dealing with, he said "I say to one man come and he cometh, to another man go and he goeth, to my servant do this and he doeth it..."

He was drawing a simile with who he saw Jesus to be, not an officer in the army of Rome but the great King of heaven.

God's is the only freewill there is, you talk about choice but it is He who gives the choice, if'n He doesn't there is no choice.

But I say to you that man has already chosen...he chose amiss and must die, he cain't choose not to die.

The resurrection to judgement PROVES that freewill is an utter illusion for if we had freewill now we would have it then...it is a gift you say, absolutely essential you say....but no-one will say such stuff on that day God will say "come to judgement" and come they will, they will ALL come.

Wrong, we don't die because of Adam's choices. We all must make that choice to look unto God or not. Jesus gave the example of the serpent on a pole, you'd do well to look there, too.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Wrong, we don't die because of Adam's choices. We all must make that choice to look unto God or not. Jesus gave the example of the serpent on a pole, you'd do well to look there, too.

As by one man sin entered into the world and death by sin so death passed upon all men for that all have sinned...so we DO die because of Adam's sin. Adam was created in the image of God but we read that because of sin he had children in his own image...that is what has been passed on to every generation...sin and death.

I've shown that people only have a choice if God gives them a choice, else they must remain in sin and bondage. The Egyptians did not have the opportunity of looking upon the serpent on the pole, Anakim, the Perizites and Moabites etc...you say they had no need for they were not sick. That's right for they had not a Holy God Jahweh to murmur and sin against only the Jews had a choice...because they chose God?

No because God chose them.

glorydaz

As by one man sin entered into the world and death by sin so death passed upon all men for that all have sinned...so we DO die because of Adam's sin. Adam was created in the image of God but we read that because of sin he had children in his own image...that is what has been passed on to every generation...sin and death.

No, physical death came upon all men because of Adam's sin. Corruption (sin) entered the world at that time. A child does not die for his father's sins...which is why those who have not sinned as Adam did still die physically. Children are counted innocent if they die before they have the knowledge of sin.

I've shown that people only have a choice if God gives them a choice, else they must remain in sin and bondage. The Egyptians did not have the opportunity of looking upon the serpent on the pole, Anakim, the Perizites and Moabites etc...you say they had no need for they were not sick. That's right for they had not a Holy God Jahweh to murmur and sin against only the Jews had a choice...because they chose God?

No because God chose them.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, here, Totton, but all men have a choice.... from Adam and Cain on down the line. The Lord told Cain he could do well or not well....that sin "lieth at the door." Yes, sin came into the world, it didn't come into mankind through Adam. That doctrine of "original sin" is not supported by the Word. Being humans, we live in a body of flesh and are susceptible enough to sin without it being bred into us.

Gen. 4:6-7
And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Dialogos

No, physical death came upon all men because of Adam's sin. Corruption (sin) entered the world at that time. A child does not die for his father's sins...which is why those who have not sinned as Adam did still die physically. Children are counted innocent if they die before they have the knowledge of sin.
Then why do children who are counted innocent die at all? If they do not bear in themselves the penalty for Adam's sin as their federal head, then why do children die?

The scripture answers this, but it is completely contrary to your assertion.

Scripture says that through one transgression came death to all men Romans 5:18.

glorydaz

Then why do children who are counted innocent die at all? If they do not bear in themselves the penalty for Adam's sin as their federal head, then why do children die?

The scripture answers this, but it is completely contrary to your assertion.

Scripture says that through one transgression came death to all men Romans 5:18.

Because when Adam sinned, sin entered the WORLD. All of creation was corrupted by sin. Therefore, even those who had not sinned as Adam did, faced physical death. "Death came to all men," sin didn't come upon all men.

Gen. 3:17-19
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

genuineoriginal

No one merits God's favor. What you claim is works salvation. God needs no help saving those who believe, and He won't accept it, either, so that in the ages to come ALL GLORY will be given to Him alone. There is no room for any boasting, whatsoever, thus the idea of anyone meriting, deserving, or earning salvation is ERROR.

You need to keep the argument straight instead of trying to make a strawman argument you can knock down.

The people that merit God's favor are those that please Him by doing what He said we were to do to please Him. Love Him with all our heart, mind, and strength and love our neighbor as ourself.

God gives eternal life as a reward to those that please Him.

God searches the heart, and if you are pretending to love Him in order to gain eternal life, He will not be pleased. So, there is no way to buy eternal life through your works.

glorydaz

You need to keep the argument straight instead of trying to make a strawman argument you can knock down.

The people that merit God's favor are those that please Him by doing what He said we were to do to please Him. Love Him with all our heart, mind, and strength and love our neighbor as ourself.

God searches the heart, and if you are pretending to love Him in order to gain eternal life, He will not be pleased. So, there is no way to buy eternal life through your works.

Excuse me, but you are the one who claimed our being faithful merits salvation. What He said to do was believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and we would be saved. To say we merit anything is boasting in our works of righteousness. It's not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to HIS MERCY He saves us. Mercy is punishment delayed or forgiven. We have been found guilty, and through Christ's death we are shown mercy for our belief in Him, not by our pleasing God. God was well pleased with the Son....His righteousness is counted as ours when we believe. We can't earn our salvation because it is a Gift...we need only receive it. We can't keep it by trying to add one single thing to Christ's work on the cross. We are not co-saviours with Jesus Christ. He gets ALL THE GLORY, and we get none.

Romans 4:3-6
For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

genuineoriginal

Excuse me, but you are the one who claimed our being faithful merits salvation.
Where in the world did you get the idea that I claimed that we can merit salvation?

I claimed that we can merit God's Favor by pleasing Him, and that God gives salvation as a reward to those that please Him.

1 Thessalonians 4:1
1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.​

Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.​

Colossians 3:24
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.​

Matthew 19:29
29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.​

Romans 6:22
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.​

Galatians 6:8
8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.​

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Apparently William cannot contest what I have said.

Will not is not cannot. I don't know what you are talking about. You would not be the first to say I did not respond (I respond to way more posts than you ever do without falsely accusing you of being unable to respond) when I did, but you did not like my answers.:hammer:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
No it doesn't. Hebrews is one of the best scriptural books to prove the Perseverance of the saints.

Hebrews teaches the possibility of apostasy. POTS is conditional vs unconditional (the Bible teaches POTS, but not as defined by Calvinism).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
This is your strawman which you set up but in setting him up and pulling him down you do not also pull down the truth.

A godless/Christless life is not a saved life...a saved life is a Christ filled life, we are made one spirit with the Lord....so if He can be lost we can be lost.

What is true at time x may not be true at time y.

C.S. Lewis was not always a Christian (former atheist/agnostic) and Charles Templeton was not always an apostate/agnostic (was a Christian).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I think you will find this rebutted by 1 John 2:18-20, in particular verse 19.

Hello. These are different contexts, so don't proof text out of context.

Heb. 3; 6; 10 talks about apostasy/falling away in context. Jewish Christians who knew Christ were reverting back to the shadows/types of Judaism due to persecution, deception, etc.

I Jn. 2 is talking about a different beast, not apostates/falling-away-ones. It is talking about fakes/frauds in the midst of the Church who were never saved. They were not apostates because they did not know Christ and later rejected Him.

A Christian pastor who converts to Islam or Mormonism is an apostate from Christianity if they were once born again.

A wolf in sheep's clothing who was religious, nominal, not born again in the midst of true believers (wheat/tares) is a fake/fraud/counterfeit/pseudo-Christian, not an apostate by definition.

These texts relate to different issues and are not the same context/problem.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

I see you're still trying your best to, work your way
to Heaven! At least your consistent in your belief, I'll
give you that!

You fail, where others, succeed!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Will not is not cannot. I don't know what you are talking about. You would not be the first to say I did not respond (I respond to way more posts than you ever do without falsely accusing you of being unable to respond) when I did, but you did not like my answers.:hammer:
You have yet to respond to this post:

1. Since when have I ever been KJV only?
  2. Faith involves trust, and it not solely belief; it goes deeper than you understand, clearly.

:rotfl:

You trust yourself to continue in faith, do you not? This means you do not trust Him to keep you.

You wouldn't know the facts if they did you like Gadaffi.