toldailytopic: Is Islam a peaceful religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todah

Well, until recent years, Jews were far better off living in Muslim lands than in Christian ones.

I agree. Jews are far better off living in Christian lands today. Jews are in peril and are persecuted and killed in almost every Muslim nation today. Jews emigrate from Muslim countries, and into the United States, and other Christian nations, since the holocaust especially. Jews seldom fled from the Communist, fascist, atheistic nations like Germany and Russia and the Soviet bloc into the Muslim world.

Israel's existence as a nation is protected by Christian nations today, especially the United States, and is threatened and condemned and being attacked from almost all of its neighboring Muslim neighbors.

Our current President with his Muslim upbringing and ties is changing our countries long held policies and friendliness towards Israel.

Great Post Chair, and very insightful. It truly is far better off for Jews to live in Christian nations today, and far worse for them to live in, and around, Muslim nations. I see what you are saying, the more, and more, I think about it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Oh come on, they were actively chased out of European countries. Centuries ago, the only country that could be compared to the middle east in terms of tolerance was Poland.

It is one thing for some individuals to be anti-semitic, and another matter for Muslims/nations to want to kill Jews and destroy Israel.

Last edited:

No Sheep Here

Yes - Just like Christianity, Islam has its share of extremists who are violent or abusive to others and reflect negatively on their religion. The Qur'an has violence in it, so does the Bible. Those extremists are in the minority.
Great response. At least you're not trying to overlook the violent material and violent people in your own religion like most are on TOL.

No Sheep Here

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 8th, 2011 10:33 AM

toldailytopic: Is Islam a peaceful religion?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
I'm almost done reading the Quran. I have found it to contain less violence, and commands for it, than I find in the bible; however, I do see parts that can certainly be used to justify a crazy man's motives, just like in the bible.

For you ignorant Christians who are quick to bad mouth Islam, read the book, and stop being willfully ignorant. If you want to talk about a group of people, or their religion, at least read their book. The news and the minority who represent terrorist isn't a good way to measure anything, or anyone. But it is a great way to become a bigot, like many of you have proven yourselves to be. Especially you godrulz with your Amazon links to books that agree with you, so that you can partake in confirmation bias.

Anyways, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism aren't even in the top ten on a peaceful religion list if we judge based on their text and members.

"If you were born where they were born and you were taught what they were taught, you'd believe what they believe" - Ab

Yazichestvo

It is one thing for some individuals to be anti-semetic, and another matter for Muslims/nations to want to kill Jews and destroy Israel.

Well, the Jewish people didn't have an "Israel" or nation established on European soil. If they had, it may well have been destroyed by its Christian neighbors. The closest thing to a nation embracing Judaism around Europe was the kingdom of the Khazars, and that was destroyed by the Russians.

I agree. Jews are far better off living in Christian lands today.
Yes, *today*, now that the west is secular. What is the reason that living in Europe today is so much safer for the Jewish people than in the past, do you think? Surely you can't credit Christianity with this. Modern Europe is much less religious than medieval or renaissance Europe. It's precisely because the west has become less controlled by Christianity that it has become so much better toward religious minorities.

csuguy

I haven't really studied Muslim teachings much, so can't say. I know that "Christians" have done some pretty horribly things historically, even though it goes completely against Christianity. So perhaps in the same manner violent Muslism may not represent true Islamic teachings.

chair

I'll repeat this again. Despite what is happening today, historically Jews were better off in Muslim lands than in Christian ones.

And for those of you who are ignorant of European history: Germany did not have a monopoly on violent antisemitism. Far from it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I'll repeat this again. Despite what is happening today, historically Jews were better off in Muslim lands than in Christian ones.

And for those of you who are ignorant of European history: Germany did not have a monopoly on violent antisemitism. Far from it.

with statements like this it is no wonder why so many are antisemitic

No Sheep Here

with statements like this it is no wonder why so many are antisemitic
It's a true statement. Dude, you're a Catholic. Jews owe you 100 lashes just because. Get over it, and stop crying. Can you find anything false in Chair's post? I find it to be historically accurate.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It's a true statement. Dude, you're a Catholic. Jews owe you 100 lashes just because. Get over it, and stop crying. Can you find anything false in Chair's post? I find it to be historically accurate.

I have no respect for a Jew who can't tell the difference between their friends and their enemies

No Sheep Here

I have no respect for a Jew who can't tell the difference between their friends and their enemies
I think Jews know their enemies from the past. Too bad you can't figure out why you are an enemy from the past. The present does not represent your religion's embarrassing past, no matter how much you want the world to forget it. Get over it and stop crying.

No Sheep Here

I think Jews know their enemies from the past. Too bad you can't figure out why you are an enemy from the past. The present does not represent your religion's embarrassing past, no matter how much you want the world to forget it. Get over it and stop crying.

Like I said, you can't point out anything false in his post, can you? Truth hurts doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.