toldailytopic: If you were forced to be in a battle-to-the-death game (Hunger Games s

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 1st, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: If you were forced to be in a battle-to-the-death game (Hunger Games style) would you kill to win?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

HisServant

Nope...I know where I am going...I do not know where my opponent is going.

Who am I to play God?.. aren't we to lay down our lives for our brothers?

Tyrathca

Yes. Assuming all other things being equal i.e. I'm killing adult strangers who have no specific special worth above my own (e.g. family, has special knowledge which like the cure for cancer or something, etc) and I can see no viable alternative that results in me still alive.

Why? Simple really. Regardless of what I do or don't do I am trying to choose who lives and dies, so why wouldn't I choose me? Not doing anything and letting myself die is doesn't absolve me from making a decision, it is a decision itself (that I would rather they live and I don't). So therefore if I can't say I would die to save that person then I would not let myself die by not killing them.

Quincy

Yea, I definitely would. I know if I lived in the Hunger Games world I'd probably be a lot tougher and more apt for survival. I'd probably even enjoy the idea of it, fighting for the people in my district and so forth.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Only as a last resort in defending myself. Otherwise, I would *try* to wait them out.

PureX

I didn't see the movie, but i assume that if you win, you just have to fight again. So, if there were no escape from this perpetual violence, I'd rather make a point by not fighting.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Only as a last resort in defending myself. Otherwise, I would *try* to wait them out.
BINGO!!!

That's exactly what I would say.

I would not actively try to hunt, kill, and win. That's murder.

I essentially refuse to play and try to protect myself as I do on a daily basis here in this reality. If another person tries to kill me I have the right to defend myself.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Depends one who my adversaries were. A bunch of decent folks or children? I'd focus on escaping. A bunch of TOL adversaries? I might begrudgingly try to survive.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: If you were forced to be in a battle-to-the-death game (Hunger Games style) would you kill to win?

I think if my opponents are also forced into it, such as it would be here, that makes the issue tougher.

I think my initial reaction to the question as stated is to defer to Rusha.

The Berean

I didn't see the movie, but i assume that if you win, you just have to fight again.
No, if you win you become famous and wealthy. You don't have to fight anymore.

So, if there were no escape from this perpetual violence, I'd rather make a point by not fighting.
In the film this is a little girl, about 10 years old. she knows she can't kill the older stronger youths. So she hides and lets the others kill themselves off as she waits. She actually saves the life of the film's heroine. The little girl is killed before we could find out how she planned to win the Hunger Games.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Didn't see the movie, but I would want to resist such a situation, I'd try not to participate. On the other hand I think if my forced opponent seemed a little too happy with the situation it would hack me off and I'd have to kill him. :)

PureX

No, if you win you become famous and wealthy. You don't have to fight anymore.

In the film this is a little girl, about 10 years old. she knows she can't kill the older stronger youths. So she hides and lets the others kill themselves off as she waits. She actually saves the life of the film's heroine. The little girl is killed before we could find out how she planned to win the Hunger Games.
Maybe she didn't plan to.

I'm very glad that's just a movie, and it doesn't sound like something I'd want to watch.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
While not a fan of the story and having neither seen the movie, or read the book, I find it sad that many people think it is only a movie and have no clue there were books. Public school has produced an illiterate nation.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
BINGO!!!

I essentially refuse to play and try to protect myself as I do on a daily basis here in this reality. If another person tries to kill me I have the right to defend myself.

^This^

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
BINGO!!!

I'll go with your BINGO and what follows.

This Charming Manc

Yeah Jesus weas joking when he said turn the other cheek......

My answers I hope I would but instinct may take over.

BINGO!!!