toldailytopic: Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Tornados, Tsunamis, Lightning, Blizzards, or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 2nd, 2010 11:43 AM

toldailytopic: Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Tornados, Tsunamis, Lightning, Blizzards, or Floods? Which weather threats scare you the most and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Lightning, it can cause loss of electric power and might ruin your electronics. That is bad.

ragTagblues

Can earthquakes and tsunami's be considered weather conditions?

Out of the list it has to be tsunami since I was there boxing day 2004 and the rest don't really effect England.

Actually extreme weather fascinates me.

nicholsmom

Tornadoes, because they are the most horrible possibility for us.
Blizzards can be fun, and we are well-equipped to handle them. Floods? meh, I live on a hill with a nice slope down to a drainage creek.
Lightening is a worry if it hits a tree that could land on our roof, but that's even happened before & it only took a shingle or two and dented in a snow blower. Otherwise it's lots of fun to watch out our big front windows snuggled up with scardicat kids (maybe they're faking to get the snuggles, but I don't mind :)).
Earthquakes are possible, I guess. There is a fault line along the west border of Indiana... Still, not much likelihood.
Hurricanes and tsunamis are downright impossible here in Indiana :p

So yep, tornadoes. One actually ripped the roof off of the house I was in when I was a baby; it nearly killed my mother with her dresser mirror because my big sister was so scared that she wouldn't put her head down to get under the bed with her. That was a big one - tore up lots of houses and a took a big chunk out of the school next door, so it was a good thing that it came through on a Sunday. Scary, unpredictable things, tornadoes.

Still I'm very, very glad that I do not have to worry about hurricanes and tsunamis because those things are monsters! Much as I love the beach, I'll live inland as long as there are such monsters.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Can earthquakes and tsunami's be considered weather conditions?

Out of the list it has to be tsunami since I was there boxing day 2004 and the rest don't really effect England.

Actually extreme weather fascinates me.

Not me; I hate extreme weather; it always knocks me off line, that is a bad thing.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
After Katrina, hurricanes just don't scare me at all. Now, that's probably not wise. Kinda reminds me of that guy in Apocalypse Now, standing there on the beach with mortar shells blowing up all around him, worried about surfing.

But, like that guy, I can't help it. I'm burnt out on hurricane worry. And really, it was pretty fun by the time it was over. The actual hurricane wasn't so bad and the aftermath was more or less just an uncomfortably long camp out that we just hadn't at all prepared for...

Well, okay. It sucked pretty hard. But three weeks into that we had a trio of generators kicking off siphoned gas and three live bands (mine own, included) kicking it in the yard across the street. And about four dozen cases of beer to pass around that we traded with the local grocery store owner some water for. And lots of deer steak, too. There's just something about hurricanes that makes the local deer population want to come to town, I gather. So we managed to balance it all out.

So, yeah. Hurricanes? Pfft.

Tornadoes, though. Those are pretty nasty.

But maybe, again, that's because my first home was a trailer. And I had a tornado drive by down the street not a hundred yards from my back door, just a couple of weeks after I moved in.

I developed a very healthy respect (i.e. terror) for those things right about then. They're kinda like hurricanes, really. Only more compact, versatile...and unpredictable.

Sheesh, I get the creeps just thinking about 'em. :eek:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Tornados, Tsunamis, Lightning, Blizzards, or Floods? Which weather threats scare you the most and why?

Having participated in all of those things at one time or another, I have no fear of them. However, my sense of respect goes up in direct proportion to my proximity to them.

The Berean

Actually, having the Yellowstone Caldera (supervolcano) erupt gives me the willies. :shocked: If it were to happen today life on Earth as we know it would come to an end. :burnlib:

The movie 2012 depicted the Yellowstone Caldera erupting. But they kind of got it wrong. The eruption was way, way, too small as depicted. :noid:

PlastikBuddha

Earthquakes. There's a certain helpless feeling of betrayal involved in hunkering down while the "solid" earth shimmies and shakes like a go-go dancer on speed.
:patrol:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Earthquakes. There's a certain helpless feeling of betrayal involved in hunkering down while the "solid" earth shimmies and shakes like a go-go dancer on speed.
:patrol:

Sure, there are worse things, yet if it will take me out, why worry, it is problems; I do not like problems.:eek:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tornadoes are the most menacing but we don't get them very often where I live.

I was in a large earthquake when I lived in California and it was kinda fun.

Watching the video's of the Tsunami in Thailand are horrifying.

Hurricanes are relentless.

But Lightning has always kinda scared me because it's so random.

The Berean

Tornadoes are the most menacing but we don't get them very often where I live.

I was in a large earthquake when I lived in California and it was kinda fun.

Watching the video's of the Tsunami in Thailand are horrifying.

Hurricanes are relentless.

But Lightning has always kinda scared me because it's so random.
Roy Sullivan was struck by lightening seven times in his life and survived all seven times!

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Tornados, Tsunamis, Lightning, Blizzards, or Floods?
Which weather threats scare you the most and why?

• Hurricanes, we watched Katrina on TV from Ohio, we moved to Houston, Texas and we survived Ike, when are told of the the next one coming we'll move farther inland from Houston.
  • Earthquakes, I remember being in one in Smokey Point, Washington in 1947, to a five year old it is real eye opener and lung screamer.
  • Tornadoes, we have seen a few, not been in one but close, it'll get your heart to racing. I remember the tornado that struck Limon, Colorado at night, what destruction.
  • Tsunamis, from what we have seen, when they said go, we'd be gone, unless there was no warning, then we'd really be gone.
  • Lightning, what a power show, that's enough for me; I don't think I'd see the bolt of lightning that would hit me.
  • Blizzards, we survived several blizzards in Metro-Denver, and Dacono, Colorado, this may sound funny, we were always pre-warned and prepared when the blizzards hit, we miss the fall/winter in Colorado; we went through one blizzard/ice storm in NW Ohio - once was enough.
  • Floods, we remember the Denver flood of 1965, and seeing the aftermath of a city cut in half by the flood and the destruction from the brute force of what flooding can do, it is an object lesson of it's own teaching.

All of the above are forces are out man's control, so which weather threats would scare me the most, the one I cannot out run or out drive from, because that one could be the end for me.​

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Lightning is the thing that has caused the most damage personally so I guess I should say that. Trees coming down. Power outages. Not fun.

If I look to the question in general - tough call. I guess I will say hurricanes because they strong winds with water and potential flooding. It sort of collects the threats of a few of the others.

Blizzards are just the most annoying. :denver: :madmad: :denver:

Aletheia

I haven't had to deal with most of them. And the ones I have don't scare me. Mostly because lightning has never struck anywhere near me and I've only experienced one earthquake in almost thirty years. I've heard of tornadoes in neighboring towns, but I've never seen one. I'm too far inland for hurricanes or tsunamis. And the closest I've ever come to a blizzard is an ice storm when I was a kid. I barely went outside during that.

Thunder's Muse

There are certain parts of Australia that get Hurricanes (usually, the top part) but here in South Aus, we don't really get anything like that. Drought and Bushfires are more likely around here.

Oh, I just remembered, we had a small tremor about 6 months ago...registered 3 on the scale but was pretty exciting, all the same. Adelaide had a big Earthquake in the 1950's that caused a lot of damage but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.