toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth? And how do we know th

Arthur Brain

Neg rep, because you know the real answer can't be more than thousands, with the soft tissue finds in multiple fossils.

Well, if it isn't TOL's resident science expert, oh right, it isn't :plain:

Honestly, why people like you feel so threatened by actual science and an old earth is just mind boggling. Silenceinmotion is not being 'dishonest' in acknowledging generally accepted scientific fact on the matter just as most other theists happen to accept which poses no problems to their faith. Just because you can't prise yourself away from fundamentalist literalist reading doesn't mean everyone else has to be so blinkered.

alwight

Well, if it isn't TOL's resident science expert, oh right, it isn't :plain:

Honestly, why people like you feel so threatened by actual science and an old earth is just mind boggling. Silenceinmotion is not being 'dishonest' in acknowledging generally accepted scientific fact on the matter just as most other theists happen to accept which poses no problems to their faith. Just because you can't prise yourself away from fundamentalist literalist reading doesn't mean everyone else has to be so blinkered.
Repent sucker or I'll give you a neg rep. :mrt:

fool

Hall of Fame
Perhaps the creationists would take a crack at this;
http://www.detroitsalt.com/
The salt that we mine today was created about 400 million years ago. The salt was created as a result of salt water oceans pouring into a huge basin in Michigan, evaporating and leaving huge salt deposits behind in the process.
Not as sexy as dinosaurs for sure. Nobody ever made a movie about an ocean drying up, but it is quite a bit older than the dinos extinction. People pay money to see dinos that are only 60 million years old, that salt rusting out the rocker panels on my truck is 400 million years old and nobody wants to see that.
I guess it's all in the presentation.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps the creationists would take a crack at this;http://www.detroitsalt.com/Not as sexy as dinosaurs for sure. Nobody ever made a movie about an ocean drying up, but it is quite a bit older than the dinos extinction. People pay money to see dinos that are only 60 million years old, that salt rusting out the rocker panels on my truck is 400 million years old and nobody wants to see that.I guess it's all in the presentation.

Perhaps the atheists want to take a crack at this:
microraptor-fossilbigger.jpg

How did this come to be fossilised in the state we found it? What killed it? How was it flattened? Where did the cementing agent come from? Where did the water go? How did it all happen so fast?

On topic, after-all. :rolleyes:

fool

Hall of Fame
Perhaps the atheists want to take a crack at this:

On topic, after-all. :rolleyes:

You take a crack at mine and I'll take a crack at yours. :thumb:
As a spoiler I'm gonna go with whatever the palentologists say about the road kill.
Same as with the salt mine. (in that case perhaps the Saltentoligisistist)
If that's what they're called.
And if it's not who cares? They can't hear me down there.
At least I don't think they can.....

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You take a crack at mine and I'll take a crack at yours.
Check with the rep. :thumb:
As a spoiler I'm gonna go with whatever the palentologists say about the road kill.
How do they answer my questions?
Same as with the salt mine. (in that case perhaps the Saltentoligisistist)If that's what they're called.
Would you have gone with the phlogistonists (if that's what they were called)?
And if it's not who cares? They can't hear me down there.
At least I don't think they can.....
You're talking to me. You believe I listen to you, right?

fool

Hall of Fame
Check with the rep. :thumb:
Got it, tried to rep you back but I have to spread it around some first. (I see Kmo has a post conveiniently located below, he could be the next victim of a random repping)
How do they answer my questions?
In the usual manner I would guess.
I don't know this fossil or it's story but winding up a fossil isn't that hard, lots of creatures have done it.
I'll take a crack;
How'd it get sqush flat?
Fat chick sat on it.
How'd it get buried?
Fat chick buried it after she sat on it.
Where'd the cement come from?
The environment.
Where'd the water go?
It dried up.
How'd I do?

Would you have gone with the phlogistonists (if that's what they were called)?
Nope, wouldn't go with them.

You're talking to me. You believe I listen to you, right?
I know you listen old friend, you and me are a great example of how two guys with totally different views on different sides of this planet can discuss these things and have fun while we do it, it would service the rest of this community to take note.
So,
Help me understand what you think about the salt under My Town and I'll do my best to understand what you think happened to the bird that the fat chick sat on.

Alate_One

Has anyone posted this yet?
Interesting. But I'd like to point out that Eryops (an early amphibian), Pterodactyl (a flying reptile), Nothosaur (an aquatic reptile) aren't dinosaurs O_O

(just cause it has "saurus" in the name doesn't make it a dinosaur)

Also not a dinosaur-> :bowser: . . . . :D

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In the usual manner I would guess.
I don't know this fossil or it's story but winding up a fossil isn't that hard, lots of creatures have done it.
Can you show us one going through the process today?

Nope, wouldn't go with them.
Why not? Because you have hindsight?

I know you listen old friend, you and me are a great example of how two guys with totally different views on different sides of this planet can discuss these things and have fun while we do it, it would service the rest of this community to take note. So, Help me understand what you think about the salt under My Town and I'll do my best to understand what you think happened to the bird that the fat chick sat on.
I'd prefer to talk about this with someone willing to discuss things other than "fat chicks".

But, in short, seas do not leave behind such pure deposits of salt. Dry up the Dead Sea, for instance, and you'll be left with a great thick layer of sludge. Not something you'd want to sprinkle on your bass. :nono:

Alate_One

But, in short, seas do not leave behind such pure deposits of salt. Dry up the Dead Sea, for instance, and you'll be left with a great thick layer of sludge. Not something you'd want to sprinkle on your bass. :nono:

Really . . . .you might want to tell Israel that.

525px-Dead-Sea---Salt-Evaporation-Ponds.jpg
Since the southern half is now used for salt production.

Dead_Sea-18.jpg

Looks like I can crush that up and sprinkle it on my eggs.

Also there's already a salt layer underneath the entire region due to a dried up former connection with the Mediterranean.

The Sedom Formation
deposited from this water-body is exposed at Mt. Sedom where its thickness reaches 2500
m (Zak 1967). It consists mainly of halite, gypsum and minor amounts of dolomite and
chalk.

Source

So again, you haven't a clue about anything, even your supposed strong point.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
there's already a salt layer underneath the entire region due to a dried up former connection with the Mediterranean.
Sorry, but assuming the truth of your explanation doesn't wash. Go take a look at the floor of a salty lake and show me some pure salt.

Man made extraction sites don't count. :rolleyes:

And I believe you have to account for more than a "sprinkling".

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Interesting. But I'd like to point out that Eryops (an early amphibian), Pterodactyl (a flying reptile), Nothosaur (an aquatic reptile) aren't dinosaurs O_O

(just cause it has "saurus" in the name doesn't make it a dinosaur)

Also not a dinosaur-> :bowser: . . . . :D

:chuckle: I posted it because of the song. Not really the slides.

fool

Hall of Fame
Can you show us one going through the process today?
Grab a shovel.

Why not? Because you have hindsight?
In that case yes.
I'd prefer to talk about this with someone willing to discuss things other than "fat chicks".
I'm sorry you feel that way, I was using fat chicks as a generic place holder for whatever squashed the bird if it was indeed squashed, since we were talking about how it got fossilized how it died didn't seem as important.
I don't have the fossil in front of me and have no idea if clues to the cause of it's demise are present, I also don't know where it lived, what it's faovorite color was and if it belonged to any professional trade organizations.
So by all means please enlighten.
But, in short, seas do not leave behind such pure deposits of salt.
Well, the salt we get isn't that pure, kind of a brown color to it.

Dry up the Dead Sea, for instance, and you'll be left with a great thick layer of sludge.
If you have a layer of sludge then you didn't dry it up, right?

Not something you'd want to sprinkle on your bass. :nono:
No doubt.

Shasta

Agreed.

What value is there in laypeople who have ZERO training or experience in paleontology arguing with the findings of experts who have decades of training and experience in the field?

Doing so just screams "I have nothing better to do with my time," especially in the case of conspiracy theorists who think everyone in every scientific field in every country on Earth is somehow plotting to outlaw Christianity.

And if you DO have training and experience in paleontology and you disagree with the consensus, why would you be posting on TOL instead of DOING RESEARCH AND GETTING YOUR FINDINGS PUBLISHED?

Those who study various fields of science often disagree among themselves about even major issues. As more is learned views change. What is scientific dogma one generation may altered or even debunked in the next ... and how all the "objective" seekers of truth who have written all the books, and taught all the classes resist!

Leaving the thinking to the experts is not a good policy for a thinking person in a society where so much information is available. Scientist need to be questioned.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Grab a shovel.
Everything we might find buried is either decomposing or fossilised.

In that case yes.
And if you had not?

I'm sorry you feel that way, I was using fat chicks as a generic place holder for whatever squashed the bird if it was indeed squashed, since we were talking about how it got fossilized how it died didn't seem as important.
What if what squashed it and what fossilised it are intimately linked?

I don't have the fossil in front of me and have no idea if clues to the cause of it's demise are present, I also don't know where it lived, what it's faovorite color was and if it belonged to any professional trade organizations.
You know it was squashed flat and fossilised in good condition. Thus you must conclude that the squashing and the fossilisation happened close together.

Well, the salt we get isn't that pure, kind of a brown color to it.
Yet if you dig up the sludge from the bottom of the dead sea, you get salty sludge.

If you have a layer of sludge then you didn't dry it up, right?
And if you dry it, you don't have salt.

In order to deposit vast layers of such pure salt, the best way to do it would be to suddenly remove the water. Slow processes do not sort the salt from the sludge.

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned
What if what squashed it and what fossilised it are intimately linked?

What if the world is a cube and we just perceive it as round? What if at the center of Jupiter, Zeus is pointing his staff outward where the Great Red Spot is? What if we infinitely finite?

This is what creationist inquiries sound like.