toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth? And how do we know th

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 13th, 2012 12:33 PM

toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth? And how do we know that?

050324_trex_softtissue_hlg10a.hlarge.jpg

Soft tissue from dinosaur bones? How could that be?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

SteveG.

It appears that the "soft tissue" is likely not original to the deceased and fossilized dino but rather more likely an intrusive bio-film of some sort that formed much later. What we do know, however, is that dinosaurs have been extinct for at least tens of millions of years. I don't see any reason to doubt the scientific consensus that, via various correlating dating methods, assure us of an extinction time estimate of around 65 million years ago.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 13th, 2012 12:33 PM

toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth? And how do we know that?

050324_trex_softtissue_hlg10a.hlarge.jpg

Soft tissue from dinosaur bones? How could that be?
I would say a whole lot less than a million years. Perhaps these specimens are more like 4000 years at the very oldest. The animals in these pictures had to be buried suddenly to be this preserved. B actually looks like road kill. Would road kill last millions of years? I think not.

Buzzword

It appears that the "soft tissue" is likely not original to the deceased and fossilized dino but rather more likely an intrusive bio-film of some sort that formed much later. What we do know, however, is that dinosaurs have been extinct for at least tens of millions of years. I don't see any reason to doubt the scientific consensus that, via various correlating dating methods, assure us of an extinction time estimate of around 65 million years ago.

Agreed.

What value is there in laypeople who have ZERO training or experience in paleontology arguing with the findings of experts who have decades of training and experience in the field?

Doing so just screams "I have nothing better to do with my time," especially in the case of conspiracy theorists who think everyone in every scientific field in every country on Earth is somehow plotting to outlaw Christianity.

And if you DO have training and experience in paleontology and you disagree with the consensus, why would you be posting on TOL instead of DOING RESEARCH AND GETTING YOUR FINDINGS PUBLISHED?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

:think: Wellll....There have not been any around in my lifetime so that puts them before 1967...so 45...that I know of.

Yeah...45 :plain:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is a really good topic. Post it to your facebook account if you have one.

Alate_One

I would say a whole lot less than a million years. Perhaps these specimens are more like 4000 years at the very oldest. The animals in these pictures had to be buried suddenly to be this preserved. B actually looks like road kill. Would road kill last millions of years? I think not.

They don't look like roadkill, they look like rock. (Mind you this is a pterosaur not a dinosaur) but it lived during the same time period.

Photographed Under visible light
383px-Bellubrunnus.png

Photographed Under UV light.
Figure_2.jpg

The "soft tissue" is after quite a bit of treatment, this is the original bone.

070412_femur_hmed_12p.grid-6x2.jpg

This is actual soft tissue that is close to 4000 years old.

Ancient-Egyptian-Mummies.jpg

Alate_One

It's generally thought (non-avian) dinosaurs died out at the K-T extinction event, 65 million years ago. As far as I'm aware, no dinosaur fossils have been found in layers younger than 65 million years. That doesn't mean there couldn't have been a few survivors running around for a while.

Here's an exposure of the K-T boundary layer in Colorado.

Of course birds are technically dinosaurs so if you look at it that way . . . I saw a cardinal in my garden just an hour ago. One of these, not so much.

microraptor-fossilbigger.jpg

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth?
And how do we know that?

How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth?

I don't know about walk the earth but I did see one go rolling down the street in the 1980's.​

And how do we know that?

Because I was there and I saw it, it was at the corner of Federal and Speer Boulevards and toward sunset that this huge dinosaur of 1974 Pontiac Bonneville 4 door hard top rolled by.

Knight I sorry for this post, it's been a tough day, and I thought a laugh would do me good.

But in all honesty I've given it much thought, so I'll throw 10,000 years out there.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can't be that long ago when you consider that I found this dinosaur bone

skeleflex-dinosaur-bones-construction-2900-p[ekm]198x300[ekm].jpg

in the same store and not thirty feet from this soft tissue

036000258615.jpg

And that was like a week, week and a half ago. :plain: Too soon?

Memento Mori

Can't be that long ago when you consider that I found this dinosaur bone

skeleflex-dinosaur-bones-construction-2900-p[ekm]198x300[ekm].jpg

in the same store and not thirty feet from this soft tissue

036000258615.jpg

And that was like a week, week and a half ago. :plain: Too soon?

And here's a velociraptor stalking it's prey.

f6cdea5e994c494d0b723ee232fc-grande.jpg

Irrefutable!

Dino's!

Here's a survival guide for you.

We should discuss Raptors more...

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Art becomes science and science becomes art, we have to know what is relevant for us, and for me, I see this being a hard question, in that it contains, 1 the age of man, and 2 the age of the earth, and 3 the age of any other living animal, and 4 do we come from a lower form if life?

Well, the Bible says God made the first man, I know this, but it seems less relevant to me when God made the earth and any animals. What concerns me is that since God made man, the date of the creation of man is not so relevant as the knowing God made us, we did not evolve. The main issue, as I see it, is knowing that God made the first man fully grown.

The days idea may be important, yet I do not think God would have explained all this to man, thus we have a way to know what is needed to be known by those who need to know it. I only need to know man was made by God, not planed to evolve from a lower life form. God did not say man would be saved, not that man could save himself. Why? Jesus, God knows was our Saviour, yet we did not know that until we had a choice to know it.

Anunnaki Secret History on Earth

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What value is there in laypeople who have ZERO training or experience in paleontology arguing with the findings of experts who have decades of training and experience in the field?
Great value - if the layperson happens to be correct.

And if they're not correct, great value. It means we are still free to do so.

Doing so just screams "I have nothing better to do with my time," especially in the case of conspiracy theorists who think everyone in every scientific field in every country on Earth is somehow plotting to outlaw Christianity.
And constantly wailing about it screams, "I wish you'd just shut up and go away". :allsmile:

And if you DO have training and experience in paleontology and you disagree with the consensus, why would you be posting on TOL instead of DOING RESEARCH AND GETTING YOUR FINDINGS PUBLISHED?
Who says we can't do both? :idunno:

We're you interested in an actual discussion at any stage, or are you just here to act like a four-year-old?

It's generally thought (non-avian) dinosaurs died out at the K-T extinction event, 65 million years ago. As far as I'm aware, no dinosaur fossils have been found in layers younger than 65 million years. That doesn't mean there couldn't have been a few survivors running around for a while.
Instead of parading a pile of assertions, how about you take a shot at interpreting the evidence:

microraptor-fossilbigger.jpg

How did this bird come to be fossilised in the state we found it? What killed it? How was it flattened? Where did the cementing agent come from? Where did the water go? How did it all happen so fast?

Barbie is still with us. :angel:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It appears that the "soft tissue" is likely not original to the deceased and fossilized dino but rather more likely an intrusive bio-film of some sort that formed much later.

It is known not to be later material, and this has been known for several years.

Agreed.

Neg rep for intellectual dishonesty. Workers in the field made the discovery. I can talk about what they found.

And here are updates.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/05/090501-oldest-dinosaur-proteins.html

The fossilized leg of an 80-million-year-old duck-billed dinosaur has yielded the oldest known proteins preserved in soft tissue—including blood vessels and other connective tissue as well as perhaps blood cell proteins—a new study says.

The research was led by the team behind the controversial 2007 discovery of protein from similar soft tissues in 68-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex bones.

It was not a one-hit wonder," said John Asara of Harvard Medical School, who led the protein-sequence analysis.

Here is the rebuttal laid out to drive by story shooting where they just made up the claim it isn't soft tissue and see if it would stick.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/321/5892/1040.3.full

And finally from the update...

"it is much bigger news than [the confirmed discoveries of blood vessels and other connective tissues in] this paper," said Pavel Pevzner, a computational biologist at the University of California, San Diego, who was not involved in the new research.​