toldailytopic: Do you support or oppose tightening gun control laws in USA?

lifeisgood

Jer. 17:9 -- The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? That is what needs to be changed, the heart.

More gun laws is not going to resolve anything. We don't have enough gun laws already?

Doormat

However I feel and am much safer, and no less free(apart from the freedoms to shoot and be shot) in the UK.

You live on an Island, literally.

The U.S. couldn't keep illegal guns from entering the country from Mexico and Canada, just like it can't with illegal drugs.

Doormat

I can appreciate that US is different when it comes to the culture surrounding guns and the deep rooted idea of guns for self defense. What I do not get is why civilians needs to be able to buy assault rifles and sniper rifles that were designed to disable vehicles.

Because people in the U.S. never want to be invaded, like Norway was by the Germans.

There was also spirited defense at other locations, including Midtskogen, Hegra and Narvik but these were largely the result of improvised missions by isolated military units and irregular volunteers. The battles slowed down the German advance by several days, allowing the Norwegian government to evade capture and conduct critical constitutional business.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So not a single bit of gun control legislation you can possibly in any situation imagine prevents a single crime. Ever. Is that what you're saying?

It took me more time to buy a couch this spring than it did to buy a .38. I'm sorry, but something is wrong with that picture.
So, of the restrictions that have heard proposed which of them make sense to you?

This Charming Manc

Currently I am sure illegal/formerly legal guns move from the US to both Canada and mexico, as you have the largest supply of domestic guns than anywhere else by a country mile.

Is that a reason to make drugs legal also ?

You live on an Island, literally.

The U.S. couldn't keep illegal guns from entering the country from Mexico and Canada, just like it can't with illegal drugs.

Doormat

Currently I am sure illegal/formerly legal guns move from the US to both Canada and mexico, as you have the largest supply of domestic guns than anywhere else by a country mile.

That may be, but my point is that the U.S. would not be able to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals due to both borders.

Is that a reason to make drugs legal also ?

How does that follow? :idunno:

This Charming Manc

Ok your 60 years to late to be worried about the Germans, are you worried the Canadians are massing there moose in large formations near the border?

What earth shattering superpower is there that the US Military cant deal with, that you think you and your gun is going to save America from?

I think the threat which kills 20,000 americans each year now, should me more pressing than the need for citizens to armed with military style weapons in case the Germans invade.

and before you say but the chinese......

if they have successfully dealt with your nuclear arsenal, the navy, your air force, your army and the marines. I suggest not going out to face them with a single shot automatic rifle.

Because people in the U.S. never want to be invaded, like Norway was by the Germans.

This Charming Manc

That may be, but my point is that the U.S. would not be able to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals due to both borders.

it would severely reduce the volumes and quality of the weapons available to criminals

How does that follow? :idunno:

I am suggesting that you try to ban drugs even though you cant stop them getting in, no guarentee of success does not mean its the right thing to try.

we have very similar problems with drugs getting into the UK, wea

Doormat

it would severely reduce the volumes and quality of the weapons available to criminals

My guns are not available to criminals.
Gun owners who own many guns keep them locked in safes.

I am suggesting that you try to ban drugs even though you cant stop them getting in, no guarentee of success does not mean its the right thing to try.

The drugs we are discussing are illegal.
The guns we are discussing are legal.

oatmeal

If you use the "criminals will still have guns" argument, then why bother making ANYTHING illegal? People will still break the law!

The bottom line is it should be more difficult, require more training and background checking to own a firearm, period.

Making weapons more difficult to obtain will cut down on shootings, it won't eliminate them. But when has 100% elimination been the goal of ANY law?

Murder is illegal, no matter what the method.

Kitchen knives, poison, automobiles, rolling pins, tire irons, rocks, baseball bats have all been used to murder people.

Why are not you working on banning all the above?

Because rolling pins and automobiles and kitchen knives are not the problem, it is the evil that people let into their minds and then let fester is the problem.

People who choose to do evil are the problem and the society that coddles them.

The punishment needs to fit the crime and it needs to happen swiftly.

Murder should always be a capital offense.

All murders, rapes, kidnappings, robberies, you name are done by people who are insane to some degree.

Insanity should never be a plea.

Only you are in charge of what your mind thinks.

If you let your mind go where it starts thinking murder, then you are the problem.

Control your thinking.

oatmeal

Doormat

Ok your 60 years to late to be worried about the Germans, are you worried the Canadians are massing there moose in large formations near the border?

When I was in the military we trained to fight Russians, and that was only a little over two decades ago.

What earth shattering superpower is there that the US Military cant deal with, that you think you and your gun is going to save America from?

The U.S. military couldn't stop two planes from being crashed into the World Trade Center buildings on a sunny day.

I think the threat which kills 20,000 americans each year now, should me more pressing than the need for citizens to armed with military style weapons in case the Germans invade.

"Remarkably, guns are used for self-defense more than 2 million times a year, three to five times the estimated number of violent crimes committed with guns." - Gun Control Myths and Realities

and before you say but the chinese......

if they have successfully dealt with your nuclear arsenal, the navy, your air force, your army and the marines. I suggest not going out to face them with a single shot automatic rifle.

The government of Norway would have been lost with you in charge of the resistance. Learn from history. There are some repeating themes.

Alate_One

Murder is illegal, no matter what the method.

Kitchen knives, poison, automobiles, rolling pins, tire irons, rocks, baseball bats have all been used to murder people.

Why are not you working on banning all the above?

Use your brain.

Weapontypes2008-630_4.gif

Again. It's about ease of use. We don't ban or regulate everything that COULD maybe, in some strange circumstance be used to kill someone.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The two restrictions I keep hearing proposed most are
1. "assault weapons ban" which basically amounts to a ban of semi auto rifles that look like military weapons and

Ban of high capacity magazines

For those who agree that those two restrictions would make any difference in a school/ mall/ theater shooting, what exactly could you accomplish in a gun free zone with a semi auto rifle, that you could not accomplish with a pump shotgun, an ammo belt, and a lot of practice.

xbCjcEO9z1A

Ed Walton

When deer hunting; there is grief when you’re standing over the carcass, of the magnificent animal you just killed. But you get over it quickly while you’re preparing the fine fare; the LORD has provided for your table.

Anyone who’s gone through all the emotions of the hunt; is not likely to be the same person that would take a firearm to terrorize, and kill, innocent folks for their own personal fulfillment.

Legislation will not make a difference.
My opinion: if you want to make a change in a depraved society; take a kid hunting.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When deer hunting; there is grief when you’re standing over the carcass, of the magnificent animal you just killed. But you get over it quickly while you’re preparing the fine fare; the LORD has provided for your table.

Anyone who’s gone through all the emotions of the hunt; is not likely to be the same person that would take a firearm to terrorize, and kill, innocent folks for their own personal fulfillment.

Legislation will not make a difference.
My opinion: if you want to make a change in a depraved society; take a kid hunting.

Amen! I've hunted my whole life, and I think there is a deep sense of love and respect for the Lord when we are presented with one of His creations. We use it to feed and sustain our families, and we are respectful of everything that entails.