toldailytopic: Do you support or oppose tightening gun control laws in USA?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 20th, 2012 10:56 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This Charming Manc

I am starting to see the argument that peace-meal and limited gun control legislation in a country with 250,000,000 guns is futile or even counter productive.

However I feel and am much safer, and no less free(apart from the freedoms to shoot and be shot) in the UK.

Wile E. Coyote

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 20th, 2012 10:56 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
Gun control laws won't change anything.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Gun control laws won't change anything.

I mentioned earlier today that the "why bother" argument is getting a little old...the "whatever, it'll still happen" school of thought probably thinks burglar alarms and deadbolts are prudent.

Alate_One

If you use the "criminals will still have guns" argument, then why bother making ANYTHING illegal? People will still break the law!

The bottom line is it should be more difficult, require more training and background checking to own a firearm, period.

Making weapons more difficult to obtain will cut down on shootings, it won't eliminate them. But when has 100% elimination been the goal of ANY law?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
However I feel and am much safer, and no less free(apart from the freedoms to shoot and be shot) in the UK.
Here's the deal.... this isn't England.

Guns are here. Guns are part of our culture, like it or not (I like it). Therefore when people say... "well in England..." bla bla bla... That's not helpful to the discussion because the USA isn't England. Our culture is different and guns are already here. You can't make them magically go away.

Here in the USA tightening gun control laws will do one thing and one thing only... increase murders committed with guns.

Making it harder for law abiding citizens to get guns and protect themselves only makes it easier for criminals to use guns illegally to commit crimes.

Buzzword

In order to actually make change happen, you'd have to do several things.

1) Use taxpayer money to buy massive numbers of firearms from private citizens, then dismantle them and recycle them for raw materials.

2) Nationalize the weapons industry.

3) Restrict private citizens' ability to buy spare parts for banned firearms.
This last one especially. My father-in-law was able to buy replacement parts for an AR-15, and essentially build a unique custom-job at home using schematics from the Internet.
There are currently no laws (at least in Oklahoma) preventing the home assembly of replacement parts into a working weapon, and no restrictions on the sale of said weapon.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Making weapons more difficult to obtain will cut down on shootings
How horribly naive you are. It's astonishing that you are a full grown human and are so stupid.

Laws that make it more difficult to obtain guns will only effect the those that follow the laws.

Wile E. Coyote

I mentioned earlier today that the "why bother" argument is getting a little old...the "whatever, it'll still happen" school of thought probably thinks burglar alarms and deadbolts are prudent.
Your point about the "why bother" argument would be valid if there weren't already scores of thousands of gun control laws throughout the United States. Gun control laws do not stop crime. They create underground crime.

Your Band-Aid solutions though seemingly angelic are ridiculous because you don't cure disease with a Band-Aid.

bandaid.gif

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In order to actually make change happen, you'd have to do several things.

1) Use taxpayer money to buy massive numbers of firearms from private citizens, then dismantle them and recycle them for raw materials.

2) Nationalize the weapons industry.

3) Restrict private citizens' ability to buy spare parts for banned firearms.
And then....

adolf_hitler.jpg

Granite

Hall of Fame
Your "why bother" point would be valid if there weren't already scores of thousands of gun control laws throughout the United States.

Thousands of locks, too. :cheers:

Gun control laws do not stop crime.

So not a single bit of gun control legislation you can possibly in any situation imagine prevents a single crime. Ever. Is that what you're saying?

Your Band-Aid solutions...

Which solutions of mine would those be? I'll wait.:rolleyes:

There's no easy solution to our situation at all. We are, overall, a violent country. Always have been. There's a heartsickness at work here that we need to fight. With that said, what we're doing now just isn't working. More of the same isn't any kind of solution.

As a gun owner I'm getting really, really sick of other gun owners talking tough about their "rights" and "liberty" when they don't seem to have much appreciation or respect for the self-discipline and restraint inherent to the exercise of liberty, and rights, and the prudence and reason required to be a responsible gun owner.

It took me more time to buy a couch this spring than it did to buy a .38. I'm sorry, but something is wrong with that picture.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Oppose.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I support tightening some restrictions.

Something along the lines of requiring training to be licensed to own a gun, tightening the sales of guns, and potentially more restrictions on the types of guns and magazines, etc. that can be sold.

I don't see how any of those things will prevent law-abiding citizens from obtaining guns for protection or hunting, etc.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I support gun control, I just don't see how you'll make every gun owner an expert shot! :p

Gun control=hitting your target!

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I support tightening some restrictions.

Something along the lines of requiring training to be licensed to own a gun, tightening the sales of guns, and potentially more restrictions on the types of guns and magazines, etc. that can be sold.

I don't see how any of those things will prevent law-abiding citizens from obtaining guns for protection or hunting, etc.
The harder you make it.... the less people will do it. That's just common sense.

The less folks have weapons the less the society will have to combat wicked people. The less we can combat wicked people the more wicked people will harm innocent people. It's common sense, or at least it should be.

Alate_One

How horribly naive you are. It's astonishing that you are a full grown human and are so stupid.

Laws that make it more difficult to obtain guns will only effect the those that follow the laws.

And the funny thing is you'll make the exact same argument I'm making about guns, over abortion. It's astonishing a full grown human such as yourself are so blind to your own hypocrisy.

Most of the mass shootings of the last 30 years were committed by people who obtained their weapons legally. Most guns used by criminals are obtained by friends or family that aren't criminals. If you reduce the amount of guns available you will likely reduce gun violence. It seems to work in other countries. US regulations are currently rather piecemeal and under enforced, that needs to change.

Shown are gun related deaths, homicides and suicides in relation to gun ownership rates.

This Charming Manc

Firstly you banned me for calling someone stupid a gun control argument not 4 or 5 days ago, could that been because it was you ?

Depends of severity of the laws, if the laws are severe enough to significantly reduce the pool of both I legal weapons, that will have an positive effect. Laws like that are just not on the table in the USA at the moment.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The harder you make it.... the less people will do it. That's just common sense.

The less folks have weapons the less the society will have to combat wicked people. The less we can combat wicked people the more wicked people will harm innocent people. It's common sense, or at least it should be.

People will still buy guns. Did you see the graphic in one of the other gun threads that compared guns to cars? To get a car you have to take 2 tests to get a license (and these days kids have to have their permit a lot longer than they used to), register your car, and buy car insurance, and get the car inspected annually. Do you consider that a difficult process? Do you think it prevents anyone from getting a car? Granted, cars are more necessary for day to day life because most people can't walk or take public transportation everywhere so it is a limited analogy, but I do not believe that it would prevent anyone from getting a gun. The hardest part would be the training but to me that just makes sense because of how tragically wrong an accident can be. We are careful about who we let on the roads. It makes sense to me to be careful about who has a gun too.