toldailytopic: Do you support corporal punishment in schools? Should schools spank di

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You can put them in the Chokey if they misbehave!

Miss+Trunchbull+%E2%80%93+Matilda.jpg

sky.

BANNED
Banned
So wait, kids were angelic, non-violent creatures until we stopped spanking them in school?

Do you guys really, honestly, think these issues are really that simple? And is a belt the only way to instill respect for authority?

I think the actual culprit was stopping compulsory prayer.

I pray that my children will not be corrupted by the world that includes everything public.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
So wait, kids were angelic, non-violent creatures until we stopped spanking them in school?

Do you guys really, honestly, think these issues are really that simple? And is a belt the only way to instill respect for authority?

I think the actual culprit was stopping compulsory prayer.

Wow I am stunned you would say this Granite but, I agree with you, I also thought the pledge of allegence was a good thing. I will say that corporal punishment was administered in some of the schools I attended as a child and for the most part kids feared the rod of discipline and respected that authority but, one call home to my father with a discipline problem was wayyyy worse for me than any educator could have ever been. My father would never consent to an educator administering punishment, I think he chose to take care of those problems personally, it seems parental responsibility too has left society by and large, parents do not discipline their kids corporally anymore. Proof: Go to the grocery store or restuarant and watch as parents allow their kids to misbehave without swift justice. I can tell you I would have got it right in the middle of the coffee aisle or at the booth in front of everyone, it worked and it only happened a couple of times after that I knew my parents meant what they said...:chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I grew up with it. Didn't kill me.

Didn't deter me, either. I can remember my conversations with my friends.

"We're going to get paddled for this, you know."

"Worth it?"

"You bet."

Taking it without sniveling, made you points.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

"Worth it?"

"You bet."

Like I said my Dad would not consent to them administering the paddle and chose to do the dirty work himself...wayyyy worse than any teacher could ever do.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will say that corporal punishment was administered in some of the schools I attended as a child and for the most part kids feared the rod of discipline and respected that authority but, one call home to my father with a discipline problem was wayyyy worse for me than any educator could have ever been.
Yep.
That's the way it was.
Get a whoopin' at school, and get a worse whoopin' when you got home.

sky.

BANNED
Banned

"Worth it?"

"You bet."

You're so big.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ummm, yeah, glad you got it "mr. fair and balanced".
I've never claimed to be. I tend to like people until I can't...But I don't have any reason to think he's getting a better treatment than I did and I like him. You remember the two neg reps for my actually publishing another posters remarks, in full. :rolleyes:

Anna thinks you're a good egg. That's good enough for me nine times out of ten, but I'm trying to see it. Or remember it. I though you were prickly but all right before the neg rep nonsense.

Now you just seem needlessly, pointlessly mean a bit of the time. :idunno:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Like I said my Dad would not consent to them administering the paddle and chose to do the dirty work himself...wayyyy worse than any teacher could ever do.

Yeah, the principal didn't scare me. But I was really careful about offending my dad. Still, if I got hit at school, he'd ask; "you deserved it?"

"Guess so."

"Think next time."

He was expelled once, according to my aunt Mary. Two teachers tried to paddle him, but weren't quite up to the job, she said. So I guess he thought what I did was pretty tame.

You're so big.

I thought so at the time. "Tough it out, be a man." Although, in a sense, it prepares you for the world. I grew up where things weren't so nice, and my dad used to say "when you grow up, you'll learn no one cares about you but your family." So I didn't expect much decency from the world, until I learned that there were better places and better people.

oatmeal

With parents pre approval, yes.

However, the responsibility of rearing and teaching and training children is completely and solely on the parents.

If parents are going to send their children to school, they should be cognizant of what their children are doing in school.

oatmeal

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't understand how it would play out at school. What would they have some sort of "spanking room"? what kind of weapon should we let the teachers use? Not to mention the emotional abuse of child returning from the "spanking room" to a class only to carry on as if they had not just been totally violated by someone in public.

It's called a hallway! It is private because it is done when the other kids are in class. The device is called a paddle. Also known as the board of correction. It spreads the sting over the entire backside so there is no lasting injury.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No. I don't think that public or private schools should have that kind of authority. If the kids misbehave, call the parents to the school to spank the kids.

i agree that they should be spanked but not by the school employees also - i think it should happen at the school though like you, and parent/guardian needs to go do it there with the principle/school authority in charge present.

If the parent refuses, i think the child should be suspended. Enough suspensions will rid the school (and of course peers foremost) of those who cause the trouble and whose parents refuse to discipline their kids and reign it in.

Dena

If the parent refuses, i think the child should be suspended. Enough suspensions will rid the school (and of course peers foremost) of those who cause the trouble and whose parents refuse to discipline their kids and reign it in.

So if I refused to hit my child they would be suspended? That seems unfair. Shouldn't I be permitted to discipline my child the way I see fit and based on what I as the parent know about their history and character? Each child is different.