toldailytopic: Do you support corporal punishment in schools? Should schools spank di

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No. The potential for abuse, and the damage it does is not worth the dubious benefit that might be gained.
I disagree.

And I believe history is on my side. Back in the day when there was corporal punishment in school children had much more respect for their teachers, and fellow students.

In todays modern "civil" society we have monsters molesting and murdering each other all while showing ZERO respect to authority in and out of school.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I disagree.

And I believe history is on my side. Back in the day when there was corporal punishment in school children had much more respect for their teachers, and fellow students.

In todays modern "civil" society we have monsters molesting and murdering each other all while showing ZERO respect to authority in and out of school.

Not to nitpick but that's not exactly a new phenomenon. And explaining all of this away with "spank them" ignores a lot of other factors at work.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I disagree.

Back in the day we didn't keep in the classroom students who didn't belong there.

Disruptive students who could not be made to behave were removed.

Not so much today.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Back in the day we didn't keep in the classroom students who didn't belong there.

Disruptive students who could not be made to behave were removed.

Not so much today.

They can be removed through expulsion after exhausting all of the written rules. Then comes "school of choice".

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I just wonder how Knight would react if his child got spanked for making fun of a homosexual? :chuckle:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They can be removed through expulsion after exhausting all of the written rules. Then comes "school of choice".

Some students enjoy that ... getting expelled so they can be homeschooled.

PureX

I disagree.

Yeah, back in the fantasy "good old days" things were different. Or perhaps they weren't, and we just swept everything under the rug and pretended things were different.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Some students enjoy that ... getting expelled so they can be homeschooled.

I don't know about that. In our area a lot of the parents use "school of choice" so that they can freely move their child to another public school so that he can have a clean record, or continue his education.

99lamb

No on the paddle.
kids who are discipline problems should be dealt with, and removed from schools, that deem their disruptive presence a hindrance to others.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Do you support corporal punishment in schools? Should schools spank disobedient children?

Yes.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No. I'll discipline my child and I've found (at least so far) that he responds to being deprived of privilege (time outs) well enough to make the rod unnecessary. My older brother reared his daughter that way and she turned out wonderfully enough.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
How about tasers?

Yes.

Forget the paddles and the spankings. All teachers should carry tasers and should have to tase unruly children/teens.

That would have made my school years so much more peaceful...:cloud9:

Edit: If anyone thinks that this is too cruel, I'd like to point out that, to my knowledge, police offers first have to be tased themselves before they themselves can use tasers. If it's good enough for police officers, it's good enough for unruly children/teens.

Alate_One

Yeah, back in the fantasy "good old days" things were different. Or perhaps they weren't, and we just swept everything under the rug and pretended things were different.

I went to a school where corporal punishment was permitted for my elementary education. At times it was administered properly, at others it was administered for what I would consider to be relatively minor infractions. (Granted, my personal experience was limited to two times)

Based on my experience, I don't think it is a good idea to allow corporal punishment in most situations, it's too easily misused. I think it could be beneficial if properly carried out, but the line between appropriate and inappropriate is pretty narrow. It is just something that's too easy to mess up and best left to parents that desire that kind of discipline.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 11th, 2013 09:42 AM

toldailytopic: Do you support corporal punishment in schools? Should schools spank disobedient children?

As unpleasant as the prospect of corporal punishment is, it is much preferable to having kids disrespect their teacher and even bring weapons to school for the purpose of shooting other students. Things have gotten way out of hand since corporal punishment has been removed. Students don't respect their teachers or other authority figures anymore. A good paddling for misbehavior hurts a kid a lot less than letting them run around and do anything they want.

Granite

Hall of Fame
So wait, kids were angelic, non-violent creatures until we stopped spanking them in school?

Do you guys really, honestly, think these issues are really that simple? And is a belt the only way to instill respect for authority?

I think the actual culprit was stopping compulsory prayer.