toldailytopic: Do you believe in destiny?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 18th, 2012 08:45 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe meshak is destined for a lifetime of stupidity.

Barakah

I believe in destiny in the sense of meant to be, but not as a divine order to the universe. God created this universe for souls to be separate and self-determined.

Thus the universe is chaotic and replete with tragedy. But destiny, God's will, calls to each of us, and we can follow it or not.

"You were born into this time. You were born for this time. It is your destiny to be here, to learn of these things. It is your destiny to receive these words. It is your destiny to discover the New Revelation."

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
As in fate? No. Terminator got it wrong. As in does God have a plan for your life? Yes. We were created to abide in him (Jn 15:4). Curly from City Slickers got it right (Jn 14:6).

nw29436t2-43u2-qt.jpg

Last edited:

TruthSetsFree

if you ask God "What do you want me to do?"

your destiny will be different than if you ask yourself: "What do i need/want to do"

Dena

No. I don't believe in destiny nor do believe there is any sort of particular plan for any of us.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It really depends on which definition of destiny one is using.

I believe people can have destinies, as in plans for their life, but they can ignore them if they so choose. But I do not believe in fate.

But I do believe that once someone is saved they are destined for Heaven and nothing will, or even can, change that.

I believe in destiny in the sense of meant to be, but not as a divine order to the universe. God created this universe for souls to be separate and self-determined.

Thus the universe is chaotic and replete with tragedy. But destiny, God's will, calls to each of us, and we can follow it or not.

"You were born into this time. You were born for this time. It is your destiny to be here, to learn of these things. It is your destiny to receive these words. It is your destiny to discover the New Revelation."
If this is a Bible verse, which one is it and which version, because I can't seem to find it.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Destiny as defined in Webster's dictionary:
1: something to which a person or thing is destined--fortune.

2:
a predetermined course of events often held to be an irresistible power or agency.

A person pretty much determines what his future is through the choices he makes. If he makes poor choices such as worshiping a false god or not following God at all, then his future is pretty dim. If the individual make wise choices, such as choosing to follow Christ, then his future is very bright. Both definitions of 'destiny' are fabrications from the human imagination. It sounds romantic, but it has no basis in reality.