toldailytopic: Do false predictions of end times affect the cause of Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graceandpeace

I doubt that this has done much in the minds of non-Christians because it isn't any crazier to us than the rest of what you believe.

A fool has said in his heart, there is no God, while a fool also says in his heart, the Lord shall return on such and such a date. Works of the fleshly heart always has had the same source: FOOOLISHNESS.

The devil has sown unbelieving tares amonst the true believers, and the works of the flesh will be manifest by those whom follow them, and uphold their fleshly desires.

badp

toldailytopic: Do false predictions of end times affect the cause of Christ?[/b][/SIZE][/box]

Jesus Christ is the Rock of Offense and the Stumblingstone, but we do not need to place additional stumblingblocks in the way of unbelievers. Falsely claiming the end times when the Bible is very clear that we do not know when the end will be not only discredits our witness, but it gives unbelievers yet another excuse to latch onto to reject God.

Jesus said those who stumble over Him will be broken. Those who stumble over other blocks we put in the way will not be broken, but hardened.

Lithopaedion

A fool has said in his heart, there is no God,...

Matthew 6:22: ...and whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of the hell of fire.

So if you're inferring that I'm a fool, I'm inferring that you'll be right there with me in the lake of fire. Bring the brats and beer, people, it's gonna be hot! :devil:

- Lith

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Matthew 6:22: ...and whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of the hell of fire.
:poly: Your quote is actually from Matthew 5 and it speaks about the communication between brothers. You stand outside of the Body, which is why the "fool has said" quote isn't nonsensical/inapplicable and your point is an errant attempt at mockery.

Better luck and closer attention next time. :D

:e4e:

alwight

:poly: Your quote is actually from Matthew 5 and it speaks about the communication between brothers. You stand outside of the Body, which is why the "fool has said" quote isn't nonsensical/inapplicable and your point is an errant attempt at mockery.

Aren't you being a bit of a Bible Nazi here TH, has it really come to this? :(

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Aren't you being a bit of a Bible Nazi here TH, has it really come to this? :(
Gee, al, was that all I wrote? :plain: I thought it was one part of a series of errors I noted. In that context it wasn't so much nit picking as watching a snowball and noting its chances.

He's sloppy. :D

Lithopaedion

I'm sorry about a typo.

Your confidence in your ability to interpret so exactly what thousands of others fail to agree on remains as wondrous as the feeding of the masses. I wouldn't say, "Bible Nazi", although your tone is rather pedantic.

Back on subject here: How is what Camping preached any weirder than the long catalogue of weird stuff that millions of mainstream Christians believe?

- Lith

alwight

Gee, al, was that all I wrote? :plain: I thought it was one part of a series of errors I noted. In that context it wasn't so much nit picking as watching a snowball and noting its chances.

He's sloppy. :D
By all means then TH do write other stuff, amaze us with your intellect and word-craft.
;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Your confidence in your ability to interpret so exactly what thousands of others fail to agree on remains as wondrous as the feeding of the masses.
That's an interesting generalization. Any particular legs to it? Else, I suppose I'll have to answer "beans" in the meanwhile. :D

I wouldn't say, "Bible Nazi", although your tone is rather pedantic.
I was shooting for sarcastic. :plain: A bit like beauty, I suppose.

Back on subject here: How is what Camping preached any weirder than the long catalogue of weird stuff that millions of mainstream Christians believe?
Weird? That's another term to that's more about the sensibility of the user than anything else. But I answered you on why Camping's error was unlike, say, a miraculous event and more like a palm reader.

Last edited:

Squishes

Rather, the miraculous events noted in the New Testament (some events occurred on more than one occasion) were set out to establish authority in the time of Christ and his apostles. In the OT to distinguish among men between disparate claims and to fulfill prophesy toward that end.

Fair enough. Obviously a background story that entails miraculous intervention is better than one without, but those interventions can only be as reasonable (and seem to be necessarily less certain as) those background beliefs (i.e. God exists, etc). But I think Christianity in particular has to make a bigger jump from:

"God exists"
to:
"What the Bible records is true"

The first belief is probably a bit of a wash; there are deep anthropological reasons to believe in God (and Newtonian mechanics). I think in the end it is unreasonable to believe that the Christian God could exist because the amount and kind of evil that exists, but we can let that go.

If belief in God is reasonable, then it is not overwhelmingly so. But then it is even less reasonable to believe "What the Bible records is true". And I submit that supernatural worldview that is entailed by believing "What the Bible records is true" has implications for what we should see now. But since we do not come into contact with angels, and people do not talk to God (he may be there but he certainly is silent), then it is a reductio for your belief that what the Bible records is true. Thus:

Yes, but why ask about the window treatments when the issue is the foundation?

Because the existence of angels is entailed by the Biblical worldview. You can either try to discern whether the Biblical set of beliefs is true, or you can test whether what the Biblical set of beliefs implies about the world we live in. The absence of Biblical-type events is evidence that the worldview is false.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Fair enough. Obviously a background story that entails miraculous intervention is better than one without,
And a true story would be related factually, to note the other side of it.

but those interventions can only be as reasonable (and seem to be necessarily less certain as) those background beliefs (i.e. God exists, etc).
Which is no more or less reasonable than the alternative.

But I think Christianity in particular has to make a bigger jump from:

"God exists"
to:
"What the Bible records is true"
Yes and no. That is, it depends on what you're aiming for. The Christian has what any man can claim, his own subjective experience and the belief that follows.

The first belief is probably a bit of a wash;
If by that you mean an either/or, sure.

there are deep anthropological reasons to believe in God (and Newtonian mechanics). I think in the end it is unreasonable to believe that the Christian God could exist because the amount and kind of evil that exists, but we can let that go.
Then I'd say you have a flawed understanding of my God and your conclusion follows it.

If belief in God is reasonable, then it is not overwhelmingly so.
Absent the experiential no belief is; after it, the point is moot.

But then it is even less reasonable to believe "What the Bible records is true".
An empty statement given it is not first unreasonable to believe in God. Else, supra...

And I submit that supernatural worldview that is entailed by believing "What the Bible records is true" has implications for what we should see now.
Any context has implications. How we view their impact depends on our choice, doesn't it.

But since we do not come into contact with angels,
Oh, you never really know. Hebrews 13:2

and people do not talk to God (he may be there but he certainly is silent),
In this you're like the deaf describing opera to a devotee. The faithful differ. I relate to God daily, feel His influence in my person and circumstance. I met Him in my second year of law school and He altered the course of my life...now you don't have to believe me, or believe what I experienced was more than some aberration that marked me in a particular, leaving the rest, my faculties in every other respect undiminished, but you can't speak to the truth of my experience, only speculate from some distance.

Because the existence of angels is entailed by the Biblical worldview.
It's an echo of the greater truth and argument and pointless absent it.

You can either try to discern whether the Biblical set of beliefs is true, or you can test whether what the Biblical set of beliefs implies about the world we live in.
Done and done. And I'm satisfied on either count.

The absence of Biblical-type events is evidence that the worldview is false.
Rather, your assumption regarding it is flawed. The conversion/salvation and relation of men to God is the central and recurring event at the core of Biblical truth and it occurs with some frequency and has since Christ died and rose, your skepticism notwithstanding.

Lithopaedion

Which is no more or less reasonable than the alternative.

There we must disagree. It isn't just a coin toss. Before Darwin, that might have been the case. Since Darwin, we have a workable model for how things got to be the way they are. "Reasonable" will usually include some sort of acknolwedgement of Occam's razor. So belief in God becomes superfluous for explaining data and hence not as reasonable as not believing in God.

Then I'd say you have a flawed understanding of my God and your conclusion follows it.

...or you have a flawed understanding of what anthropology, religion studies and psychology can tell us about belief systems.

Absent the experiential no belief is; after it, the point is moot.

Except that it is impossible to directly experience the attributes of God as described by believers. You can experience something very powerful, but not infinitely powerful. You can experience something wise, but cannot experience the all-knowing.

On believing what the Bible says is true:
An empty statement given it is not first unreasonable to believe in God. Else, supra...

No. Even if we accept that there is a God, it is a HUGE leap to believe that the Bible is a record of Him/It/Her. Indeed, if we take the attributes of God as typically described by believers such as omnicient, benevolent, omnipotent, etc. - then the Bible is arguably unrelated to any such being. It contradicts God. Or we have to twist, wiggle and dance with the language and make "benevolent" include genocide, caprice and human sacrifice. We have to made omnicience include changing one's mind. We have to believe in advance, instead of determining based on observation what to believe.

Added to this is the offering of alternative versions of God. Even if we accept the belief in God, God could just as well be the Muslim or Hindu version or we could make up our own supernatural thing to believe in.

On what we observe now and its relation to whether the Bible is true:
Any context has implications. How we view their impact depends on our choice, doesn't it.

Right. You can choose to ignore contradictory evidence.

Oh, you never really know. Hebrews 13:2

Right. You never know. You just assume some are angels. But it could just as well be that the people you welcome into your home are not angels from the Christian context, but elves from the Land of Wonder in some other religious system. Or they could all just be normal people.

There is no testable, falsifiable evidence for angels, so it is not reasonable to believe in them, barring a perponderance of social-psychological reinforcement.

In this you're like the deaf describing opera to a devotee. The faithful differ. I relate to God daily, feel His influence in my person and circumstance. I met Him in my second year of law school and He altered the course of my life...now you don't have to believe me, or believe what I experienced was more than some aberration that marked me in a particular, leaving the rest, my faculties in every other respect undiminished, but you can't speak to the truth of my experience, only speculate from some distance.

What if someone told the same story, but it was about Vishnu? Or Allah? I would never deny that you experienced something. It is entirely reasonable to doubt that it has anything to do with a reality external to you that is related in any but the most tangental way to supernatural beings told about in a collection of iron age texts.

Rather, your assumption regarding it is flawed. The conversion/salvation and relation of men to God is the central and recurring event at the core of Biblical truth and it occurs with some frequency and has since Christ died and rose, your skepticism notwithstanding.

Is this belief falsifiable? Is any event - real or imagined - even thinkable that would not fit into this scenario?

For anything I believe, I can conceive of, make up, imagine evidence that would contradict it. Can you?

If not, then all talk of evidence or experience or what is "reasonable" is pointless. It is simply faith. If so, bring it on.

- Lith

Lithopaedion

Weird? That's another term to that's more about the sensibility of the user than anything else. But I answered you on why Camping's error was unlike, say, a miraculous event and more like a palm reader.

He made the error of making a testable claim. That is where religions run afoul. But if many of the standard Christian beliefs could be tested - if we could go back and observe what happened, for example - the results would be similar. We can't prove this, but the reasoning becomes instantly accessable when we simply apply our experience to other religions. Did Hanuman really fly to Lanka? Did he change sizes in order to fly through Sursa's ear? We can't prove he didn't but it is for the non-Hindu immediately obvious that this never happened. Any non-Christian knows, by the same mechanism, that changing water to wine or casting demons into pigs or cursing fig trees to death almost certainly never happened.

If we assume a God exists, then these kinds of things become more possible, but it is still not at all clear which incidents are true and which aren't, which religion or religions most likely describe the supernatural, etc.

- Lith

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There we must disagree. It isn't just a coin toss.
Then you don't understand probability. It absolutely is. Neither the notion of God or the notion of being absent God are any more or less reliant on an undemonstrable assumption. That's just the long and short of it.

Before Darwin, that might have been the case. Since Darwin, we have a workable model for how things got to be the way they are.
Darwin's theory has absolutely no bearing on the question of ultimate origin.

"Reasonable" will usually include some sort of acknolwedgement of Occam's razor.
Which also doesn't support either claim absent a certain assumption you're free to make and I'll happily point out when you do.

So belief in God becomes superfluous for explaining data and hence not as reasonable as not believing in God.
You skipped the part that allows for the conclusion. You know, the working part. Feel free to attempt it.

...or you have a flawed understanding of what anthropology, religion studies and psychology can tell us about belief systems.
You'd have to make the case, since I studied two of the three academically and religious text as something of a hobby during my decades as an atheist, viewing them as a telling window into man's notions of being and value. Good luck doing that as well. I'm prepared for it.

Except that it is impossible to directly experience the attributes of God as described by believers.
Certainly, if you mean by that encompass, but you can experience what there is of God that can be and in that find sufficient reason to hold with the posit.

You can experience something very powerful, but not infinitely powerful. You can experience something wise, but cannot experience the all-knowing.
You're confusing objective proof with subjective impression. I can be absolutely convinced that my wife loves me without being objectively certain or experiencing her feeling in my own being.

On believing what the Bible says is true:

No. Even if we accept that there is a God, it is a HUGE leap to believe that the Bible is a record of Him/It/Her.
That's not really a "no" then, since I haven't said it isn't a leap. I noted an error in your first assumption that impacts the sense of scale in the second.

Indeed, if we take the attributes of God as typically described by believers such as omnicient, benevolent, omnipotent, etc. - then the Bible is arguably unrelated to any such being.
Beauty is arguably unrelated to art. All you need is someone who doesn't see it and who has a differing subjective experience of it, the question being objectively impossible. Doesn't really amount to much of a distinction though.

It contradicts God. Or we have to twist, wiggle and dance with the language and make "benevolent" include genocide, caprice and human sacrifice.
I don't know anyone who would say genocide and benevolent belong in the same sentence...any more than I can think of someone who would frame their favorite ice cream in the context of wisdom or attempt to suggest the sum of our republic is found in the workings of its army.

We have to made omnicience include changing one's mind.
Only if we don't understand literary device or the actual point of a bit or two of scripture.

We have to believe in advance, instead of determining based on observation what to believe.
No, but I suspect there's a bit of irony to be mined here if you think about it.

Added to this is the offering of alternative versions of God. Even if we accept the belief in God, God could just as well be the Muslim or Hindu version or we could make up our own supernatural thing to believe in.
No. "Making up" a thing isn't the result of serious reflection and approach and doesn't signify a mind that recognizes the importance of context. Else, that's part of the struggle, as it is with any principle worth thinking about or living by.

On what we observe now and its relation to whether the Bible is true:

Right. You can choose to ignore contradictory evidence.
As you can choose to pretend it exists. Now what is it you imagine we've accomplished with this part?

Right. You never know. You just assume some are angels.
Rather, the point being that we should live as though the Holy moves among us, as it does. I think of it as a version of "love your neighbor as yourself".

But it could just as well be that the people you welcome into your home are not angels from the Christian context, but elves from the Land of Wonder in some other religious system. Or they could all just be normal people.
The mistake you make with the "elves" context is the old FSM error. That is, you're simply introducing a placeholder that is inferior to the consideration at hand. This is almost always part of an attack by association/inference and doesn't deserve much by way of response.

There is no testable, falsifiable evidence for angels, so it is not reasonable to believe in them, barring a perponderance of social-psychological reinforcement.
There are any number of truths that can't be falsified. It doesn't remove anything but our ability to make objectively demonstrable statements about them.

What if someone told the same story, but it was about Vishnu?
Then it would make for an interesting conversation, I'd imagine. You could suggest, reasonably, that either one or both of us were deluded, or mistaken, or that both of us were using differing language to relate a similar event. I'd have to speak with the adherent. And that's where I'd introduce Lewis and the true Christian myth discussion.

Or Allah? I would never deny that you experienced something. It is entirely reasonable to doubt that it has anything to do with a reality external to you that is related in any but the most tangental way to supernatural beings told about in a collection of iron age texts.
Truth is truth whenever grasped and age is no impediment to it. Else, it's no more reasonable than not, depending on your context, as set out prior. As to why someone long in the skin of skeptical disbelief, comfortable in his thinking, station and prospects would have my experience of God...absent some biological malfunction that left me intellectually unimpaired in relation to my academic pursuit (one reliant on the application of critical thinking)...

Re: the conversion/salvation of man.
Is this belief falsifiable? Is any event - real or imagined - even thinkable that would not fit into this scenario?
Those conversions and alterations are...else, I've never held that the matter of God is resolvable objectively. In fact, I've argued that the atheist's demand for proof and the theist's answer are both wasted efforts. You touched on part of the problem in your experiential note relative to terms. And that's without the added difficulty of establishing a standard that if met would settle the question, objectively, for the person asking it.

For anything I believe, I can conceive of, make up, imagine evidence that would contradict it. Can you?
I don't think the first part is true so it's hard to step around it. God being the actual subject on hand. If you can't fully fathom or define Him you can hardly contradict Him. It's not logical. You're then left to approach and accept or reject what it is you approach, but nothing more than that, reasonably.

And Camping's error wasn't the testable, but that he attempted to verify a thing his own faith and scripture assured him was beyond his understanding or any man's ability. There's an error and a vanity. As to Hindu place holders, I don't argue their part and suggest you take it up with my notice on Lewis if it interests you.

bybee

Then you don't understand probability. It absolutely is. Neither the notion of God or the notion of being absent God are any more or less reliant on an undemonstrable assumption. That's just the long and short of it.

Which also doesn't support either claim absent a certain assumption you're free to make and I'll happily point out when you do.

You skipped the part that allows for the conclusion. You know, the working part. Feel free to attempt it.

You'd have to make the case, since I studied two of the three academically and religious text as something of a hobby during my decades as an atheist, viewing them as a telling window into man's notions of being and value. Good luck doing that as well. I'm prepared for it.

Certainly, if you mean by that encompass, but you can experience what there is of God that can be and in that find sufficient reason to hold with the posit.

You're confusing objective proof with subjective impression. I can be absolutely convinced that my wife loves me without being objectively certain or experiencing her feeling in my own being.

That's not really a "no" then, since I haven't said it isn't a leap. I noted an error in your first assumption that impacts the sense of scale in the second.

Beauty is arguably unrelated to art. All you need is someone who doesn't see it and who has a differing subjective experience of it, the question being objectively impossible. Doesn't really amount to much of a distinction though.

I don't know anyone who would say genocide and benevolent belong in the same sentence...any more than I can think of someone who would frame their favorite ice cream in the context of wisdom or attempt to suggest the sum of our republic is found in the workings of its army.

Only if we don't understand literary device or the actual point of a bit or two of scripture.

No, but I suspect there's a bit of irony to be mined here if you think about it.

No. "Making up" a thing isn't the result of serious reflection and approach and doesn't signify a mind that recognizes the importance of context. Else, that's part of the struggle, as it is with any principle worth thinking about or living by.

As you can choose to pretend it exists. Now what is it you imagine we've accomplished with this part?

Rather, the point being that we should live as though the Holy moves among us, as it does. I think of it as a version of "love your neighbor as yourself".

The mistake you make with the "elves" context is the old FSM error. That is, you're simply introducing a placeholder that is inferior to the consideration at hand. This is almost always part of an attack by association/inference and doesn't deserve much by way of response.

There are any number of truths that can't be falsified. It doesn't remove anything but our ability to make objectively demonstrable statements about them.

Then it would make for an interesting conversation, I'd imagine. You could suggest, reasonably, that either one or both of us were deluded, or mistaken, or that both of us were using differing language to relate a similar event. I'd have to speak with the adherent. And that's where I'd introduce Lewis and the true Christian myth discussion.

Truth is truth whenever grasped and age is no impediment to it. Else, it's no more reasonable than not, depending on your context, as set out prior. As to why someone long in the skin of skeptical disbelief, comfortable in his thinking, station and prospects would have my experience of God...absent some biological malfunction that left me intellectually unimpaired in relation to my academic pursuit (one reliant on the application of critical thinking)...

Those conversions and alterations are...else, I've never held that the matter of God is resolvable objectively. In fact, I've argued that the atheist's demand for proof and the theist's answer are both wasted efforts. You touched on part of the problem in your experiential note relative to terms. And that's without the added difficulty of establishing a standard that if met would settle the question, objectively, for the person asking it.

I don't think the first part is true so it's hard to step around it. God being the actual subject on hand. If you can't fully fathom or define Him you can hardly contradict Him. It's not logical. You're then left to approach and accept or reject what it is you approach, but nothing more than that, reasonably.

And Camping's error wasn't the testable, but that he attempted to verify a thing his own faith and scripture assured him was beyond his understanding or any man's ability. There's an error and a vanity. As to Hindu place holders, I don't argue their part and suggest you take it up with my notice on Lewis if it interests you.

Again, well done TH! I love reading your responses in these cases.
For me, faith in anything is a "thing beyond words". After much plodding intellectual exploration, both pro and con, in a subject of interest to me, I often experience that exponential explosion of getting it, of knowing in a way that makes sense yet requires no further searching.
I believe that the Spiritual knowing precedes the intellectual joy of theological searching.
The path is unique to each of us yet we find similarities along the way.
peace

alwight

Again, well done TH! I love reading your responses in these cases.
For me, faith in anything is a "thing beyond words".
Nothing is beyond words for TH I rather suspect, however whether they always actually mean anything very much or not, is another matter. ;)

Lithopaedion

Unfortunately, it ain't that simple. I know that the faithful would love to lower science to the level of "faith" or elevate faith to the level of reason, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. In our daily lives, when deciding what is true or untrue, we routinely use Occam's Razor. Theists put that on hold arbitrarily for this one particular question. That done, yes, it is a coin toss.

If "universe" and "universe + God" explain the same data, then the first model is more likely.

Correct. But it does great damage to theism because it explains the most obvious problems after origin.

Putting God first doesn't solve the question of origins at all. In fact, it only opens more cans of worms. If nothing can come from nothing, than neither can God. If God has always been here, then I can make the same claim for "the universe". God is more complicated than the universe in either case. See Occam's Razor.

You skipped the part where you clearly articulate where I failed to explain. But we can drop this quibbling. The latter part of this conversation (below) is more interesting.

You said originally that I had the flaw. I was just echoing your assertion. The ball is in your court to explain the problem.

Right - but within those somewhat limited parameters, people experience very different, mutually exclusive gods. Is it pure chance that people experience the gods of their own cultural background or missionary context? Or might we be dealing with something not so supernatural at all?

At the start of this conversation that sounded a bit different to me, but this is a side point.

I have had this conversation before and heard Christians start to excuse all manner of horrific crime because of "context" - the most important context being that God is ordering or condoning the crime. In the next breath, they assert that God is benevolent. The slaughtering of whole societies - or the drowning of all creation! - are "righteous".

Sometimes it's true because that's what the Bible says. Sometimes it is a literary device. Sometimes it is immediately and obviously true. Sometimes we need training. Sometimes it stands alone. Sometimes we need context. The cultural context of the reader and the century we live in determine which, when we read the unchanging word of God. Hell has cooled down significantly over the past few centuries. The divine genocides of the Old Testament are now a literary device.

Okay, but I would say that "serious reflection" requires a much higher degree of doubt and skepticism than is typical in these forums.

"Should" is a normative claim I don't agree with here. I don't think it has been established that there is anything "holy" at all. If society agrees on particular customs and traditions, they should not be violated capriciously. That has something of the "holy" about it. Even though I don't believe in supernatural stuff, I still don't paint mustaches on icons. But that is out of respect for the art and the people, not because there is something "really" holy about it.

The "placeholder" is perfect because it takes the claim being made by the theist and shaves off all the cultural ballast, leaving only the raw claim. Everyone knows that elves or the FSM don't exist. But what does that say about other spooky claims when the latter exhibit the same attributes or ontological status? Dismissing this line of argument because the alleged God is somehow superior in an numinous, inexplicable way, comes across as attempting to bury the issue under the cultural ballast again.

Perhaps you could name a few. If you do, I might say, "Oh, yeah. You're right." Or I might point out an example of possible falsification. Or I might show how the example can reasonably be rejected as not demonstrated as "true."

For clarity - by falsification I do not necessarily mean something that would absolutely prove the opposite. I mean "evidence against." If evidence against something is unimaginable, then it is pointless to talk about evidence at all.

Wow. If I met someone with a similar data set, but with a completely different model to explain the data, I imagine I might go into the conversation with some doubt.

I'll admit that you're not the first theist I have met who claims to be a former atheist, but you're the first in that category to demonstrate any familiarity with the arguments used by atheists. I say that because I have serious doubts when someone claims they were an atheist and then had a complete conversion. Usually, what I think people mean is that they were a "backsliding Christian" or something, at "worst" someone who had lost interest in religion since childhood.

As for a biological malfunction, I don't want to claim to know what happened. But the human mind is capable of a high degree of modularity. There are many cases of people being completely logical about some things and not at all about others - and that is not pathological. Within pathology, there are brain imparements which show that all kinds of things can be "uncoupled" - although the examples I have read about would not appear to apply to complex, cultural convictions (more sensory stuff - like failure to see the right or left side of things, the de-coupling of emotion from the senses, the separation of awareness from actually seeing something consciously, etc. - rather simple brain disorders that I would not apply to this case). I doubt whatever happened in your case is really pathological, although I suppose some atheists could disagree.

Those conversions and alterations are...(evidence of the truth of the biblical account)

...but then conversions to Islam would be evidence of the truth of Islam.

else, I've never held that the matter of God is resolvable objectively. In fact, I've argued that the atheist's demand for proof and the theist's answer are both wasted efforts. You touched on part of the problem in your experiential note relative to terms. And that's without the added difficulty of establishing a standard that if met would settle the question, objectively, for the person asking it.

That is indeed a problem. Part of it stems from some claims about God

- being considered objectively impossible (mutually exclusive - like the theodicy issue) by atheists
...which decides the issue for the atheist, but leaves the theist unconvinced...

- being considered un-measurable (omnipotence) by atheists

...meaning that a definitive answer is out of reach.

In my experience, atheists don't demand "proof," but evidence. The resulting conversations/arguments revolve around how robust/logical/applicable, etc. the proposed evidence is.

I don't think the first part (Lith's claim that all his beliefs are, in principle, falsifiable) is true so it's hard to step around it....

Well, I've toyed with it again and again and challenged people to propose counter-examples, and so far, nothing's turned up. An obvious exception is the claim that "I exist." I can't imagine a falsification for that. For anything else, though, I do my best.

...God being the actual subject on hand. If you can't fully fathom or define Him you can hardly contradict Him. It's not logical. You're then left to approach and accept or reject what it is you approach, but nothing more than that, reasonably.

I guess we atheists have a problem with this "unfathomableness". God would appear to be quite well defined and clear in some contexts. Sometimes, Christians claim to know exactly what "He" is saying or doing or intends. They know what is literal and what is allegory. Some even have all kinds of terminology for subtle points of doctrine. Then, suddenly, in the same conversation, He becomes "unknowable," "undefinable," "not subject to human reason," "unmeasurable," "mysterious in His ways" or some other such qualification. I don't want to say it is an intentional "bait and switch," but it does come off as a nifty way to have it both ways.

Well, I see Camping's error differently. But either way, I find the dismissal of placeholders odd. I'll make a note of the Lewis reference and check it out some time if the "spirit" moves me! :cool:

- Lith

Status
Not open for further replies.