toldailytopic: Do false predictions of end times affect the cause of Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 21st, 2011 09:06 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

In many ways yes. They can drive God haters even further from Him. They give them even more excuses to bad mouth Him. The God haters are looking for every excuse to hate God. False predictions like this add fuel to the fire and can damage the witness of honest Christians.

Some of atheists on here are already starting their bad mouthing using needless phrases like 'imaginary friends' to describe the godhead.

Kooks like date setters give Christians a bad name.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I think yes and no [well I am English :eek:]

Jesus gave many warnings of false prophets and I do believe the pre trib doctrine is awful esp the left behind scam [making billions of dollars]

The greatest danger is tht it has a peculiarly hardening affect and so people forget the dire warnings o watch and pray and be prepared....how many people right now are prepared for an end time struggle?

HOPEFULLY...it will make people get their bibles out and study....that woul be good, but alas they happier if Chuck Missler or Hal Lindsay tell them

Quincy

No, I don't believe it does. Most of us non-Christians know what Christ supposedly said about it and realize that these doomsayers are just psychotic freaks that are paranoid because of things going on in the world. Either that or they are mocking you guys to gain fame and noteriety. This kind of stuff has nothing to do with people not being Christian, at least I'd hope non-Christians are smart enough to not let stuff like this direct their beliefs.

elohiym

Do false predictions of end times affect the cause of Christ?

Ultimately, no.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

There are, however, repercussions from false predictions. For example, the false prediction of the Millerite movement in 1844 led to the formation of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, which many Christians consider a cult due to their false prophet Ellen White.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hal Lindsay :vomit: Ever try to read Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins 'Left Behind' series? :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit: :vomit: I couldn't get through the first three chapters.

Real dumb. A pastor said once that people detest the Bible but love books about the bible. The Left Behind Series isn't even about the Bible anymore. The gospel is completely absent from these books. The same people that pay attention to date setters are the ones that read these books. It is a wacky unscriptural, alarmist brand of Christianity

Last edited by a moderator:

Krsto

Hal Lindsay :vomit: Every try to read Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins 'Left Behind' series? :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit: :vomit: I couldn't get through the first three chapters.

Real dumb. A pastor said once that people detest the Bible but love books about the bible. The Left Behind Series isn't even about the Bible anymore. The gospel is completely absent from these books. The same people that pay attention to date setters are the ones that read these books. It is a wacky unscriptural, alarmist brand of Christianity

Couldn't say it any better than this.

warren clark

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Its been shown that people actually have their faith sgrenthened by a false prediction... go figure.

Flipper

In many ways yes. They can drive God haters even further from Him. They give them even more excuses to bad mouth Him. The God haters are looking for every excuse to hate God. False predictions like this add fuel to the fire and can damage the witness of honest Christians.

Some of atheists on here are already starting their bad mouthing using needless phrases like 'imaginary friends' to describe the godhead.

Kooks like date setters give Christians a bad name.

Not specifically (and even from a Christian perspective I think the NT is pretty clear about no one knowing the time or the hour).

What it does provide is a great illustration of the irrationality of people in groups, even when there's immense pressure to conform. So you can have people who give away everything they have, including their children's college funds, or give up their lives and those of their children rather than surrender to the BATF, or be martyred rather than admit their leader did not rise.

elohiym

... from a Christian perspective I think the NT is pretty clear about no one knowing the time or the hour.

It is a compelling argument.

On one hand, Jesus said that "no man knoweth the Son," but he didn't mean God's children didn't know the Son (Lk 10:22). Further, Jesus also said the end would be like in the days of Noah (Mt 24:37-38), and Noah had a seven day warning (Ge 7:4).

On the other hand, Jesus explicitly said not even the messengers in heaven or the Son knows that day and hour:

Mark 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

I think so, when so called Bible authorities are wrong I believe it gives Christianity a black eye. Why can't even Christians believe Gods word that "no man knows the day" when the Lord will come. The birth pangs are signs for us that the hour is upon us but, no man knows, it will come as thief in the night, just as we were told. These predictions are just sad... :(

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you declare to know when Jesus will return (by date), you're either an idiot or a liar. Neither are very good for Jesus.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you declare to know when Jesus will return (by date), you're either an idiot or a liar. Neither are very good for Jesus.

We have too many idiots running around naming the name of Jesus. It is no small wonder we have so many God haters today.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I don't know if they have any real detrimental effect. I don't know if anyone who was ever serious about coming to OUR LORD was swayed away from HIM because of one.

What I do know is that they hold HIM up to ridicule....and this can't be a good thing.
:nono:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.