toldailytopic: Disaster preparedness plan: how prepared are you?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
At the range I'll be working when I get low on ammo; you'll never hear the shot anyway. :plain:

chrislonghunt2x350.jpg

Tom you keep showing pictures like that and I'll end up making reservations at Whittington Center.

You can't shoot what you don't see.

3522693611_b81f77bfbe.jpg

Wait, is that dude wearing snowy woods camo to a lawn party?

:rotfl: If your going to dress like that make sure your Last Will and Testament is up to date!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Well, I did have a funnier way of saying it, but what's the point now? :mmph:

Hmmm...Yeah, prob'ly not. :plain:

You can't shoot what you don't see.

3522693611_b81f77bfbe.jpg

:think: Wellllll....Yeah....I can see how it might be hard to spot a six foot tall....um....:AMR:....Wombat, is it?

Wait, is that dude wearing snowy woods camo to a lawn party?

I suppose we should be happy he is wearing something. :plain:

How about I just save you...an arrow? :shocked:

:noid:

Alate_One

The problem with saying guns are your preparedness option (for world/civilization ending issues) is what happens when you run out of ammo? Not like anyone will be making anymore for a loong time. :chuckle: In that case I advise one of these:

Atlatl

(Several people killed deer with these last year in MO - the first year they were legal to use)

For short duration preparedness, water, flashlights, solar chargers for cell phones, rechargable batteries etc. Canned/dry food. I have a wind up emergency radio (works with and without batteries) and picks up short wave as well as FM and AM. A solar oven might be a fun addition as well.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
We live in earthquake country, so we keep a lot of canned/dry food on hand, and usually about 30-40 gallons of water, minimum. The usual stuff: flashlights, batteries, camp stove, propane, a couple of cords of wood, blankets, first aid supplies. If you have pets, have extra food and water for them. If you have babies, have extra diapers and wipes, and if you have elderly, make sure they have backups of their medication and know who in the family is prepared to get them to a safe place with family if they're alone.

Also...when we had a huge power outage not long ago, it was pretty difficult to get through on cell phones. Be prepared to not be able to contact loved ones through usual methods and have a backup contact plan in place. Keep your phone charged and have a car charger for when there's no electricity to charge it.

Keep your gas tank always at least half full.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
theologyonline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 29th, 2012 10:51 AM

toldaily topic: Disaster preparedness plan: how prepared are you?

Very. God is in charge. I have a few candles a few batteries and some firewood.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The best way to prepare for disasters is to vote for Obama and others who recognize the cause of the increasing weather disasters that threaten us.

What do mean Obama is the Kenyan word for Disaster...:chuckle:

fool

Hall of Fame
Practice!
Go shut off you main breaker and see what happens.
No furnace.
No boiler.
No refrigderation.
Maybe no water if you have a well (maybe no water even if you are on city water).
Without heat if it's freezing outside you have 72 hours max before your pipes burst and you house is wrecked, no toilets, no kitchen sink, no showers.
Maintaining you little microclimate is the well from which all efforts spring forth so that is of paromount importance.
I guess that may not be so important in the warmer climes, but in the north once the lights go out the clock is ticking.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Practice!
No furnace.
No boiler.
No refrigderation.
Maybe no water if you have a well (maybe no water even if you are on city water).
Without heat if it's freezing outside you have 72 hours max before your pipes burst and you house is wrecked, no toilets, no kitchen sink, no showers.
Maintaining you little microclimate is the well from which all efforts spring forth so that is of paromount importance.
I guess that may not be so important in the warmer climes, but in the north once the lights go out the clock is ticking.

My pipes are all wrapped. I'm on city water that doesn't depend on electricity (I just won't have hot water because I have an electric water heater.). And, I have a wood stove to heat the house with and cook on. If the power goes out, we just don't get into the fridge unless it's necessary.

exminister

Have the generator in place and plenty of food. The only thing that slipped my mind was bringing some firewood in. It is awful trying to bring in wood in the pouring rain and trying to start said wood. So far still on the grid.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So it comes with snappy music you can't turn off?
:)

:chuckle:

I just pulled the first video I found that had something similar to the one my boys made. Theirs is so loud I'm afraid someone will call the cops every time they use it. It's impressive, though. So is the catapult, but that's another issue altogether. :)

drbrumley

Practice!
No furnace.
No boiler.
No refrigderation.

:first:

I am in the warmer climate of Florida.

We are on a well here where I live. If a hurricane blows thru and shuts us down like Hurricane Charley did in 04, we just hook up the generator to the box and let er rip. All the electricity we need. Just have to make sure I have plenty of fuel.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Practice!
No furnace.

I once owned a house that was heated by gas and no blower
the thermocouple generated enough electricity to operate the thermostat

except for the obvious dryness of the air it was the best heating system I have ever experienced

to address the dryness issue, I exhausted the dryer inside the house in the winter months

rainee

We are on the Gulf Coast so we are always looking to improve our disaster preparedness.

I had never thought about our cell phones before, below is what USAA insurance company put out (I really like the idea of having a spare car battery if you have the money and place to keep one and I never knew that about texting):

Have a car phone charger and spare battery. If power is out for an extended period, your car can be a valuable source of energy.

Set up emergency text alerts. Access to television or radio could be limited. By setting up emergency text alerts with your city or insurer when available, you can increase the chance that you'll stay connected wherever you are.

Create a texting phone tree. Create a network of contacts so you can reach them quickly after any sort of extreme weather. Texting may be the only available form of communication.

Take advantage of insurance apps. Some insurance companies, including USAA, allow their customers to report claims using their smartphones to quickly start the recovery process.

Download emergency service apps. Emergency service apps will allow you to access important resources, such as the American Red Cross.

Use mobile banking apps. Many banks have developed mobile banking apps for smartphones and tablets that allow people to move money, pay bills and deposit checks from their phones. Having ready access to your funds can save a lot of headaches in the storm's aftermath.

rainee

My pipes are all wrapped. I'm on city water that doesn't depend on electricity (I just won't have hot water because I have an electric water heater.). And, I have a wood stove to heat the house with and cook on. If the power goes out, we just don't get into the fridge unless it's necessary.

We stay out of the fridge too, but have found we need a really good cooler to keep things cold that we want to use during storm time.

You may have naturally cold weather and your temporary things may sty cool enough?