toldailytopic: Disaster preparedness plan: how prepared are you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 29th, 2012 10:51 AM

toldailytopic: Disaster preparedness plan: how prepared are you?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I usually have a cabinet of canned foods and loads of things frozen (breads, leftovers, etc...). But, since my nephew moved in with me in September, we've depleted my stock. :chuckle: Good thing payday's soon. But, we're supposed to have snow tomorrow. :(

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I am not very prepared for Sandy. I have some food that I can eat. I never got bottled water though. I have a few flashlights around the house. Didn't stock up on batteries. I'll probably survive though. :idunno:

eameece

The best way to prepare for disasters is to vote for Obama and others who recognize the cause of the increasing weather disasters that threaten us.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I admit I am not very prepared for a disaster. I have been intending to become more prepared. What do you think the most important items are? Distilled water?, Canned goods?? What else?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I admit I am not very prepared for a disaster. I have been intending to become more prepared. What do you think the most important items are? Distilled water?, Canned goods?? What else?

I just usually make sure I have canned goods, dried beans, water, and batteries.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Depends on what you are preparing for. If you are preparing for nasty storm, then a wee to ten days of provisions are probably sufficient.

If you are preparing for something longer then provisions for the duration plus some degree of protection are required.

If you are preparing for total global melt down then you better learn to farm, hunt, put up preserves, jerk meat, build from scratch - in short, you better learn to live they way people lived 200 years ago and be able to do it of for an indefinite period of time.

That show, "Doomsday Preparers" always makes me laugh. So far, everyone of those families has made an assumption that normal government functions will be resumed at some point in the future. They hope they have enough food to get to that point. If not, none of them have the skills needed to live a pioneers life.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

:think:

Guns :plain:

Preparedness.jpg

jeremysdemo

I would tell you how prepared I am......but then someone might trace my IP and come and make me a whole lot less prepared....:)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

zoo22

Flashlight, batteries. A radio. Matches. Duct tape. Utensils. First aid kit. Marker and paper. Pictures of everyone in your family. Money. Phone numbers. Legos.

I'm not nearly as disaster prepared as I should be. I have a bag with a few things and some pet food for the pets, but I should be more prepared.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When we/re called up that distinction will keep me up at night and I'll drop the popular usage. Now, about leaving full magazines as a way to store live rounds over time--you know why I don't think of that as a great idea, right?

And my crossbow doesn't flash or need a silencer.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That show, "Doomsday Preparers" always makes me laugh. So far, everyone of those families has made an assumption that normal government functions will be resumed at some point in the future. They hope they have enough food to get to that point. If not, none of them have the skills needed to live a pioneers life.

:chuckle: Me too.

I usually have enough for three or more months worth of food (for me and one other person...have to change that to three people, now though.) and water.

The good thing is that I know how to raise animals and a garden. I don't know how to butcher. But, I have neighbors (1/4 mile away) who raise cattle. So, I'm sure the husband knows how to butcher. I'd be willing to share chickens and pork if someone would butcher them for me. My nephew might be willing to learn to butcher too.

I'm also teaching myself to can vegetables. I already know how to make jellies and jams. And, I know how to dehydrate fruits and vegetables (not meats though).

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
When we/re called up that distinction will keep me up at night and I'll drop the popular usage. Now, about leaving full magazines as a way to store live rounds over time--you know why I don't think of that as a great idea, right?

:think: I'm going to assume that you are not waiting for the obvious response of "avoiding fatiguing the magazine spring" and anxiously await your witty, gun inspired, rejoinder.

And my crossbow doesn't flash or need a silencer.

At the range I'll be working when I get low on ammo; you'll never hear the shot anyway. :plain:

chrislonghunt2x350.jpg

Please take good care of my crossbow until I come for it. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: I'm going to assume that you are not waiting for the obvious response of "avoiding fatiguing the magazine spring" and anxiously await your witty, gun inspired, rejoinder.
Well, I did have a funnier way of saying it, but what's the point now? :mmph:

At the range I'll be working when I get low on ammo; you'll never hear the shot anyway. :plain:
You can't shoot what you don't see.

3522693611_b81f77bfbe.jpg

Wait, is that dude wearing snowy woods camo to a lawn party?

Please take good care of my crossbow until I come for it. :e4e:
How about I just save you...an arrow? :shocked: